Hazy Amora Gem: sometimes I feel crazy
[-]
  •
12-03-2015, 11:02 AM,
Hazy Amora Gem: sometimes I feel crazy
I've had my FLB cushion since July 2014. I also ordered (and returned) a 2.5ct F FL princess last summer so I've seen 2 AGs in person and also countless videos, photos and read whatever else gets posted.

I have my eye on the new AVC AG (did ya'll see the videos GOG posted over on BTD???  WOW) and I'm thinking about trying again with one of those.  A modern cushion was never my first choice in my forever stone shape....but I was gutted by the princess I saw.  Oval was my second choice.

Anyway, on to my point.  It seems like over here on TFL, AG's fillintheblank (hazy, milky, cloudy, plasticky, "whiteout") look in certain lighting conditions is pretty well considered the factual downside to AG.  "Lack of depth" is another way people put it.

But on BTD, anytime the topic comes up there are a few ladies who just SWEAR that their AG never does this.  Now, obviously I am skeptical of the milkiness-deniers because both the AGs I've seen did the same exact thing.  But omg they SWEAR SO HARD....it makes me feel a little crazy.

Are all AGs really created equal?  Do I have a dud?  Am I the unlucky one?

Are these women blind? 

I mean this is not a subtle visual issue. In my AG this is a very obvious flaw that occurs in about 10% of lighting situations that I have come to accept as a necessary evil.  I'm going to give the F1 a try as well because I've heard F1 is perhaps better and I'd like to see for myself.  But maybe I should be getting hand selected AGs instead.  I mean, is this a thing?  Are some AGs just ugly?

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dancer's post:
  • mmascall
12-03-2015, 11:34 AM,
RE: Hazy Amora Gem: sometimes I feel crazy
I think it might come down to the person and what they're honestly comparing it to, and expectations.

[-] The following 2 users Like Slick's post:
  • minmorocco, stardust
12-03-2015, 01:02 PM,
@minmorocco what you ask about is exactly what has kept me from purchasing one. I have literally stalked and saved pics of this phenomenon. I really appreciate your honesty and hope you get some truthful responses here from others who own them.  Popcorn
I'm sorry you're happy only 90% of the time. I guess that's pretty good odds for a simulant? But I can thankfully and honestly say that I love my oec moissy pretty much 100% of the time, I'm besotted with it. I guess that also keeps me from buying an AG. Though so far the AG AVC looks gorgeous!!  Hide

[-]
  •
12-03-2015, 01:12 PM,
The AVC AG video was so exciting to watch! I can't wait to start seeing reviews from actual owners and their videos/pics on real hands in settings!!! I hope it is as good IRL as it looks on the tape just released! The facet pattern is really pretty.

[-] The following 1 user Likes canary22's post:
  • minmorocco
12-03-2015, 01:12 PM,
(12-03-2015, 11:02 AM)minmorocco Wrote: I've had my FLB cushion since July 2014. I also ordered (and returned) a 2.5ct F FL princess last summer so I've seen 2 AGs in person and also countless videos, photos and read whatever else gets posted.

I have my eye on the new AVC AG (did ya'll see the videos GOG posted over on BTD???  WOW) and I'm thinking about trying again with one of those.  A modern cushion was never my first choice in my forever stone shape....but I was gutted by the princess I saw.  Oval was my second choice.

Anyway, on to my point.  It seems like over here on TFL, AG's fillintheblank (hazy, milky, cloudy, plasticky, "whiteout") look in certain lighting conditions is pretty well considered the factual downside to AG.  "Lack of depth" is another way people put it.

But on BTD, anytime the topic comes up there are a few ladies who just SWEAR that their AG never does this.  Now, obviously I am skeptical of the milkiness-deniers because both the AGs I've seen did the same exact thing.  But omg they SWEAR SO HARD....it makes me feel a little crazy.

Are all AGs really created equal?  Do I have a dud?  Am I the unlucky one?

Are these women blind? 

I mean this is not a subtle visual issue. In my AG this is a very obvious flaw that occurs in about 10% of lighting situations that I have come to accept as a necessary evil.  I'm going to give the F1 a try as well because I've heard F1 is perhaps better and I'd like to see for myself.  But maybe I should be getting hand selected AGs instead.  I mean, is this a thing?  Are some AGs just ugly?

I don't think you're crazy! I think each rough is grown individually and some batches may be better rough than others. Robotic cutting has nothing to do with--it's a lab grown gem, and while it will be uniform, just like no two diamond roughs are the same, I would be hard pressed to believe that every rough of Amora Gem is EXACTLY THE SAME.

I think the F1 cut (especially the hearts and arrows, MoissaniteCo sells the H&A cushion) is incredible and most the diamond like stone I've seen yet. But that's just me. I think their smaller arrows make it look like more a realistic cut and creates less space in between the facets/arrows for light to stop and hold in the hazy structure. I could be totally wrong though--I don't own one. Just thinking from a logical standpoint!

[-] The following 1 user Likes wiigal's post:
  • Dancer
12-03-2015, 02:18 PM,
No you are not crazy. Every one AG that I purchased and seen has the milky, plasticky, hazy, white out look in certain lights. I think it is just the nature of the material. Some ladies claim they don't see it in their stone, but then they post pictures showing the white out look.....So....maybe they don't know what to look for?

It is a beautiful stone, but just not under ALL lighting situations, and certainly not better than a great diamond. But better than a crappy diamond?

