Hand Carved / Engraved Bands
[-]
  •
10-03-2015, 08:25 AM,
Hand Carved / Engraved Bands
I've seen a few beautiful hand carved / engraved bands posted here and now I've put one on my wish list. I'm looking for any advice and recommendations on good vendors to purchase one from as well as things I should consider before buying one.

I do have several questions to start:
- Are the engraved ones done by machine or do hand carved and engraved mean the same?
- Are there designs out there to choose from or is it up the the jeweler doing the work?
- Do I just buy a band and send it to someone to do the work on it or is it best to have the jeweler find the band?
- Do you stack this with others or wear solo?
- Does it matter which finger you wear it on?
- I like the yellow gold color for these even though I usually wear white. Does the carving detail on yellow gold hold up well with regular wear and tear?

And if you would like to post yours here I would love to see it. Smile

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsK's post:
  • bluefly
10-03-2015, 06:00 PM,
RE: Hand Carved / Engraved Bands
Okay, I love engraved bands! I'll try to answer your questions.

1. I think it depends on who does it. I've had hand engraved and it's amazing!
2. There are designs out there. You can find them on the internet too. Of course, you can request something different if you want OR you can leave it up to the goldsmith. I always just let the goldsmith decide.
3. It is best to let the jeweler source the band. Unless you want to have one made by the goldsmith, but that option is more costly. Otherwise, you can ask a jeweler to order you a band. Schubach's orders from many different casting houses with many options to choose from.
4. I have stacked, but I like them solo for the most part. I think the bands look great with a stack, but I have a hard time wearing more than two rings. It is a sensory issue for me.
5. You can wear it on whatever finger you want to wear it!
6. The engraving is going to hold up on any metal you choose. It doesn't wear off or anything like that.

I'll have to look for some pics!

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
10-04-2015, 08:33 AM,
(10-03-2015, 06:00 PM)MrsK Wrote: Okay, I love engraved bands! I'll try to answer your questions.

1. I think it depends on who does it. I've had hand engraved and it's amazing!
2. There are designs out there. You can find them on the internet too. Of course, you can request something different if you want OR you can leave it up to the goldsmith. I always just let the goldsmith decide.
3. It is best to let the jeweler source the band. Unless you want to have one made by the goldsmith, but that option is more costly. Otherwise, you can ask a jeweler to order you a band. Schubach's orders from many different casting houses with many options to choose from.
4. I have stacked, but I like them solo for the most part. I think the bands look great with a stack, but I have a hard time wearing more than two rings. It is a sensory issue for me.
5. You can wear it on whatever finger you want to wear it!
6. The engraving is going to hold up on any metal you choose. It doesn't wear off or anything like that.

I'll have to look for some pics!

Thank you! I would love to see some pics. Do you have recommendations on who to do the work?

[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsK's post:
  • bluefly
10-04-2015, 09:02 AM,
I like Teo at Schubach's the most. Smile

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Emphoto's post:
  • bluefly
10-04-2015, 05:18 PM,
@bluefly I'm so in love with my new hand engraved band by Teo from Schubach's - you commented on my post recently... I highly recommend it! I was lusting after it after seeing it one of MrsK's photos. I searched around for others and found I preferred the design on the Teo the most, it wasn't too flowery or ornate, just right for my taste. I had to get a 2mm width band because my original plan is to stack it with two rings as a wedding set, and I have rather short fingers & not much room for stacking... since I sized up for more comfortable stacking, I can also wear it alone on my right hand ring finger, which is wonderful! I haven't tried stacking yet since my new e ring is still in the works. But if I'd planned for only wearing it alone, I probably would have gone with a wider width ring so I could enjoy the engraving more. It is teensy on the 2mm, I imagine the details are more visible on the 2.5mm or wider band. I can make them out fine so long as I'm outside or in great lighting though. I love how the engraving takes away some of the high polish of the gold so it looks more matte, but then the parts that weren't carved out produce a lovely sparkle! It's really special, quite possibly my favorite piece.

[-] The following 2 users Like MrsK's post:
  • bluefly, CricketBug
10-04-2015, 05:35 PM,
I can't find any pics, but I found video of one I had.

[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • bluefly
10-04-2015, 05:42 PM,
I have never seen anyone that is better than Teo at that stuff. He's a true artist.

[-] The following 1 user Likes HS4S's post:
  • bluefly
10-04-2015, 07:55 PM,
I love my wedding band by Teo at Schubachs. It is amazing!

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • bluefly
10-05-2015, 11:08 AM,
I have had a few now too Smile Schubach's made mine.

1-both are an option. Mine were hand engraved.
2-I sent pics of things I liked and wanted. For example, I said I wanted 3 flowers somewhere, something scrolly, and no wheat,
3-get them to source it or make it.
4-I wore mine with a ring.
5-I think you can wear it wherever!
6-It will take decades to wear down, but you can always have it touched up. The deeper the engraving, the longer it will last.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • bluefly
10-05-2015, 11:12 AM,
this is not on top, but Teo did these

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

and this one

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website