Help please with choosing diamond alternative!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jenngettingmarried's post:
  • Bluespawkles
01-11-2015, 08:13 PM,
Wink  Help please with choosing diamond alternative!
Hi ladies, I'm a new member here Smile been stalking the board for a while now but am usually quiet. Finally registered because i'm finally in the "ring talks" with my boyfriend who had always thought he would get a traditional diamond until i stumbled into the world of moissies! (and other alternatives)

ive read up about moissies/AGs/ Ashas for about 4 months now but am still a little confused over what i should choose for myself.

This is what i like in my ering stone:
- Solitaire setting
- G/H/I colour
- Sparkly but not overly so such that it looks like i'm overdoing it
- depth and slight warmth
- Durable
- 6.5-7mm diameter

Initially i was really caught up with the AG hype and put myself on the waiting list however going through lots of threads here it seems like the AG might not really live up to its hype. I am also quite wary about the thicker H&As in the AG.

Then i looked into the FB H&A moissies and they're beautiful. Although i'm ideally looking for about 7mm, i'm ok with going for the smaller 6.5mm one but it seems there is a big variation in terms of the colour. I was going to get Beth from Schubach's to handpick one for me - do you think that would help?

Amora moissy: Thought about this as well, but was worried that it might be too white. Also worried about the variation in cut as opposed to the FB H&A where the cut is more or less standardized (?? correct me if i'm wrong!! Confused )

Unenhanced moissy: might be too warm for my liking although again, could i get beth to handpick the whitest unenhanced moissy? would this be a good choice??

Thanks ladies if you could give me some advice. As much as i can read the threads, i dont have ready access to getting the stones and returning them (i'm from Singapore! Blush) so i can only stalk videos and pictures from here.

Banana

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like MrsK's post:
  • Bluespawkles, stardust
01-11-2015, 08:31 PM,
RE: Help please with choosing diamond alternative!
Hi there! Welcome!

I think Beth would be able to pick you a pretty H&A. The newer round brilliants are cut very nicely as well. RBs will be a little whiter than H&A. If you went with FB, you will get whiter, but not too white. I would trust Beth to pick a good one for either FB or unenhanced. At 6.5-7mm, you'd probably bet able to get away with unenhanced.

Since it's tough for you to mail back and forth, you could ask that Schubach's do a video a couple of stones for you to pick.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • Bluespawkles
01-11-2015, 09:06 PM,
Welcome! And congrats on your upcoming engagement!

I think AGs or FB moissy are both good options. In that size the FB will not be too warm, and I am certain Beth could pick you one with a great cut. I have not seen an AG in person, and in pisc the arrows do not appeal to me, but I have talked with Joe about them and he says in real life you cannot even see them. So I would not rule one out. Beth can help you with that too. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 2 users Like HaloLuv's post:
  • Bluespawkles, mmascall
01-15-2015, 10:33 PM,
I think you would be really happy with an AG. I always say see it for yourself and make your own decision.

[-] The following 2 users Like stardust's post:
  • Bluespawkles, mmascall
01-15-2015, 10:43 PM,
I have never owned an AG or an H&A moissy. I have had quite a few moissanites though (understatement of the century) and I have to say....I love the unenhanced the best. I have a gorgeous Amora Moissanite (different than the AG), I've had and have FB moissies and I have had a lot of unenhanced.

For me, I don't think anything will surpass the unenhanced moissanites.

I do agree....you should get a few, maybe an AG, an FB, a H&A etc and see them all, unset, in person before you choose.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Dancer's post:
  • Bluespawkles
01-16-2015, 12:48 PM,
I had a list of wants almost the same as yours, so I had Beth at schubachs make me a comp vid between a hand picked h&a moissy, and a me-picked G amoragem ultra. I don't have the youtube link, maybe someone can help as I'm on my phone, but I thought it was a great video to show warmth levels. And yes the arrows are definitely not as well seen on person for the AG, I'm in love with mine and so happy I chose it.

[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 11:00 PM,
Hm, um, I know this is weird, but I actually think my moissies look more diamond-like than my AG. I love my AG, wouldn't trade it for anything, but it's so DANG sparkly and fiery that it doesn't look that diamond-like to me. Again though, only a sparkle addict would know or notice that. I don't think anyone around me would know what it was. But AGs also do something my moissies have never done, and they kind of white out in certain lights, look almost fuzzy, and don't have the contrast diamonds do. They are beautiful for what they are, but honestly not really a diamond replacement to me. At least the one I have.
Also, my AG is a little odd in that it is an H color, so an enhanced moissy could get to the same color. But honestly, when I opened it, my first thought was Moissanite on steroids. Such odd, crazy sparks and rainbows. Can you get one of both to see in person? Pictures really don't tell the whole picture with AGs
I love my AG though, because my fave thing about moissy is the rainbow and the sparks. So more of those? Yes, please. But I don't think it's more of a diamond alternative. In fact, I think it has more giveaways. But who would know but sparkle addicts?

[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 11:08 PM,
(01-16-2015, 12:48 PM)Dancer Wrote: I had a list of wants almost the same as yours, so I had Beth at schubachs make me a comp vid between a hand picked h&a moissy, and a me-picked G amoragem ultra. I don't have the youtube link, maybe someone can help as I'm on my phone, but I thought it was a great video to show warmth levels. And yes the arrows are definitely not as well seen on person for the AG, I'm in love with mine and so happy I chose it.

here is that video Wink

But since every moissy and AG seem to be different, I would still consider ordering some to compare.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 1 user Likes LaurieLee's post:
  • Bluespawkles
01-18-2015, 03:46 AM,
Just reading this thread .. there are so many options today to choose from... Moissanite is Beautiful .. un-enhanced and the Forever Brilliant.. I really do not think anyone would question a Moissanite as a diamond replacement (my opinion as I feel they look quite diamond like. especially the OEC cut)..as for the Amora Ultra gem there are so many different opinions concerning it.. some love it, some feel its looks nothng like a diamond... there are a lot of posts with pictures/videos on the forum where the Amora gem Originated,.. from the newest pictures of them (Brit's pics and videos right on this forum ) I say they are really very Beautiful! ..Especially in the lower colors like a G or an H colored Amora Ultra gem stone stone.. the whiter ones to my eye . D or and E...are just too white.. But that me... I Love warmth and depth to a stone........@Bluespawkles Speaking of Crazy Sparks and Rainbows!!....look at the rainbow of colors coming from this 10 carat Round diamond!!!!....its like its lit from inside with firecrackers..;-) I don't know how to post a video so I'll try a link..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv0-OoVW_ro

[-]
  •
01-18-2015, 05:52 AM,
oh but haven't ya'll heard? The AG/milkiness/haziness/whiteout is just a myth started by all the bitter hags who had the badluck to get subpar AGs. ::Eyeroll::

Meanwhile, in the real world, does anybody else have a theory as to what happened to that Good old Gold AG review that happened and then didn't happen?