I have the Bling Blues in a Big Way
[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 11:09 AM,
I have the Bling Blues in a Big Way
Cry

And I just need to vent a bit and maybe if anyone can commiserate they can even share their Blues stories or something to help me feel better LOL Please don't feel as though you have to read this whole thing, I know it will be epic. I just want to get it all out and my DH is so tired of hearing about it I think he's ready to put my stone in a dime store setting and be done with it Sad

So for months, well, actually almost 2 yrs now, I've been attempting an upgrade of my e-ring in anticipation of our 20th anniversary this May.

I've gone through several settings that include a Tiffany style 6 prong, a broken JbEG Gabbie, and an in the works DK setting. It would take a long time to type out the stories of them all but I won't bore you with the details.

I'll just start at the end of the broken Gabbie:
After a lot of scrimping and saving (because DH & I have decided to go to Fiji for a week for this anniversary as well as doing a ring for me) and I decide that I want a big rock for whatever my next setting will be. I purchase a 10 mm Amora OEC. It's beautiful, I color, just perfect, I love it in every way ... it sat in my safe for months while I look at every setting in the world to decide what ring would be suitable for me, I know I want something unique, custom, and out of this world beautiful.

I eventually decide on twosanguineheart's from PS's original reset from SingleStone. She had her RB recut into an OEC and had this setting made: http://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-...79152.html Due to the prohibitive cost at the time in conjunction with the trip, however, I decided to go with DK for the making of the ring. Before he left on this last trip, he actually went ahead and cast the ring and set the stone in it and sent me pics. It needed a few changes, which were to be done after I've seen a video when he got back.

AND THEN! The whole copying thing blew up. It's been really, really, really bothering me a lot. To the point where I no longer want this setting, much the way that the owner of Maggie May feels: it simply doesn't feel the same to me anymore because of this controversy. Not only that, but now that I have had so long while DK has been away, I have been giving it a lot of thought and decided that the ring is *so* different that I don't feel like I will have very many options to make it feel like it's anything but that setting all the time, if that makes sense.

I decided that it would probably be best to go back to what I really and truly love, which is a solitaire of some sort. I notice that every ring I am truly drawn to is a solitaire, because it can be dressed up or down with bands, it makes the stone the star of the show instead of the entire setting, and works best with my lifestyle. And yet, I can't just be happy with a classic Tiffany style or Incredible solitaire. I still want it to have some sort of little something else that sets it apart from being a plain old solitaire. But what??

Whenever I think of how to incorporate the things I love, my ADD takes over and I get overwhelmed Sad I love milgrain. I love vintage. I love single cut diamonds, but don't love pave. I love halos, but not on this. I love the swoopy swags of a crown style on the head, but I also adore the straight sleek bars of a Leon Mege "Boston Jeff". I love knife shanks, but I also like engraved shanks so much I could swoon. Every time I see Mara's "new" vintage setting on PS I think "THAT'S IT!" but then I feel like I don't love all the pointy parts, with no graceful flow of curves anywhere. I love the 8 prong of the JbEG Julia, but I don't like the pave around the bottom of them, nor do I like that part plain. I loooove FollePourBijoux's new setting that DK just made for her 10 mm OEC, but there is something I can't put my finger on about what's missing still for me.

In short (long? LOL), I cannot figure out what this perfect solitaire setting I will finally love is!! And it makes me so depressed that everyone else has all this creative energy and talent to design all these gorgeous, beautiful settings, while I sit here and can't even begin to come up with a damn solitaire setting that I now need in 43 days!!! How do I even begin to find this unicorn?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 11:26 AM,
RE: I have the Bling Blues in a Big Way
No advice - but I'm so sorry all this copying stuff has burned so many people.

[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 11:31 AM,
I love that singlestone ring. If the DK version is the ring you want, that is the ring you should get. Forget this copying stuff.

[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 11:43 AM,
Take a break, clear your head from sparkles. Even fun things can be too much. Come back to it in a few weeks - and totally forget this copying thing. Even the ladies on the PS were over it, their thread turned to baked goods Smile They're not loosing sleep over it, you shouldn't either. Get what you love!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Mamacass77's post:
  • Fancygems
03-23-2013, 11:43 AM,
Lucky, I can feel some of your pain. I also started two years ago on my 10 year upgrade. Hubby had just got back from a deployment to Iraq and told me to find what I loved and longed for. Easier said than done lol!! It was then that I discovered the BTD board and learned all about moissy and decided that was going to be my stone. Then the setting. OMG the setting! I went back forth over so many styles. From halo, to pave encrusted, to bezel, back to solitaires. Like you though I wanted something a little different than the standard. So I ordered my moissy in a basic 6 prong tiffany style knowing that I would continue my search for the perfect setting. Well I finally decided going custom was my best bet. I pulled all my ideas and came up with a design and started it a month or so ago. It is now finished and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival in the mail Big Grin My best advice is just keep looking and playing with ideas. Don't let the whole copy drama ruin it for you. In my opinion there are only so many things that can be done with a solitaire. It's bound to have some similarities to someone else's design. The goal is to get what YOU love. Don't settle. If it takes longer so be it. To me it's worth waiting to get it just right. Good luck hun!

[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 12:34 PM,
Please don't let some anonymous online primadonna bullies bother you! I don't get this whole copying drama. Although I created my custom ering myself, I don't own the patent to it. If someone doesn't want anyone else to copy their ring, then they shouldn't post pics online for the world to see.( Yadda, yadda, yadda, I am sure you have already heard all of this, lol.)

I agree you need to step away for a second and then revisit the ideas you had. Whatever really makes your heart smile is what you should get for yourself.

And I would also suggest sharing all of your ring thoughts here with us, not with DH. I almost pushed my fiancé to the edge when designing my 2nd ring, too. I learned it was best to chat about my ring with the other enthusiasts that 'get me'. It's one of the few times DH may actually be happy you are not sharing your thoughts with himWink

No, I didn't lose my mind. It got scared and ran away.
[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 12:34 PM,
luckyb I am sorry you are having such a hard time with this. But everyone else is right in that you should forget that whole copying thing if you can. You will never see another person with your ring and you said it is different anyway. If you do not love it though that is something different. Take a break for at least a few days if you can so you can clear your head.

[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 12:40 PM,
I must have tried on your SS replica when I was in DK's office. It was beautiful but a bit bulky. I think if you like the idea of a solitaire with bands, then you probably need to find the bands you want in conjunction with the solitaire so you have the complete set.

But I know your pain. I've been through so many to find Jules. You'll get there.

[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 02:23 PM,
I'm in the same boat. The process is no longer fun, it's aggravating. I'm either going to pick something being rash or step away for another year. At least I have the stone down LOL.

As for as copying...that whole mess over on PS was ridiculous. The pompous attitudes were such a turn off. If you like a design, then you do that design. I understand how people's opinions can sway you, but I would do the ring you like and not read the opinions.

Oh and on DK, if it was cast prior to your approval, he should recast with the corrections. I had him start a custom job over a year ago, but we just couldn't get it right. I took a long break and when I came back, someone else had the same ring done and it was nearly perfect. A design can be duplicated perfectly, but takes lots of patience lol. Don't stop until it's what you want.

[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 02:55 PM,
Oh dear...I'm so sorry you are going through this. If the design you chose from Single Stone is truly the ring you want, you should get it. I'm not sure why more people aren't aware of this, but Single Stone settings are made by them, but they are copied from antique rings and pictures their clients provide. Or, they are true antiques in which case the designer is sadly long gone. In fact, I've seen several posts on PS that said they are terrible at custom design, so hang in there hun!