Help!!!
[-]
  •
01-07-2014, 11:32 PM,
Help!!!
Over the last month or so I've started to notice this brownish/blueish almost oil slick like stain on my FB moissanite. I've searched for solutions.... I've read the thread on BTD. None of the "fixes" are working for me. Given that the BTD thread is mostly from 2011 I'm hoping maybe someone might have a solution that wasn't posted there. I'm at my wits end... It is incredibly annoying. Please help!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
01-08-2014, 12:10 AM,
RE: Help!!!
(01-07-2014, 11:32 PM)EmeMac Wrote: Over the last month or so I've started to notice this brownish/blueish almost oil slick like stain on my FB moissanite. I've searched for solutions.... I've read the thread on BTD. None of the "fixes" are working for me. Given that the BTD thread is mostly from 2011 I'm hoping maybe someone might have a solution that wasn't posted there. I'm at my wits end... It is incredibly annoying. Please help!

Is it poss to see the pics?

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
01-08-2014, 12:17 AM,
I read somewhere that toothpaste on a baby tootbrush will help remove it.. Car polish.. YES I said Car polish..;-)....sounds weird but I tried it on my own Moissy that had a weird things on its crown and it worked.... I also read that Mr. Clean Magic erasers work well.....I tried that as well.. no harm to the stone at all...I used it after the Car polish to make sure the mark was gone.......

its water deposit build up I believe that leaves that strange mark..

[-]
  •
01-08-2014, 12:42 AM,
Absolutely... I have a few. They're not that great, but they get the point across. Also the brown you see on the facets is not a reflection. It is most definitely a haze or a stain. Very similar to others who have posted this issue.
[img]Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com![/img]
[img]Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com![/img][img]Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com![/img][img]Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com![/img]

[-]
  •
01-08-2014, 12:58 AM,
I can clearly see it. Did you try ultrasonic? It would be great to know what you tried already. I saw fairly recently MikeC posted that Sunshine Cleaner jewelrey cloth gets it off although some "elbow grease" is required.
Edit: I just found his post and this is what he said:

"This is an old thread, but I wanted to report that we have the sunshine polishing cloths will take off the stain (but it takes a little elbow grease):

http://www.sunshinepolishingcloth.com/su...cloth.html

"

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
01-08-2014, 01:01 AM,
I can clearly see it too...Looks like the other pics that are posted on BTD of others who had the same problem... did you try toothpaste and a toothbrush and scrub the area?..and ultrasonic will do nothing.... the area needs to be rubbed off......its buildup.... toothpaste.. car polish or a Magic eraser should take care of it..... I will not hurt your stone...

[-] The following 1 user Likes Slick's post:
  • LaurieLee
01-08-2014, 05:23 AM,
@ememac I too thought I saw a slight greasy looking film on my OEC. I found that using a silver polish (I bought at Walmart for silverware, it's a blue paste) on a soft cloth and some elbow grease took it off. I couldn't see it after I did that. It's early and I'm on my way to work so I can't post pictures, but it's called Weiman and it's in a white and black bottle the size of like a small shampoo for about $6.
Good luck! Keep us posted.

ETA I didn't find toothpaste or car polish worked for me well, but I may not have had the same products as @LaurieLee

[-]
  •
01-08-2014, 05:44 AM,
Oh!... I do remember reading silver polish worked too..((glad it worked for you @Sandeek))..... I guess it all depends on how stubbing that stain is on the Moissy as to what product works best...:-)

[-]
  •
01-08-2014, 12:22 PM,
yes, silver polish and elbow grease, or a magic eraser and elbow grease. It doesn't just come off. It is sticky, so you have to work at it.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 1 user Likes Purdy's post:
  • LaurieLee
01-08-2014, 01:09 PM,
Thank you for the responses...

This is the strangest little phenomena. I can literally drag my fingernail through the spots and it will leave a visible trail. Still no matter what I've tried it just pushes whatever it is around my moissy, but never off. It's like it's mocking me. Cry
Here's what I have tried: ultrasonic cleaner, steam cleaning, vinegar, traditional jewelry cleaner, toothpaste (a couple different brands as this fix seemed to garner the most results - not for me though), magic eraser (all I had was the generic Target brand. Maybe I need the real deal), jewelry polishing cloth (though not the sunshine cloth), a paste of the Bar Keepers Friend and some Nevr-dull magic wadding polish. All methods involved lots of elbow grease as well; I'm no quitterHithead!!!!! Last night in desperation I let it soak in windex. I'm sure I've missed something... It feels like I've tried everything. I'm exhausted, but I'm not done trying. Looks like some silver polish is in order.

I will keep you posted...