How do you clean your pearls?
[-]
  •
11-14-2014, 06:49 AM,
How do you clean your pearls?
I am a member of another *gasp* forum for people from my college - and those ladies are asking about how to clean their pearls. What are your top tips?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-14-2014, 11:01 AM,
RE: How do you clean your pearls?
There a few ways.

If they are strung on silk, you can only use a damp cloth. Otherwise it will ruin the silk.

If they are strung on a synthetic, you can out them in a pair of panty hose (unclasped) and submerge them in warm soapy water and kind of rub the tights on them. This is a good way to get them really clean.

I also have a pearl safe cleaner. I tend to use it on my pearl earrings the most, but it could be used on a necklace, to wipe them down. Or mixed with water. Most of mine are on synthetic thread, so I tend to soak them for 10 minutes and then lay them flat to dry.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-14-2014, 11:37 AM,
thanks!

[-]
  •
11-14-2014, 11:42 AM,
Smile

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-14-2014, 01:10 PM,
I dip mine in this stuff. It's safe for pearls.

http://www.amazon.com/Caribbean-Banana-C...B002KF3RTY

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
11-14-2014, 02:53 PM,
I just run a slightly damp microfiber cloth over my pearls every time I take them off.

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
11-17-2014, 06:02 AM,
I get a soft towel slightly moistened, fold in half, open and place the pearl strand straight inside and put towel on top, laying on a counter top. I place my hands on top of the strand and roll like a rolling pin between the layers of towel.
This cleans the pearls without getting the silk wet or stretching the silk. When I am done I lay them on a dry towel to dry overnight.
(Pulling the strand though a wet cloth does stretch the silk)

If there is any body oil or residue left closer to the drill hole, you can hand clean with a washcloth carefully.

A friend and fellow restringer suggested using Dr. Bonners castile baby soap, a few drops in some tepid water and soak for a few minutes , this is done if you are planning to restring the pearls.

http://shop.advantagenutrition.com/dr-br...7AodfCkAuA

Older dry akoya's or bead nucleated pearls can be shocked by soaking in water and pop off the MOP bead nucleus ruining the pearl, limit the time in water.

She takes the pearls off the strand and places them on a cotton thread still on the spool, soaks a few minutes, wipes off and then towel dries and runs the cotton thread from the spool though to make sure all the water and dirt is out of the drill hole.

If you have very dirty pearls washing them strung will pull the dirt, makeup and oils into the hole, It's hard to get it all out if you let them get into this position. Regularly wiping them down saves the nacre and unnecessary and costly restringing.