HELP! I cannot get this clean
[-]
  •
02-11-2014, 11:55 AM,
HELP! I cannot get this clean
So, my ring came back to me over a year ago with this black stuff in it. Thinking it was just some jewelers polish I never sent it back and have tried to no avail to clean it. You can see in the photos that it is underneath between the WG bezel and the YG bezel. The following methods have been attempted:

Soaking it overnight in vinegar
Soaking it overnight in jewelry cleaner
Taking it to jewelers to have them steam/ultrasonic it
Cleaning with bleach (bad, I know) and toothbrush
Daily cleaning with electric toothbrush and mild soap
Soaking in super hot water and cleaning
Polishing with at home gem/gold polish

You can see the black in the large photo - from the red arrow on the bottom left, up and around, to the red arrow on the bottom right

[img]Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com![/img]

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-11-2014, 12:22 PM,
RE: HELP! I cannot get this clean
omg, no bleach!!!!! LOL

I would send it back to whomever did it to fix. If you have done all that a home remedy is likely not going to work.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-11-2014, 12:27 PM,
Seems like something that needs to be buffed out?

There's broke....and then there is whatever I am...*cry*
[-]
  •
02-11-2014, 02:39 PM,
Yeah, it seems like something that may need polishing?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Slick's post:
  • moissypaws
02-11-2014, 04:45 PM,
Someone recently suggested to me placing baking soda on the ring that is placed on tinfoil (in the sink) then pour boiling-ish water right on top. It sizzled for me and cleaned my new vintage ring.

I don't know if you want to try that, I mean after bleaching didn't work, I imagine you wouldn't mind trying this. Hide

ETA that would drive me crazy too. :/

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • always
02-11-2014, 04:50 PM,
Water that hot can crack gems, please don't. It should only be as hot as you can touch.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-11-2014, 04:53 PM,
Warm water with baking soda and tin foil is used to get tarnish off of silver. There is a chemical reaction that causes it. You do NOT want to use that on colored stones/gems and def. not on anything that has been plated. Not sure if it would work on yellow gold, etc.

There's broke....and then there is whatever I am...*cry*
[-]
  •
02-11-2014, 05:10 PM,
(02-11-2014, 04:53 PM)MicheleZ Wrote: Warm water with baking soda and tin foil is used to get tarnish off of silver. There is a chemical reaction that causes it. You do NOT want to use that on colored stones/gems and def. not on anything that has been plated. Not sure if it would work on yellow gold, etc.

oohh, good to know. I really *should* bite the bullet and send it back. Daniel M even offered last year to pay for it to come back to him and return to me. BUT I have been so in love with it since day one that I have a hard time parting with my ring.

[-]
  •
02-11-2014, 06:11 PM,
My Mom and I never knew YEARS back..that boiling water could harm diamonds etc.. we always (Like weekly) used boiling with a tad of liquid dish detergent and a squirt of windex... to clean our Diamonds.. chains... etc...We never ever had a problem.. I DO NOT recommended this today as its said its not good.... but honestly we never had a problem.... darn we stuck our rings in as the water was bubbling away being boiled!!.. Now I still clean them same way but I use Almost boiling water?!?.. as hot as my finger can stand to be in...I use it on my Moissys and Diamonds.. just NOT boiling like we used to use...

[-]
  •
02-11-2014, 06:12 PM,
(02-11-2014, 05:10 PM)Sparkly Blonde Wrote:
(02-11-2014, 04:53 PM)MicheleZ Wrote: Warm water with baking soda and tin foil is used to get tarnish off of silver. There is a chemical reaction that causes it. You do NOT want to use that on colored stones/gems and def. not on anything that has been plated. Not sure if it would work on yellow gold, etc.

oohh, good to know. I really *should* bite the bullet and send it back. Daniel M even offered last year to pay for it to come back to him and return to me. BUT I have been so in love with it since day one that I have a hard time parting with my ring.

I would send it back to him to have him fix the problem,,, that would drive me bonkers!... I am very OCD when it comes to my Jewelry being clean..;-)