How do you priortize your sparkle purchases?
[-]
  •
03-11-2013, 08:26 AM,
How do you priortize your sparkle purchases?
We all have our lists...but how do you decide which moves up the list first?

I was set to do bp studs, oec pendant and bezels than maybe a new solitaire. Now that I'm leaning towards a more exspensive setting (that would require a new wedding band, too, eeps)...I'm not sure how I will move ahead. lol.

How do you all prioritize??

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-11-2013, 10:14 AM,
RE: How do you priortize your sparkle purchases?
Greed and guilt.... just kidding, kind of. If its a big occasion I'll get something fancier, if its a smaller purchase I'll buy it if I made some extra money that month.... Then sometimes I feel really guilty when I see what I've amassed :p

[-]
  •
03-11-2013, 10:28 AM,
I would love to hear the answer to this one. I currently have at least 4 things on my list that are top priority. Financially and sanity wise, it will only work one design at a time, yet I can't decide what I need more right now.

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."
[-]
  •
03-11-2013, 10:33 AM,
Mine is being prioritized by the fact that I have a spinel I need to get housed so that is my next project. After that, who knows.

[-]
  •
03-11-2013, 10:35 AM,
So far, I've only got one thing that's being really done at the moment, because we are going on a big trip in May and that means all major sparkle purchases have been pushed back until after that. However, I've had a few stones I know I will need come up for sale on the Bistro or I've had a bit of extra cash and gotten one from Wink for a future custom setting. Just last week I found a vintage platinum setting on eBay that comes close to meeting nearly all my requirements for an antique solitaire, and it was pretty cheap, so I worked out a deal with the seller when no one else snapped it up. Even though I hadn't planned on moving that one up on the list for awhile, it was too good to pass up.

I guess I really don't have a method, I just gather things up as I go along and after our trip I will start to become a bit more organized in how I prioritize LOL

[-]
  •
03-11-2013, 11:25 AM,
(03-11-2013, 10:35 AM)lucky.b Wrote: So far, I've only got one thing that's being really done at the moment, because we are going on a big trip in May and that means all major sparkle purchases have been pushed back until after that. However, I've had a few stones I know I will need come up for sale on the Bistro or I've had a bit of extra cash and gotten one from Wink for a future custom setting. Just last week I found a vintage platinum setting on eBay that comes close to meeting nearly all my requirements for an antique solitaire, and it was pretty cheap, so I worked out a deal with the seller when no one else snapped it up. Even though I hadn't planned on moving that one up on the list for awhile, it was too good to pass up.

I guess I really don't have a method, I just gather things up as I go along and after our trip I will start to become a bit more organized in how I prioritize LOL

Do you mean you made an offer after the auction closed? I'm curious as I've always wondered if that would work. lol. I passed on an auction for antique studs once and there were NO bidders...I wished that I had tried the seller after the fact.

[-]
  •
03-11-2013, 11:40 AM,
I used to have a list, and it kind of went in order of my loose stone purchases... Then I got too many loose stones, lol. So now I have a rough order, like my blue pear is next. But then I needed to reset my BP OEC, so that will push the pear down the list a few months.

Things like earrings, I get whenever I feel I need them and have the cash to do so, they are not on the same list as rings. And rings I get once a year. It takes me pretty much that long to save up. And I can only ever work on on thing at a time, as I find it pretty all encompassing, and I like to enjoy it for a while before I jump back in. Once I get my new set back from adding the milgrain, I think I will really feel satisfied, for a while anyway, lol.

However, if something is not going to last long or a deal comes up on a stone, I get it now and that delays a stone setting.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-11-2013, 12:09 PM,
MicheleZ- I guess it helps when you have part of one project already (ie. stone).

Rusulka - Same!! I was only going to two of the smaller projects at a time...now, I'm adding pricier projects to the list (and I still want the smaller projects).

MoreSparkles - lol at greed and guilt. kwym.

My 'eyes might be bigger than my sparkle budget'. lol I'm going start getting quotes and then go from there. Jenncent's already helped me with a few of the smaller projects. I think I am going to get some quotes for the ring projects. That may help me decide how to proceed. I will probably do martini's or bp studs right away, though - I just need them. lol

I'm thinking:
1)BP studs or moissy studs (I've been dragging my feet on the BP's so I hope I don't miss the boat!)
2)solitaire and 'fun' band
3)pendant and earrings
4)SK inspired pave set

Totally possible that I move 4) up to 2), though. lol

[-]
  •
03-11-2013, 12:24 PM,
(03-11-2013, 11:40 AM)jenncent Wrote: I used to have a list, and it kind of went in order of my loose stone purchases... Then I got too many loose stones, lol. So now I have a rough order, like my blue pear is next. But then I needed to reset my BP OEC, so that will push the pear down the list a few months.

Things like earrings, I get whenever I feel I need them and have the cash to do so, they are not on the same list as rings. And rings I get once a year. It takes me pretty much that long to save up. And I can only ever work on on thing at a time, as I find it pretty all encompassing, and I like to enjoy it for a while before I jump back in. Once I get my new set back from adding the milgrain, I think I will really feel satisfied, for a while anyway, lol.

However, if something is not going to last long or a deal comes up on a stone, I get it now and that delays a stone setting.

I've been collecting pictures of rings for so long that, at this point, its just overwhelming to narrow things down. I'm glad that I'm at least 'starting' a list. Also, I feel like I've been around these boards for awhile now...but have nothing shiny to show for it. hee hee. Financially, I can not do it all at once.....but I want it all at once, which makes the prioritizing a challenge. lol

Really only 1 ring a year for you? Your last project has been in the works some time, though, yes? Can't wait to see the blue pear!!

[-]
  •
03-11-2013, 01:16 PM,
I fly by the seat of my pants. With the exception of only three VIPs (Very Important Pieces) over the past 30 years, budget is always a driving force for me. Well, who am I kidding? Those three were budget driven, too. It's a mindset that I can't escape and I'm cool with it because my consistent thrifty living allows me to travel, do home renovations, and rotate my jewelry as my taste changes over time.

I have noticed that whether a piece is something I've been thinking about for a while or something that pops up as a now-or-never (like a hot deal on the Bistro), there is often a life event to attach it to symbolically. Serendipity seems to have a way of making my jewelry happen. Like when my heart was hammered and I saw my hammered band and said, "That. I feel like THAT." It made it a no brainer to purchase it. My whole stack evolved this way. Or like with my cushion and rubies ring, we were coming up on our 15th anniversary and I had plans to upgrade our grill for that (I know, so romantic!), but the loose cushion was a hot now-or-never deal, and then I found out that rubies are the traditional gemstone for the 15th, and it all just fell into place.

I can't imagine planning a year in advance and considering everything a forever piece. That would be waaaay too much pressure for me. I admire your strength, Jenn. I would fold like a cheap suit. Hide

Sharp mind, soft belly.