Is it possible to rhodium plate YG to WG?
[-]
  •
06-01-2014, 06:57 PM,
Question  Is it possible to rhodium plate YG to WG?
Is is possible to rhodium plate yellow gold jewelry and have it be white? I know it wouldn't be permanent, but curious a) if it's possible; and b) if so, how long does it tend to last before the YG shows through?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
06-01-2014, 07:02 PM,
RE: Is it possible to rhodium plate YG to WG?
Possible Smile How long depends on your body chemistry, how often worn etc. Few months on average before it starts to wear off.

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
06-01-2014, 07:03 PM,
Yep it's possible! I have had that done to a few pieces. If you wear it a lot it will likely need a dip every year or so. It depends on how thick the rhodium plating is too.. My regular white gold pieces I get dipped every 3 years!

[-]
  •
06-01-2014, 07:05 PM,
Yes, it is possible. One of the bees did it over on weddingbee. How long it will lost really depends on several factors including how your personal skin chemistry interacts with the rhodium, so no one could tell you for sure how long it would last. Like Poppyseed said I think it would be very temporary and probably just a waste of money too.

[-]
  •
06-01-2014, 07:07 PM,
Gotcha; thanks so much everyone! Smile

[-]
  •
06-01-2014, 09:40 PM,
I had this done for my mom for mothers day. The jeweler said it will need to be re dipped 2-3 times a year

[-]
  •
06-01-2014, 10:17 PM,
If it needs to be re-dipped more than twice a year, that's too much maintenance (for me) to contend with.

[-]
  •
06-02-2014, 05:08 AM,
I have done it on a piece that I don't wear on a daily basis - only when I go out - and it has lasted pretty well. I think for something that you wear every day it's not going to last and will require regular dips.

Well behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.
[-]
  •
06-02-2014, 03:18 PM,
I had it done to my diamond tennis bracelet at least 5 years ago and it still looks good. I don't wear it everyday, but pretty often. I am very happy I did it because the bracelet looks so much better in white. I say go for it. The plating can always be removed.

[-]
  •
06-02-2014, 04:39 PM,
(06-02-2014, 03:18 PM)Barlan Wrote: I had it done to my diamond tennis bracelet at least 5 years ago and it still looks good. I don't wear it everyday, but pretty often. I am very happy I did it because the bracelet looks so much better in white. I say go for it. The plating can always be removed.

I'm glad it has lasted for you, but this would be something I'd wear rather often, so it likely would wear down faster, and after a year & a half of redips, it would be more cost effective to just get it in a white metal from the get-go. Wink