Help me out with this "simple" solitaire?
[-]
  •
03-27-2013, 12:18 PM,
Help me out with this "simple" solitaire?
OK, so I've decided to scrap the SS replica and go with a simple solitaire. It will have my 10 mm Amora OEC in it.

The choices are either a replica of Phoenix's ring from Leon:
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!
or another Leon repro, the Princessa:
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Essentially the only difference between the two is one has a cathedral style shank and the other does not. With a stone of this size, should I have a preference? I like both, don't particularly care about flush fit, as long as the stone doesn't sit crazy high then I'm ok ... but I've never had a cathedral style and don't know if there are things about them to consider for some reason or other.

Also, if I want to be able to stack different kinds of bands (not all at the same time!), knowing that some will be diamond, or engraved, or bezel-set, or a Tiffany-style Swing ... which kind of shank do y'all recommend for the solitaire as the best for "blending in"? The domed as shown? Or would a knife edge or flatter style be best? I prefer the look of the domed as it just appears to be both comfortable and pretty, but am not married to any particular style. I do have a thing about things "going with" each other so even if they aren't a matched set, they have to at least not clash wildly. All my previous rings have been matched sets, so I am kind of clueless on this shank thing.

And what are y'all's opinions on a bit of milgrain on the "bar" between the prongs? I saw a setting with it recently, just some very delicate milgrain and it looked very pretty. But again, not at all married to it and would go with the consensus on whether or not it would add or detract.

Thanks for any opinions! I'm going to be sending the "halt the setting!" email shortly Hide so would like to have it narrowed down to what I *do* want before I go off asking for anything else!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-27-2013, 12:21 PM,
RE: Help me out with this "simple" solitaire?
Both are beautiful!

[-]
  •
03-27-2013, 12:50 PM,
I think my vote is for the Princessa! I say go with the shank that you will find most appealing. Just my .02

[-]
  •
03-27-2013, 12:53 PM,
100% cathedral shank. NO question for me. It provides more visual balance in my opinion.

[-]
  •
03-27-2013, 12:54 PM,
I love the bottom one! I like a graceful cathedral and I feel with a stone that big I would want a bit more protection. Maybe it isn't necessary.

[-]
  •
03-27-2013, 12:57 PM,
Yep cathedral.

[-]
  •
03-27-2013, 01:03 PM,
(03-27-2013, 12:53 PM)stardust Wrote: 100% cathedral shank. NO question for me. It provides more visual balance in my opinion.

Ahhh, that's what it is! I totally agree with this but couldn't pinpoint what I didn't like about the first ring as compared to the second one.

[-]
  •
03-27-2013, 01:05 PM,
(03-27-2013, 01:03 PM)MrsFloppy Wrote:
(03-27-2013, 12:53 PM)stardust Wrote: 100% cathedral shank. NO question for me. It provides more visual balance in my opinion.

Ahhh, that's what it is! I totally agree with this but couldn't pinpoint what I didn't like about the first ring as compared to the second one.

Exactly! I think the first one looks like the stone is sitting precariously on top of the band which would make me think it is susceptible to break off.

[-]
  •
03-27-2013, 01:09 PM,
I vote cathedral!

[-]
  •
03-27-2013, 01:10 PM,
Holy carp....are we being all unanimous and what-not?