If at first you don't succeed
[-]
  •
05-14-2013, 07:11 AM,
If at first you don't succeed
Well, the wedding band in stainless didn't work Sad it turned my finger funny colors! I'm not sure why but Melissa is replacing it for free with one that she will make in silver. I know I can wear silver no problem so that's good. Smile Hopefully silver will hold up well...that's my only concern. Does anyone have silver jewelry that has held up well for many years?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
05-14-2013, 07:27 AM,
RE: If at first you don't succeed
It was stainless steel?

I have had a few pieces of sterling silver that held up for about 7 years. They were pieces from Tiffany, and were in pretty good shape when I sold them. Though, I did not wear them everyday.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
05-14-2013, 07:30 AM,
Yes it was stainless-although, if she used tools that have touched other metals, it would advance rusting and tarnishing. My FH is a metal worker so he knows those things lol. I'm thinking about having DK make me a ring in palladium too... I paid her for a ring so I want to get one but I also feel like maybe I should get something made in a more durable metal so that I KNOW it will last a lifetime. Because I want to have my wedding band forever and not need to replace it every decade or less.

[-]
  •
05-14-2013, 07:40 AM,
But wouldn't polishing remove any trace of the other metals that touched it? I don't know much about jewelry being made, so color me clueless. What I do know is that most watches are made out of stainless steel. It is also used for body piercing and medical implants, because it is less likely to be rejected by the body.

If you want a forever ring, you should probably stick with palladium, platinum or gold. They will all hold up much better than sterling silver over time. Palladium and platinum are great because they don't really lose metal, it just gets displaced if it gets scratched.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
05-14-2013, 07:48 AM,
Maybe my silver ring can be a RHR then and I'll get a palladium ring for my real wedding band.

If the tumbler that she used to finish the ring had done any other metal-copper, sterling, brass, etc. then it would have basically beaten the other metal molecules into the ring. FH said they can't even use the same grinders and such to cut other metals and then cut stainless or it ruins it. Apparently it's pretty finicky. I guess in a way it's like palladium in the sense that you need a bench that knows the metal or else it could be disastrous lol

[-]
  •
05-14-2013, 08:11 AM,
Right. That makes sense to me. It sucks that it happened to your ring though.

I was also going to mention, if you want inexpensive but sturdy for a RHR, you might want to look into tungsten. That will never scratch or tarnish. My husband's initial wedding band was tungsten. He wore it doing everything. It still looked brand new when I gave him his rosé gold band. The gold band was scratched within like 2 days. Lol

[-]
  •
05-14-2013, 08:23 AM,
haha yeah Austin will never get gold. I want the metals to match so he might get Palladium as scratches can easily be buffed out from what I understand?? but he can't wear it to work anyway so I don't think he will be too hard on it. Odds are he will only wear it on the weekends lol. We want to get wedding band tattoos on our fingers eventually. His mom did that and I like the idea of it Smile

[-] The following 2 users Like missmegan9009's post:
  • Lorrissey, MicheleZ
05-14-2013, 11:23 AM,
Ok DK is going to get some pics (CAD's maybe?) together and we are going to get this done Smile he quoted me an amazing price and I should hear back in a couple days with the designs. Palladium it is!

[-]
  •
05-14-2013, 11:55 AM,
oh good... glad to hear you're going with a more forever metal as opposed to silver. and DK FTW! yay!

[-] The following 1 user Likes missmegan9009's post:
  • MicheleZ
05-14-2013, 12:00 PM,
It will be my first DK piece so I'm suuuuuuuuuper excited Insane