How to insure my future ring?
[-]
  •
12-27-2013, 01:35 PM,
Question  How to insure my future ring?
I know most people don't insure inexpensive pieces, but it makes me feel better about not being extremely careful with my jewelry. I wear my rings absolutely all the time. I have my moissanite palladium ring and wedding band insured.

Anyway, here's the dilemma: I've purchased a 7.5 mm barely pink OEC from the Bistro, and I'm sending it out to be set at Moissanite Co soon. Last time I bought a regular moissanite separately and sent it to them for setting, they were able to give me an insurance appraisal for the whole ring (including the stone) because they also sold the same stone and could reasonably provide the true replacement value. However, this time I assume they will only be able to provide an insurance appraisal for the setting, because they don't sell barely pink OECs and don't know the replacement cost.

Like I said, I didn't buy the stone directly from Schubach's (couldn't wait until the next batch in the Spring), so I don't have a receipt for it or know its current full price. My understanding is that independent appraisals for moissanite don't really exist. Based on what the Bistro seller said she paid Schubach's for the stone, I think the replacement value of the whole ring would be about $1700, which definitely feels worth insuring to me when I consider having to pay out of pocket for it. I use Jeweler's Mutual / Perfect Circle for my other moissy ring and wedding band.
Has anyone been in a similar situation before? I want to insure it, but I don't know how...Huh

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-27-2013, 02:22 PM,
RE: How to insure my future ring?
I would just tell the jeweler what you paid for the stone and have them add it to the cost of the mounting. If MoisCo won't do that for you, perhaps a local jeweler would. My jeweler doesn't sell moissanite but I tell him the cost. I also use Jewelers Mutual.

[-]
  •
12-27-2013, 03:24 PM,
Maybe Beth can give you an estimate, not a receipt. I would email and ask. Smile

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-27-2013, 04:00 PM,
@Barlan: Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't think of just asking them to add it! It certainly won't hurt to check if they would be open to it.

@jenncent: Ohhh that would be great if she could. I could try and work this in with Barlan's suggestion, and ask Moissanite Co to add Beth's estimate to their appraisal, or just contact someone directly at the insurance company with it. I will definitely get in touch with her. Thanks so much!!

[-]
  •
12-27-2013, 04:20 PM,
You can just submit both papers to insurance, if she can do it. I am not sure if we can for pieces bought on the second hand market, but it never hurts to ask. Smile

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website