Jewelry Insurance
[-]
  •
12-08-2014, 10:10 AM,
Jewelry Insurance
My engagement ring is almost done and it occurred to me that we would need to get it insured. Here is my question - Should my FH insure it on his homeowners insurance policy, or should I insure it with my car on my parents homeowners/car insurance policy?

Details - I currently live with my parents until our wedding next year, but I stay at his house on weekends due to the distance between the two locations.

What did/do you do?

I love all things that sparkle and shine :) Hi, I'm kristina84, and I have an obsession with cushions.
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-08-2014, 10:18 AM,
RE: Jewelry Insurance
I would also look at jewelers mutual. Quotes are easy and they are the best price I have found. Also, they cover damage and mysterious disappearance. Many home policies are more for less coverage. And of all the people on this forum that have lost a ring, mysterious disappearance is the most common reason.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-08-2014, 02:41 PM,
Great question @kristina84
I think my homeowners - even with a rider - limits loss to $10k in the aggregate (combined total). Maybe sufficient if you lose one thing, but nowhere near enough if your hose burns down or you're burgled. This is good info @jenncent

[-]
  •
12-08-2014, 03:00 PM,
jewelers mutual-awesome

On other sites, I am aka JadoreDiamonds or ArtdecoLover71 but trying to keep it to one name now :-)

*loving all things diamond, old and new, with art deco flare!
[-]
  •
12-08-2014, 03:07 PM,
Thank you for the suggestion @jenncent and @ArtdecoLover71 - I'll look into Jewelers Mutual.

Thanks @Ringo865 - I wanted to make sure that it will be covered in any case of damage, and God forbid, lost/stolen. I have yet to loose any jewelry (other than a boating accident) and have learned not to wear my jewelry anywhere near water. I wasn't intending on swimming at all that day and it was just a sterling silver and CZ ring.

I love all things that sparkle and shine :) Hi, I'm kristina84, and I have an obsession with cushions.
[-]
  •
12-08-2014, 04:53 PM,
A third vote for Jewelers Mutual Perfect Circle coverage! Love it!

[-]
  •
12-08-2014, 09:57 PM,
I wish I had thought of this before I mysteriou lost my ring last week. Just out of curiosity how do you prove that? More importantly how do you get that claim paid?

[-]
  •
12-09-2014, 11:34 AM,
I am not sure you have to prove it. I think you just submit the claim. They might ask if you filed a report or check with the lost and found etc, but I have not heard of it being denied.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-09-2014, 06:54 PM,
I went through our homeowner's insurance --- super easy to add the rider and MUCH cheaper than jewelers mutual.

[-]
  •
12-09-2014, 07:50 PM,
(12-09-2014, 06:54 PM)Lorrissey Wrote: I went through our homeowner's insurance --- super easy to add the rider and MUCH cheaper than jewelers mutual.

Yeahthat