Hmmmmm...
[-]
  •
05-29-2013, 02:39 PM,
Hmmmmm...
I'm not sure it's going to work out well for the vendor who made this ring:
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/152400044/9m...ome_active

Considering that Sally's design's *are* copyrighted according to her listings, no? And it looks pretty much like a copy to me, even if nicely done. A real Lotus:
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

I usually don't jump into the fray with who copied who and what's left that's original in any design and alla that. But Sally's Lotus is pretty much a design that everyone knows came from her, at least from what I've seen over the past few years?

Discuss?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
05-29-2013, 02:50 PM,
RE: Hmmmmm...
I tried really hard to find differences but I'm coming up pretty short. I wouldn't purchase from a vendor that is breaking copyright laws BUT I do know that it's pretty hard to copyright a design....

Love that ring though!

ETA: maybe the Etsy vendor didn't know about the copyright and just needs to be informed?

[-]
  •
05-29-2013, 02:54 PM,
I actually think if it was just the head and not adding the very distinct curls on the shank, and changed the shank up, then she could've gotten away with calling it a lotus ring just fine. Many vendors have a version of a "Lotus". Adding the curls and the same rounded shank, though, that's hard to say it's not an exact or near exact copy. And like I said, I don't really get into the copyright shenanigans debates at all as a general rule - I think this is the first one I've seen where the designer (Sally) makes a note in all her listings that her design *is* copyrighted - most don't that I have noticed.

[-]
  •
05-29-2013, 02:58 PM,
Copyrighted in what country though is the question....that does suck though.

[-]
  •
05-29-2013, 03:12 PM,
That really sucks, because it's obviously one of Sally's special designs. People suck. Like LB said, they easily could have tweaked it a little bit so it wasn't an exact copy.

Like this one from the same seller: http://www.etsy.com/listing/152405899/ol...ome_active
Is different enough that I think it's fine (and actually I like it more than the original lotus).

I was so paranoid about this stuff, before I designed my own lotus design, I googled lotus rings to make sure there wasn't anything similar out there. I think it's one thing to have a jeweler custom make something for you that's a copy of something else, but for a store to sell exact copies of another design, not by special request, and not to credit the designer, isn't cool. For some reason a custom project that copies something else doesn't offend me, I think of it as a compliment. But for stores to sell copies, that rubs me the wrong way.

[-]
  •
05-29-2013, 03:28 PM,
I think the unfortunate thing is that a lot of people, myself included, prefer to buy domestically so as not to mess with international shipping and customs and tracking, etc, so the copies may be preferred.

[-]
  •
05-29-2013, 04:10 PM,
Apparently, someone here is a big fan of this Etsy vendor's work, because she joined within an hour of this thread being posted.

Or maybe a lurker is trying to start some drama.

For the record, I like both of the designs.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
05-29-2013, 04:21 PM,
PopcornPopcorn

[-]
  •
05-29-2013, 04:22 PM,
Devil

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MicheleZ's post:
  • MrsK
05-29-2013, 04:23 PM,
That reminds me - we have popcorn at home....