His and Hers rings
[-] The following 1 user Likes EarthDiva's post:
  • MrsFloppy
02-28-2014, 12:38 PM,
His and Hers rings
I'm switching gears a bit on the project I'm working on for my DH. Dizzy DH does not want a cultured/lab stone and the quality of mined rubies in our price range is icky. If we are going to go "natural" I don't want heavily treated... So, we are going to go with sapphires!!!

Such a bummer that I don't have a sapphire ring and will have to make one, right? Wink My original e-ring was a 2 carat, hot pink step-cut natural sapphire in a diamond halo (it was stolen in the mail system en route to being reset). Until very recently I have always been a pink girl...I am actually newer to primary colors, lol. @jenncent @grapefruitlove @kangaroocrazy and @ JooJooBee4 - you guys have gotten me bitten with the pink bug ALL OVER AGAIN!

Here are my thoughts for our his & hers anniversary rings...any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

For DH, I found a precision cut Montana sapphire oval; it is just under 8x6mm (heat only). I haven't purchased it yet but I think I will. To be set in a rounded band (per my other thread on the subject ya'll helped me with) with a raised bezel.

[img]Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!
itaisapphire by alexa.suez, on Flickr[/img]

For me, I bought a 9mm, precision cut light pink sapphire cushion (heat only). It's light pink with very slight violet undertones. Will update with better pics later.

alexasapphire by alexa.suez, on Flickr[/img]

Now onto the ring design! I'm thinking something like this except the stone will be smaller and with a raised bezel. When we were talking rubies I was all about yellow gold, but now that we are talking sapphires, what if we did a white gold band with a rose gold bezel???!!!

men's sapphirebezel by alexa.suez, on Flickr[/img]

For me, I'm thinking of a LM inspired like this, but I need help with the stone proportions... My pink sapphire is 9mm and I want to do moissy cushions. What do you think? 5mm? 5.5 or 6mm? I'm thinking either all white gold or white with a rose gold center basket to pinky-up the sapphire.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!
leonmege3stonecushion by alexa.suez, on Flickr

My favorite idea (it literally came to me in a dream last night, lol!) is to put a pink, hidden surprise stone inside DH's band and a blue one in mine. HeartHeartHeart

Sorry for the novel!

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes sparkletiger's post:
  • JuBe
02-28-2014, 12:49 PM,
RE: His and Hers rings
@EarthDiva This whole thing ^^^ sounds devine ! Best ideas always come in one's sleep, that's for sure! I am also loving the idea of peekaboo stones inside each of your rings mirroing the main stone in the other one's ring. OMG , it is gonna be gorgeous!
I agree, if you want to go natural, it is almost impossible to find a good quality ruby at a decent price, but you can still get your paws on a nice sapphire.
This is so romanitc!!! HeartHeartHeart

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
02-28-2014, 12:58 PM,
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of putting a teeny tiny blue stone in your ring and vice versa. That is so romantic!!

All the rest of it sounds great to me. As for your sidestones with your pink cushion, are you opposed to ordering some moissanite (since you'll need to buy some anyhow) in both sizes and seeing what appeals to you that way? I think 6mm would be nice but sometimes seeing it in person helps one know for sure.

[-]
  •
02-28-2014, 12:59 PM,
(02-28-2014, 12:49 PM)sparkletiger Wrote: @EarthDiva This whole thing ^^^ sounds devine ! Best ideas always come in one's sleep, that's for sure! I am also loving the idea of peekaboo stones inside each of your rings mirroing the main stone in the other one's ring. OMG , it is gonna be gorgeous!
I agree, if you want to go natural, it is almost impossible to find a good quality ruby at a decent price, but you can still get your paws on a nice sapphire.
This is so romanitc!!! HeartHeartHeart

Thanks @sparkletiger ! I got my first decent night's sleep in a while...the little moppet did a 5 hour/3 hour stretch Cheer2 so my wee wittle brain finally got a break and got creative, lol. It's such a bummer that natural rubies are so unattainable but I did know that going in. I'm just an equal opportunity sparkle fiend!!! Don't care where it was made as long as it's pretty. Since DH does care, I think sapphires are a solid way to go and I'm glad you agree!

[-]
  •
02-28-2014, 12:59 PM,
I have to say...

I am partial to the blue stone you may purchase!!

Its wonderfulllllllllllllllllll!!

Can you believe I am thinking of "trying" blue also!! LMAO!!

but but buttttttttt...I need it to be OEC!!!

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-28-2014, 01:10 PM,
I love both them! You know I heart blue sapphires Smile I am still on my quest to find the perfect oval one day!

I would go with 5.5mm for the side stones on yours. Do mind the cut and inclusions in the pink stone? It looks like there is an X or serious inclusions going through the center and side of the stone. It could just be the photo at that point in time though!

What stone vendor are you going through?

[-]
  •
02-28-2014, 01:14 PM,
@MrsFloppy - thanks. I'm not opposed to that idea. Being a precision cut stone, the sapphire should be very sparkly and have good light return, but as we know moissy is soooo over the top sparkly I don't want the sides overwhelm the sapphire. Particularly as it's a light color. This worries me a little, actually. I may have to see it in person to know.

@kangaroocrazy - you should completely do an OEC sapphire! Custom cutting is always an option if you can't find one you like.

[-]
  •
02-28-2014, 01:20 PM,
(02-28-2014, 01:10 PM)JooJooBee4 Wrote: I love both them! You know I heart blue sapphires Smile I am still on my quest to find the perfect oval one day!

I would go with 5.5mm for the side stones on yours. Do mind the cut and inclusions in the pink stone? It looks like there is an X or serious inclusions going through the center and side of the stone. It could just be the photo at that point in time though!

What stone vendor are you going through?

It's a weird pic. The stone is eye clean and the cut looks really nice to me in the other photos. The vendor pulled them after it sold and i only copied the one lame-o one, lol, as I was just bookmarking it. I have requested more, though, and will update with better pics as soon as I get them.

eta- it's pristine gemstones on etsy. they have two sites: one w/ stones and another w/ set jewelry and both have lots of good reviews so i'm hopeful the stones live up to that - we shall see!

[-]
  •
02-28-2014, 01:21 PM,
But @EarthDiva

I am cheap......lol

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-28-2014, 01:25 PM,
OK! I figured it must have just been the photo Smile Excited to see this one!!!!!!!!!!!