Is this a waste of dinero?
[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 07:35 PM,
Is this a waste of dinero?
I have a 4.5mm RB moissy five stone ring. I love it, it's my "work" ring because my solitaire is a little bit too BLING for work. The only thing I would really really want is for it to be more eternity-esque. It covers the front of my finger and a bit on the side- but I see metal and metal irks me DizzyDizzyDizzy

Would it be worth it to get two more stones and re-set it as a 7 stone? Ballpark, if I scrap one setting towards the cost of a similar one - what does the cost usually end up to be? (Like a 4.5 gram 14k WG setting for another 4.5 gram 14k WG setting). I've never scraped gold, so I don't know how it works.

Pics!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 07:39 PM,
RE: Is this a waste of dinero?
Considering the size of your fingers, you're probably only working with about 10 bucks worth of gold total, right?

** Shoots arrow of sarcasm and runs away laughing •• Hide

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 07:41 PM,
Hahahaha, Hadley you're lucky you're adorable! Nyanya

I wish gold was cheap again. Price of gold is a little bananas, will probably get even more bananas. Excuse to use banana man! Banana

[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 08:00 PM,
Current gold price about $1718
Grams per Troy OZ about 31
Purity of 14k gold 58.3%
A good percentage from a shop scrapping gold is 80 to 85 % (we will use 80)

Sooooo.....

1718/31 = 55.42
55.42 * .583 = 32.31
32.31 * .8 = 25.85
25.85 * 4.5 = 116.33

I would estimate in the $110 to $125 range for 4.5 grams scrap gold

[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 08:02 PM,
in regards to getting another setting you are going to be paying a lot more for that. There is so much overhead involved. You're the last person in a chain when you buy and the first person in the chain when you sell (hence why your cut is so small).

LOL Hadley!!!

[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 08:16 PM,
That's not a bad amount for the scrap though, thanks Sparkly. Definitely something to consider.........

[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 08:22 PM,
Here's how to find if it's a waste, which is more, buying a new 7 stone ring or [Total cost of 5 stone + cost of 2 more moissy + cost of new setting - $110]?

I think if you wear the ring all the time and know you'll be happier with a seven stone, then you should get it!

[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 08:32 PM,
I agree. You need to be happy with it. As it is now, every time you wear it you are wishing it was different. Forever is a long time to wish that.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-08-2012, 08:29 AM,
...................... and I'm going to message Beth for a quote. HurhHurhHurh

I'm telling you my sparkly vice is re-doing of jewelry. Sure I might look like I have one wedding set and an anniversary band, but I have such a sparkle problem. Hide

[-]
  •
11-08-2012, 09:17 AM,
Would you go for smaller stone for your 7stone? Am wondering if going with the same size make it uncomfortable for you to wear?