How is custom work prioritised?
[-]
  •
11-11-2012, 02:09 AM,
Question  How is custom work prioritised?
Hello ladies.

I'm currently having a necklace made by a jeweller famous on this board, and it's my first ever custom job, so i'm not sure what to expect.

After all the amazing praise about being super responsive, i had high expectations which have not been met. Nothing's gone wrong, it's just taking a while. I have to follow up (e.g. "soooo how are those CADs coming along?") It's particularly annoying when i see other people getting their pieces finished when they were started well after mine.

I realise it's completely unfair that someone's customers should know what other work is in progress!! and i would never begrudge anyone their sparklies. It just seems like my order is down the list of priorities.

Am i crazy? Is this normal? Can i do anything about it? The last thing i want is to be one of those annoying demanding people.

What are others' experiences with custom?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-11-2012, 08:13 AM,
RE: How is custom work prioritised?
I've always wondered about this too. Sometimes I think I draw the short end of the stick with custom work. Some ppl get their work done quickly with awesome results.. My projects seem really slow and with varied results. Would it not be awesome to get a reliable, consistent goldsmith with hight quality work and amazing precision who charges reasonable prices?!

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."
[-]
  •
11-11-2012, 09:09 AM,
I'm guessing maybe repeat customers? I do understand your frustrations.

[-]
  •
11-11-2012, 09:38 AM,
It is normal for custom work. I think it really depends on who is doing it. Jewelers have different benches that do different things. Maybe the goldsmith working on your necklace has other things ahead of your order. Some work a bit slower than others too. Also, if you're seeing items people have bought that are finished before yours, it's possible whatever they ordered was a stock setting from a casting house.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
11-11-2012, 10:01 AM,
What MrsK said. I am not sure who you are working with, but in our case, we have 4 or 5 benches that we send stuff to, depending on the job. So for example, my set that is being done is in it's 7th or 8 week now... but someone that started after me on something could already have their piece because it was being done at a different bench.

Cads take us a week-10 days roughly, and are done in order. Smile

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-11-2012, 02:36 PM,
Also the other posters might not be posting from Day One they decided to start their project, I had a nice long one that I updated over months, this time nothings getting posted till I have it!

[-]
  •
11-11-2012, 03:37 PM,
Thanks ladies, that's good to know, but I'm not even there yet - 2 weeks and I'm still struggling to get CADs!! Hopefully this is the worst bit and the next phase will go smoothly. I overcame my "i don't want to be a pain" thing and sent another email to try to move things along.

It crossed my mind that it might be seen as less important because it's not an engagement/wedding ring - not sure if this could be it? That would be disappointing because the necklace will have just as much significance to me. Us single ladies need special bling too!!

Sorry to vent! My family and friends couldn't care less about jewellery or the process to make it, lol.

[-]
  •
11-11-2012, 05:57 PM,
Is the design complex? Sometimes more complex CAD designs can take longer to make I am assuming. Sorry about your frustrations though, non the less.

[-]
  •
11-11-2012, 07:42 PM,
I am going to assume its DK. I have had the same experience with him, he had 2 diamonds of mine ( both largeish diamonds) for 2 months with barely any communication. I would see other girls posting about their projects and then posting their pieces.

I think the biggest problem with him is that he doesn't communicate when something goes wrong and doesn't give you a good update and explain that there was a problem or whatever it may be. My last project I thought he had completely forgtten about it because I hadn't had an update or heard from him in over a month. I wasn't upset though because 1. I hadn't paid him anything and 2. he was supplying everything so I didn't have to be concerned about my diamonds sitting there in his office.

[-]
  •
11-11-2012, 07:59 PM,
Thanks Cat! I'm glad i'm not the only one - makes me feel better.

The wait is really within the bounds of reasonableness; after my first prod, he sent the initial CADs in a couple of days. I suggested two reaaaallly minor changes a week ago, which isn't really that long in the scheme of things. It's just that i just had such high expectations after seeing how quick he was with other people's projects. So i should chill out. haha

But we all know that patience when it comes to shiny things is hard to come by!! Blush