I Am Desperate For Help
[-]
  •
09-07-2014, 06:19 AM,
I Am Desperate For Help
I have a diamond semi-mount with four sets of double prongs. I completely ruined them by removing a stone from the setting. They are now twisted with lots of dents which I don't believe can be fixed. I want the prongs to be totally removed and new ones put on. Has anyone had this done to a ring? My question is whether or not this can be done successfully without it looking like they were added on. I want them to look like they came with the ring. The reason I'm asking is because I once had a prong added to a ring and it looks like it was added. The attachment to the body of the ring doesn't look smooth, but rather has an indentation between the body and the prong. Am I making sense?

I think this will be doubly difficult because there are two prongs instead of one in each area. Does anyone know if this can be successfully done? Can you suggest a jeweler who could do it? My jeweler is good for certain types of jobs but not this. I am so mad at myself for doing this and ruining a beautiful mounting. Please help.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-07-2014, 07:18 AM,
RE: I Am Desperate For Help
Oh that stinks, @Barlan. I have read fantastic things on PS about Wink's repair bench, but I would check with @jenncent about Schubach's as well. Can you post pics of the ring in question?

[-]
  •
09-07-2014, 08:05 AM,
Oh no! That stinks!

It depends on the style of the ring, but you may be able to replace the entire head. If not, a good goldsmith should be able to clip off the old prongs and rebuild them. I have had that done a few times when switching stones. The prongs always looked like new after it was done.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
09-07-2014, 09:22 AM,
Yes, we could likely do this. Do you have a pic? It would need a master but it could probably be done. It will not be cheap though, so it depends how much you want to spend on it.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-07-2014, 09:50 AM,
Ubfortuately I can't post a picture, not that I would want to. There is no head to replace (I wish it was that simple). The setting for the center stone is incorporated into the mounting and only the prongs can be removed. Jenn, when you say it will be expensive, how much do you think? I will have to pay the price for my error. At least I'm glad to know it can be done successfully.

[-]
  •
09-07-2014, 09:54 AM,
Maybe $350. We could not say for sure until we can see the ring.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
09-07-2014, 10:25 AM,
I think I need to find someone local to do the job for me. The ring is expensive as is the stone and it would cost a fortune to mail it back and forth. Thanks for the info, Jenn. I guess I will be paying dearly for my mistake. The challenge will be to find someone who can do the work properly.

[-]
  •
09-07-2014, 10:40 AM,
There are lots of great goldsmiths out there. I think you will be able to find one. Smile Good luck!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
10-23-2014, 05:51 PM,
An update on my ring from two months ago. I found a jeweler to completely remove and rebuild my eight prongs and reset my stone. It took several weeks before it was complete. He said it wasn't easy to make it look like new but he succeeded. I am thrilled to have it back looking really beautiful. It cost me $250 with the resetting of the stone and the rhodium plating. I consider this a bargain. A word of caution to anyone wanting to "play" jeweler and remove your stones yourself. Leave it to a professional.

[-]
  •
10-23-2014, 05:53 PM,
That is great!! I am happy it worked out so well!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers