Is this a good price to pay for frenchies?
[-]
  •
03-13-2013, 01:49 PM,
Is this a good price to pay for frenchies?
I have a french cut band on hold, platinum, half eternity .25 ctw, with 8 F SI antique french cuts diamonds.

I know frenchies are rare so I had to put in on hold as soon as I found it!

The ring is not in very good shape and not sizable to my size, so I'd likely have to get the ring remade into my size and style I want, but probably won't cost too much. There is a 9th stone that appears to be a chipped rose cut that was used to replace a lost stone at some point. So, I'm really just buying the 8 french cut diamonds.

The price including shipping is coming out to around $640.00.

I've been getting some crazy high quotes for an FC band from the usual suspects, anywhere from $2400.00 for LM's 1.4mm super skinny one to over $5000.00 for VC's 2mm half eternity, all the way up to $10,0000.00 for a 3mm eternity, so this seems like a good deal given the other choices.

But I'm reading elsewhere that frenchies should run like $2K per carat, probably for high quality ones, and these are only SI. Granted that was a PS thread from 2010.

All in I'm guessing I'd be paying like $1K for the completed ring after I have it remade.

Would is this be a good deal on the frenchies and is this a good plan???

Price isn't negotiable so the price is what it is.

Oh and house buying has been put on hold for a few months and I had a pretty good month in terms of commissions last month, so, I have a bling budget again. A small one though so I need to pinch every penny if I'm going to do this. I've told myself once I get an FC band I'll finally be done! For a while. I hope.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-13-2013, 02:10 PM,
RE: Is this a good price to pay for frenchies?
KJMM, this is unsolicited advice, but I feel like you should skip this. I don't think the savings will be tremendous (maybe a couple hundred) and I feel like you have pretty high standards for diamonds and won't be happy with SI1. I've done things like this in the past and was never happy with the result.

[-]
  •
03-13-2013, 02:26 PM,
Oh no, don't feel like it's unsolicited! You're giving exactly what I'm asking for! Advice!

If it's a bad plan then I need to know. I can't be wasting money right now.

All advice is greatly appreciated!

[-]
  •
03-13-2013, 02:27 PM,
Here are some pics of the ring/stones:

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

[-]
  •
03-13-2013, 02:29 PM,
The one on the far right, last pic, the icky stone I would be getting rid of. I don't think the diamonds look horrible, for true antiques. The SI rating doesn't look like its from clouds/inclusions, it looks like they are from some abrasions, and I see at least two chips. But that's in super macro.

[-]
  •
03-13-2013, 02:54 PM,
I actualy like the ring... but... have you had frenchies priced out from other vendors? like JS? idk if I would invest in old ones that could be chipped until I priced others out. just my 2cts.

[-]
  •
03-13-2013, 03:02 PM,
Oh yeah I just remembered that Jcent posted that JS can do FC's... Jcent are you around? How much per ct. are your guys' french cuts? or should I email Beth?

I've been collecting quotes for a few months now...for a similar project, prices are coming in at $5K from the usual suspects: VC, LM, SS. SK doesn't have a source for the FC's but he was at $3K for the megesaurus ring, so surprisingly higher than LM. But in general FC's are just majorly expensive. $2400 for LM's super skinny megesaurus band (which aren't true FC's, they are upsidedown caliber cuts), to $10K for his full eternity 3mm of true french cuts...etc..

I would just feel silly paying 2400 for a super skinny 1.4mm band yanno?

And $5K for a half eternity... sheesh yeah rite. Remember I didn't even pay that for my tapered french cut mount. OK well that's not including the $1700 it cost to have SK remake it, but still.

Anyone else? Any opinions on the diamonds? Other comps to reference?

Sheesh good thing I reserved it before posting it. Views all of the sudden views have increased and it has 13 admirers now.

Jcent I remember that you mentioned some of your french cuts were damaged when you got them... that wasn't a problem for you was it?

[-]
  •
03-13-2013, 03:31 PM,
Hmmm, I don't really think that it's going to be a good deal, especially for very average stones. If like you say they run at approx 2k a carat then for 0.25cts its on par. I assume prices have since gone up though. Personally, for something like a French cut diamond band I would wait until I had the funds to get amazing stones. Those look fairly banged up to me, still gorgeous though!

But like misskk said, check schubies! Jenn has FCs, so she should be able to help you out regarding pricing.

[-]
  •
03-13-2013, 03:36 PM,
They are custom cut, so the cost is not so much the diamonds, but the labour. For a 1.5mm we are looking at $100 per stone, a 2mm a bit more, like $125-$150. More little stones for a band equals more cutting, so higher cost. 3mm, I am not sure, but I would guess we would come in around the same cost as the others. I am not sure how many places are cutting them, so it would not surprise me if there was overlap with vendors for getting them. You luckily have small fingers, lol, so an eternity band will cost you less.

I like the stones in the band, fwiw. They have character and history, and I like that about mine too. The real antique ones are so rare, I would likely buy that band and do something with them. or replace the one that needs it, size and refurbish the band to be as good as new. It is platinum too, so for price, I think the materials alone make it work it. As well, some of mine had a lot of wear/damage, but we were able to use them anyway. My setting is a little thicker because we had to give the illusion they were all calibrated, but that is what you deal with when working with somewhat wonky stones. Part of the charm with these types of things is the wear on the stones. And mine from JbEG were 2k for .84ct and 1/3 were so damaged they needed some recutting. Frenchies are just not cheap, however you get them...

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-13-2013, 03:40 PM,
If you pass on this band, send me the link please. Wink I think it is wonderful. It just needs love.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website