Just curious....
[-]
  •
03-07-2014, 10:36 AM,
Wink  Just curious....
I have been reading some posts on the Bee. More specifically...Posts about telling people what your stone is. Out of curiosity......has anyone that has moissanite ever had anyone ask? I get comments about my ring being pretty, but never the "is it real?" comment. I never get comments about the size here either. In France I do, but no comments on what type of stone. My friends/family know my views on stone choice and my love for moissanite.....but I don't mention it to strangers. I guess if they asked I would? The point is......I just wonder how many people get questioned about moissanite. I just cannot imagine tons of people wondering. I barely notice other people's jewelry irl, unless it is awesome, and would never question if "it's real". I am amazed how many posts I see regarding this and how hot the topic can get.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-07-2014, 11:07 AM,
RE: Just curious....
I think it has to do with whether or not people perceive you as being able to afford what you are wearing. When I was in my early 20's and sporting a diamond that was about 2.5 carats (inherited), I did get asked. Probably because I was young and also because I had more tacky/catty friends back then, lol. I got asked if my boobs were real more than my jewelry. LOL.

I think it's bizarre that people would ask and very inappropriate.

[-]
  •
03-07-2014, 11:14 AM,
I get "what is that?" with pinks, but not in a rude way. No one has ever said "is it real?" to me... that I remember anyway. I do educate on moissy quite a lot though. As soon as it goes beyond wow, that is pretty, I usually take the chance to say what moissy is. I am not comfortable with people thinking it is diamond if it is not. That is just me. And from all of the times I have told people about moissy, only once was someone poopy about it. In that case, she went from wanting it to thinking it was crap... so annoying, but whatevs.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-07-2014, 11:22 AM,
Maybe it is about age and the people we surround ourselves with. I am a total beach girl and jeans are my daily uniform. Lol.....so I am sure I don't "look" like I can afford to be wearing 3 carat diamonds. Wealth is difficult to judge though because many times the wealthy are the most uncaring of how they appear. I think that when you reach my age you surround yourself with people that would not ask that question regardless and you just don't care about the rest of the opinions. Lol.

It amazes me to see how many people care if someone else is passing there stone off as something else. I just never even gave it any thought. Lol. Shoot....I guess I am lucky if I see adults these days, much less judge their jewelry.

I was dying about the boob comment :-)

[-]
  •
03-07-2014, 11:28 AM,
Jenn....that is how I am. I take every opportunity I can to tell people about moissanite. I think it is a pretty awesome stone and many people don't know what it is. I am a proud moissanite wearer. I can see asking about a colored stone because it could be several things. I honestly have never had anyone ask. They have asked about the cut, but never the material. If it is a passing comment I just say Thank you. My guess....people really do not care. Lol. If they seem truly interested I explain. You have seen the posts on other boards about passing off stones...etc. I wonder how much people actually care in real life.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • mrsmay07
03-07-2014, 12:17 PM,
I think a lot of the people on the bee are just younger, so they are just a little more insecure with their choice. Most of them are not married yet. I think after a few years of being married, and kids etc, they will see that it is a little silly to be so concerned over what others think of the rock material on their hand. Smile

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
03-07-2014, 12:21 PM,
Very true Jenn! I guess I am just old now. Lol....at one point I would have traded my jewelry for a night of peaceful sleep.....priorities definitely change :-)

[-]
  •
03-07-2014, 12:28 PM,
lol, I feel that with the sleep. Wink I think as you get older and "more married" the ring means less. Right now the ring is a huge symbol for some of these girls, lol. I love my jewelry, don't get me wrong, but it is less symbolic to me now. My marriage has nothing to do with a ring now at all.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
03-07-2014, 12:29 PM,
Oh...those threads are dang.er.ous. I've been drawn in...never put in my .02. But, yeah...quite a read! There are a few that have a passionate distaste for moissanite, let alone anyone who would dare 'pass it off as diamond'. I say to each her own...but, yah, not everone agrees.

[-]
  •
03-07-2014, 12:30 PM,
@jenncent. Completely agree. I actually didn't wear my rings for a few days last week and I shockingly still woke up every day married!