The AVC looks great in the video. But you have to note that he is doing comparisons under lighting where both the AG and diamond look good. It is a promotional/marketing video. They aren't going to show you the stones when it looks bad.

There probably are some differences between stones and between batches of rough. Some ladies try several stones before finding one that they love. But in general, I think they are all pretty similar.

No... these women probably aren't blind. Dancer is right. It depends on what you compare it to and your expectations. If you only have some melee diamonds at home to compare the AG to, you are probably going to think it looks great. If you take the AG to Tiffanys and compare it to the same color, great cut, clarity and size diamond, you will be severely disappointed. Some women are also picker than others and notice the finer details. If you just want a sparkly stone, you will probably like it. If you want it to be equal to a diamond or better, you probably will feel like it falls short.

The H&A F1 to me is more diamond-like as well. A cut more similar to traditional diamonds. Has greater depth and clearer facets than the AG as well. Less pastel flashes of color. Cheaper. But i think the AG has a bit more fire. It is important to note that the F1 does the hazy, white out thing as well, but not as badly as the AG.

[-] The following 1 user Likes lovedogs's post:
  • Slick
12-03-2015, 03:17 PM,
(12-03-2015, 01:02 PM)Slick Wrote: @minmorocco what you ask about is exactly what has kept me from purchasing one. I have literally stalked and saved pics of this phenomenon. I really appreciate your honesty and hope you get some truthful responses here from others who own them.  Popcorn
I'm sorry you're happy only 90% of the time. I guess that's pretty good odds for a simulant? But I can thankfully and honestly say that I love my oec moissy pretty much 100% of the time, I'm besotted with it. I guess that also keeps me from buying an AG. Though so far the AG AVC looks gorgeous!!  Hide

+1 to this! I have been stalking this phenom as well, and have been considering an AG for well over a year now but still haven't purchased one because I am afraid of this. That's another reason I'm interested to hear more opinions and see more pics of the F1 since I wonder if that would be better in this regard. But you aren't crazy, that's for sure! 

@wiigal thanks for your comment on this in terms of comparing the AG to the F1. Interesting that it also has the white out issue but less often. But sad that it doesn't have as many pastel flashes, since that's what I LOVE about my FB OEC moissy. I wish they would make an F1 OEC!!!

[-]
  •
12-03-2015, 03:24 PM,
(12-03-2015, 02:18 PM)wiigal Wrote: No you are not crazy.  Every one AG that I purchased and seen has the milky, plasticky,  hazy,  white out look in certain lights.  I think it is just the nature of the material.  Some ladies claim they don't see it in their stone, but then they post pictures showing the white out look.....So....maybe they don't know what to look for?

It is a beautiful stone, but just not under ALL lighting situations, and certainly not better than a great diamond.  But better than a crappy diamond?

The AVC looks great in the video.  But you have to note that he is doing comparisons under lighting where both the AG and diamond look good.  It is a promotional/marketing video.  They aren't going to show you the stones when it looks bad.  

There probably are some differences between stones and between batches of rough.  Some ladies try several stones before finding one that they love.  But in general, I think they are all pretty similar.

No... these women probably aren't blind.  Dancer is right.  It depends on what you compare it to and your expectations.  If you only have some melee diamonds at home to compare the AG to, you are probably going to think it looks great.  If you take the AG to Tiffanys and compare it to the same color, great cut, clarity and size diamond, you will be severely disappointed.  Some women are also picker than others and notice the finer details.  If you just want a sparkly stone, you will probably like it.  If you want it to be equal to a diamond or better, you probably will feel like it falls short.

The H&A F1 to me is more diamond-like as well.  A cut more similar to traditional diamonds.  Has greater depth and clearer facets than the AG as well.  Less pastel flashes of color.  Cheaper.  But i think the AG has a bit more fire.  It is important to note that the F1 does the hazy, white out thing as well, but not as badly as the AG.

I don't really feel like I'm a particularly detail oriented person which is where the "I feel crazy" comes in here. The AG milkiness is not subtle...in fact I'd say it's certainly as obvious as "warmth" would be.  Maybe even more so.   And yes, I have commented to posters that while they claim their AG is never milky, that they've posted pics that seemed quite milky and that hasn't gone over well at all.

I'm not sure I agree that comparing taking AG to tiffany's would be all that depressing.  I'm sure AG would look wonderful in Tiffany's.  But take AG into let's say a Dr's office, and compare it to a tiffany's diamond and then you'd see some pretty big differences.  I took my AG to Cartier the other day because I was running an errand and she looked amazing (as she does whenever she's in ideal lighting situations).  The SA asked to clean my ring for me while I was waiting and when she handed it back she complimented my amazing "diamond."  I know that this is something that's very much in the eye and expectations of the beholder.  

It just bothers me to think maybe I don't have "the best" AG I could have.  And it makes me think next time I order one I should have it hand picked rather than ordering it direct from BTD.  But logic tells me that this wouldn't make a difference.

I'm glad you said that about the F1 because I really wondered how this would be limited only to AG SiC .  It makes sense that the optics would be similar in the similar materials.  

I've never seen Moissanite in person so my experience and observations are limited to AG.

[-]
  •
12-03-2015, 03:37 PM,
For the curious, here's my AG being milky

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

[-] The following 1 user Likes wiigal's post:
  • minmorocco
12-03-2015, 05:09 PM,
Let me clarify what I mean about Tiffany. Yes the AG would look good inside the store since their lighting is so bright. But take the AG and the Tiffany diamond and step outside the store under regular mall lighting. The AG will look pretty crummy compared to the Tiffany diamond.