Ideas for a Temporary/Permanent (?) Ring
[-]
  •
02-27-2014, 10:01 AM,
Ideas for a Temporary/Permanent (?) Ring
So here's my quandry. As some of you know, I'm saving for a diamond upgrade. A number of things came up (Disney trip later this year, etc. etc.) so this is not going to happen as soon as I would like. Probably next year...but I've been told that if I wait till the next big anniversary I can reallly upgrade. I'm not sure I can wait 3 years as I am pretty impatient. Dodgy Thus, I don't want to spend money that could be going to the diamond fund. Ya dig? That all said, I currently have a 6.5mm (jacked up) moissy in something like this (below, in 18k WG , if that matters). I would like to get a new moissy and 'maybe' fix up the setting a bit, for now.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

My diamond wedding band has eroded the criss-cross AND ideally, I'd have claw prongs(EDIT- mine does not have claws like the WF) , the shank would be possibly blingier? So:

1) Could someone work with this setting? Though dh knows I won't be sticking with this one for the long run - and he loves the SK setting I've chosen - he'd still 'like' for me to keep it.
2) Also, do you all think I can go up in size of moissy without too much issue in this setting?
3) Finally, RB or OEC?

Thanks for any and all thoughts! Popcorn

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-27-2014, 10:19 AM,
RE: Ideas for a Temporary/Permanent (?) Ring
Do you have pictures of yours so we can see what kind of wear has happened? With the criss-cross detail I'm not sure how much bigger of a stone the setting can accommodate, I would guesstimate only about a 0.50mm swing (if any). If you want to keep the current setting, you can probably polish it up to brand new and maybe some prong reconstruction depending how much metal you have to work with.

As for the shank, if you're looking to add more diamonds or more bling, it would be a lot of work to have it done in the existing setting. I think it would almost be worth scrapping the current setting and using that gold towards another setting of your choice that you would like. I have done the scrap and re-cast with a few of my rings already and it's pretty cost effective depending on what you want. Since this isn't your forever set, you can always re-sell to help fund your BIG upgrade unless you have a sentimental value towards it.

Finally... OEC!! Smile

When are you going to Disney!??! Which one too? I am going in April!

[-]
  •
02-27-2014, 11:42 AM,
(02-27-2014, 10:19 AM)JooJooBee4 Wrote: Do you have pictures of yours so we can see what kind of wear has happened? With the criss-cross detail I'm not sure how much bigger of a stone the setting can accommodate, I would guesstimate only about a 0.50mm swing (if any). If you want to keep the current setting, you can probably polish it up to brand new and maybe some prong reconstruction depending how much metal you have to work with.

As for the shank, if you're looking to add more diamonds or more bling, it would be a lot of work to have it done in the existing setting. I think it would almost be worth scrapping the current setting and using that gold towards another setting of your choice that you would like. I have done the scrap and re-cast with a few of my rings already and it's pretty cost effective depending on what you want. Since this isn't your forever set, you can always re-sell to help fund your BIG upgrade unless you have a sentimental value towards it.

Finally... OEC!! Smile

When are you going to Disney!??! Which one too? I am going in April!

Thanks, JJB! I will try to get a picture in a bit. Essentially, there are no criss-crosses. I'm fine without adding bling. Honestly, it probably doesn't make sense to do too much if it isn't long-term. I wouldn't be doing anything at all...but the moissy is so bad (and now noticibly mangled) that I will probably lose it sooner than later, at this point. Undecided The prongs do look a bit clawed...but I would like them to be better. Wink You think an OEC will be ok in this?

We're going to Disney in October! To tell you the truth...I really don't care about going...but I know the kids will love it. The sacrifices of motherhood. hee hee Wink

[-]
  •
02-27-2014, 12:04 PM,
Someone is selling a 6.5 RB moissanite on DB for $200 http://diamondbistro.com/category/251/Mo...anite.html

I'm not sure if it's possible to repair prongs in a setting like that as they are integrated with the rest of the setting. I would ask your jeweller to be sure.

[-]
  •
02-27-2014, 12:06 PM,
Gotcha!!! If there are no criss-crosses then I think it will be easy to swap in a new stone. If you wanted to go bigger there would definitely be enough room to rework the prongs to accommodate a bigger stone. I don't think it would be too costly and you would still get to keep this one. Perhaps if you did an OEC you could add some engraving to the band?? I think that could be very pretty!

On the Disney note.. My DH loves Disney. We don't even have kids yet.. LOL, but we go every single year and are a part of the Disney Vacation Club. We love it there Smile

[-]
  •
02-27-2014, 01:08 PM,
When I sold a halo setting, there was a .5ct give for stone (as in, it was made for 6.5 but the buyer put a 7 in it) so I think you could squeeze a 7mm in there, if not maybe even a 7.5mm if your goldsmith can add some metal to the prongs? I have no idea, just throwing it out there Smile

[-]
  •
02-27-2014, 01:57 PM,
Thanks for the tip @ooshiny! I'd been wanting bigger, if I can...but perhaps this is a sign?

Here are a few craptastic pix of the ring. One of the metal erosionHide and one of the horrific chip! I don't know why the shank looks like that in macro. It needs a polish but and I prefer it unplated...but it looks pretty shiny and warm, white IRL!? ETA: It IS sitting on the handle of my dd's red ladybug, ride on toy. lol I think it is a weird reflection?

[img]Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com![/img]

[img]Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com![/img]

LOL @ JooJooBee4 I've known other couples go without children. Funny story. One year my ILS went to Disney....withOUT their kids...at Christmas time.

Thanks for the notes about stone size. When I look at the ring, I do wonder how much more of a stone I can do but, maybe? I 'think' I will purchase a stone through an online vendor and send my ring in. I don't really have anyone locally. I now live pretty far away from the store that dh purchased the ring.

[-]
  •
02-27-2014, 01:58 PM,
@sparkledancer. good idea about the prongs. Worth an inquiry, perhaps!

[-]
  •
02-27-2014, 03:15 PM,
I think it would be pretty easy to replace the head on your ring. I thought it was like the first photo but I can see it's slightly different Smile

[-]
  •
02-27-2014, 03:26 PM,
(02-27-2014, 03:15 PM)Shelley Wrote: I think it would be pretty easy to replace the head on your ring. I thought it was like the first photo but I can see it's slightly different Smile

Hmm...really? I believe it is 'integrated'. I think it doesn't look the same, now, because I have been wearing my diamond band next to it for 10+ years (ignorance) and the criss cross no longer exists.. I will try to get a side picture but the prongs come out of shank, fluidly. Moreso than the WF example, actually. Undecided Does that make sense?