Is moissanite semi-precious?
[-]
  •
12-17-2012, 04:39 PM,
Is moissanite semi-precious?
Someone asked me if my moissanite stone was precious or semi-precious. I thought it was neither since it is a synthetic. I am wondering, does anybody know what is the "classification" for the natural moissanite? They found a 3mm sample recently, did they refer to it as semi-precious gem?

How do you refer to your stone if someone is interested in knowing more about moissanite?

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-17-2012, 04:53 PM,
RE: Is moissy semi-precious
Basically only diamonds and the big 3 (sapphires, rubies and emeralds) are considered precious while all others are considered semi-precious.

So... by those definitions, it would be considered semi-precious.... but I could be wrong since technically moissanite is considered an "imitation" vs. a lab-created synthetic.

[-] The following 2 users Like jenncent's post:
  • Anxiouslywaiting, Lorrissey
12-17-2012, 05:08 PM,
RE: Is moissanite semi-precious?
Mine are precious to me, lol.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-17-2012, 05:45 PM,
GIA's class for salespeople instructs them not to use the term "semi-precious" when presenting a piece because it doesn't sound as enticing. Wink so I really don't think classifying gemstones into precious or semi-precious is all that relevant as most jewelers aren't going to try and sell you a "semi-precious" stone.

[-]
  •
12-17-2012, 05:48 PM,
To me it's better than ANY "simulated" aka cz diamond....I LOOOVE MOISSY!!! Once you see one you'll be HOOKED. TO ME, It's it's OWN gemstone....

Sold on Schubach :)
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-18-2012, 06:54 AM,
I don't think synthetic or lab created (they both mean the same) stones have any classification of that sort. They are all just lab created.

I guess you could call it semi precious, but that is, IMO just a tactic to make it sound like natural material as opposed to man made.