I am going to ask a total n00b question....!
[-]
  •
02-17-2013, 01:38 PM,
Smile  I am going to ask a total n00b question....!
Hello everyone! I love lurking.. haven't had too much time to post over here yet though!

Anyway - I have really been falling in love the the rich beautiful color of rubies and I find myself drawn visually to lab created rubies, mainly because I don't see opaqueness.

Which brings me to by n00b question - I have read online on a few websites while investigating lab vs natural rubies that some sites have claimed that in no way do lab created rubies live up to natural rubies in terms of their hardness or other physical properties. I find that strange.. because I thought rubies were rubies just as diamonds are diamonds (lab created OR natural)! Dizzy

Is this propaganda from the sources who want me to buy natural rubies? Or is this true? Or does it make that much of a difference? Hide

Again, I'm sure this is common knowledge for gembuffs but I know nothing about stones other than diamond and moissy haha so thank you for helping me out!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-17-2013, 06:37 PM,
RE: I am going to ask a total n00b question....!
The hardness is the same as long as they are a true synthetic, not a red CZ.

I used to like the clarity of lab rubies too, and bought one from BTD...I think it was $600 for nearly 5ct. Now, it looks too fake to me...and the setting is broken, lol. So I am thinking of what I want to do with it. I am not sure, but if you like lab rubies, I would buy on the cheaper end. BTDs do have the nicest colour I think, there is no pink in them at all, but you pay a premium for them.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-17-2013, 06:57 PM,
Jenn, not to thread jack, but I have recently fallen in love with small sizes of gem stones like ruby/emerald. That's why I was eyeballing the five stone halos. I love finger coverage but really big gem stones now look fake to me too all of the sudden.

Bethany, I'm sure your ring will be lovely. This is just a random silly thing I was thinking.........

[-]
  •
02-17-2013, 07:16 PM,
I have bought some lovely lab rubies from http://www.vivicgems.com. The top red color is great, and the price is VERY right.

[-]
  •
02-18-2013, 02:08 AM,
Lab rubies have the same properties, chemically, than earth mined rubies. However, as they are made in a lab they are flawless and not rare. You can make rough at any moment.

I'm still debating whether I want to get a BTD ruby for a ring I have, or if I'd rather spend the money on a earth mined stone. I can't afford a natural ruby of the quality I want at the moment.

I have a BTD sapphire, and I really like it, but sapphires are more commonly found with very little inclusions, so it's more realistic.

Also, rough can vary in quality, but I am sure we can find the same rough BTD uses for a lot less.

For fun, I have some medium blue sapphires from diamondcz, and they are really. Pretty! Their rubies however look way too fake.

Anyway, bottom line, it's a mind clean thing for me...some I feel fine with, some I don't.

[-]
  •
02-18-2013, 03:20 AM,
Thank you guys! I really appreciate it! I feel that the websites I was reading that on were just saying that so I buy their rubies (which is fine, they just shouldn't lie!). Anywho, I know what you mean about the debate between mined vs lab grown.. I just wanted to make sure they were indeed the same!

Jenncent-your ruby is just gorgeous! I love the color!

No worries MoreSparkles! Thread-jack away!

I'm not currently planning a ring.. just have a few ideas floating around!! Smile I would LOVE a ruby eternity ring though... I just can't find any I'm really in love with/what I have in mind!

Thank you all for your suggestions on where to buy as well, any other places are appreciated, too!

[-]
  •
02-18-2013, 04:52 PM,
My mind is fine with lab grown, I think it is just the prices of some I am not ok with. And the glassy look. I think mine needs side stones to add dimension to the stone.

MS, I love your 5 stone idea. You will run into the same glassy/too clear issue though so look for some place that sells more included stone.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries