I absolutely MUST have a 5 stone!
[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 01:07 AM,
I absolutely MUST have a 5 stone!
After seeing the picture Lorrissey posted of Mila Jovovich's wedding band paired with a 5 stone, I am officially obsessed!! Crazy My DH has said I could get a wedding band for our anniversary this year since I don't think my sapphire bands go with my new OEC ring. I was thinking about a 5 stone with 3mm moissy OECs, but now I am thinking I would rather just get a plain gold band and then have a ring similar to Mila's made to wear either as a stand in for when I don't feel like wearing my solitaire or I could also wear it as a RHR.

Now that I've started to lean towards a larger graduated 5 stone look, I need help with sizing and deciding on the design elements. I've had two guesses on the sizes of stones in Mila's ring. One guess put her ring as having a 1 carat center and the other guess put the center at 1.5 carats. Here is a picture of the ring.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

I wear a size 5 on my left hand and probably a 5.25 or 5.5 on my right. My e-ring is a 5.25 and it fits on my right hand, but it is also only 1.8mm wide so that plays a part in deciding on size. So let's just say this would be for a size 5.5 finger. In order to get a similar look to Mila, what size stones should I get?

I should say I am on a budget (who isn't?) and I don't want to spend a fortune on this ring because we are also planning on taking a honey moon when my husband gets back from Afghanistan. We didn't have one after our wedding so I am really excited to go!!

I also have some other inspiration pics of different graduated 5 stones I found online. Let me know your thoughts on them as well.

This one looks so similar to hers IMO.

This one has little rose cuts in the spaces between the stones. I think it's an interesting look.

This one look similar to the one above.

The proportions of this one look similar to hers too.

I'm also trying to decide if I want this ring to be two toned or not. I was thinking of maybe doing unplated white gold for the prong/basket area (not sure what that area would be called on a 5 stone) and then doing yellow gold for the shank. Here is my inspiration for a two toned 5 stone.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 01:51 AM,
RE: I absolutely MUST have a 5 stone!
Between your love of sapphires and your inclusion of the deco band above... have you seen astin's five stone? DK made it for her and it's phenomenal. I'm not sure, but I think her original inspiration piece was a photo of an antique that Ginger shared.
http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/...cs/750423/

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 09:03 AM,
Yes, I love Astin's 5 stone!! That was going to be my inspiration for my 3mm 5 stone, except I was going to make it two toned like the deco one I posted here and I was not going to include sapphires. I figured that I could wear that between my two sapphire bands and it would be a dramatic but very low profile look. But I think I want a larger graduated look instead,with larger stones. I'm not sure I would like that style with larger OECs. I found a picture of what I think that style would look like and I'm not in love with it.

[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 09:48 AM,
I like Milla's and the first one you posted. I don't like all the other little stones, it is too busy for me. I think the metal work really makes the ring too, not just the stones. And I would do it all yellow gold. Sometimes 2 tone seems a bit contrived to me... this is one of this times I see it as the simpler the better.

I would do 6.5mm, 5.5mm and 4.5mm.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 09:51 AM,
I am also obssessed with antique five stones. I tried on a ring at a jewelry store that I loved, I have a size 6 finger, and the stats were: .85ct center, .50ct side, .25ct side

At one point i did purchase moissy OECs to make a five stone witha 1ct center, andI actually found it to be too big. I'd consider trying on a few rings if you can, as I'm almost always a "bigger is better" type girl, but I think with this style it really has to "fit" your hand perfect

[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 10:34 AM,
I'm clueless on sizes, but I wanted to say I love the inspiration photos you posted. I have been going back and forth with wanting a 5 stone or a 3mm half eternity for myself.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 01:24 PM,
I love that first ring you posted:

I love your idea of a plain YG band and the 5-stone as a RHR and an alternate to your e-ring.

And I agree with Turks about stone proportion.

[-]
  •
11-18-2012, 02:20 AM,
Because I am obsessed I went to 2 jewelry stores today looking for graduated 5 stones to try on.....I struck out! Unfortunately neither of them had that type of 5 stone band. The first store I went to had some estate pieces I liked. I don't like them enough to buy any of them but I took a few pictures of one because I thought it was interesting. It was really pretty and blingy in person! I just LOVE baguettes! This ring was a size 7 and my finger is a size 5.5.

Then I went to Jared's and was helped by an extremely unenthusiastic man who within the first 2 minutes asked me if I wanted to open a credit line. This was before I had even found a ring I really liked. I hate that type of sales tactic. Anyway, I loved the size of the stones and it reminded me of the original style I was in love with. It was very low profile and if it would have actually fit my finger I think the size of the stones would have been perfect! I mean perfect with moissy OECs of course. Wink

What I like about the band is that it would be perfect sandwiched between my two sapphire bands. I think if I had a similar ring made, it could stand alone as RHR or wedding band, be worn with my e-ring or with my sapphire bands. It just seemed more versatile. Although I really love the graduated 5 stone, I think something similar to the one pictured would just make more sense.

[-]
  •
11-18-2012, 02:33 AM,
(11-18-2012, 02:20 AM)WishingAndHoping Wrote: Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

This makes me drool. Drool, I tell ya.

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
11-18-2012, 08:52 AM,
Pretty! Is there any way you could go to a nearby city and find some antique stores? You should try on the graduated just to be sure!