Just saw brother's Amora Moissanite.. looks plastic like?
[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 07:42 PM,
Just saw brother's Amora Moissanite.. looks plastic like?
Hi,

My brother is planning on proposing with a diamond alternative. His fiancee was all for it and knows about it. She just didn't know what he was going to buy.

Anyways, he just showed me his 7.5mm Amora Moissanite from Betterthandiamond. I have seen diamonds before but I"m no expert. Hasn't really seen or held a lot of loose stones though.

I was just surprised at how light the Amora Moissanite felt and it looks sort of plastic like. Since Halloween is coming up, it reminds of me those princess dresses with the sew on diamond sparkles on the hem.

Did he get a bad one or do they all look like that? Does a diamond loose stone also look plastic like? Thanks

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 07:47 PM,
RE: Just saw brother's Amora Moissanite.. looks plastic like?
no.. it should not look pastic like. Moissy does have that look from the side sometimes, in my experience, but if that is the first thing you notice I would send it back.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 07:56 PM,
(09-13-2014, 07:47 PM)jenncent Wrote: no.. it should not look pastic like. Moissy does then to have that look from the side sometimes, in my experience, but if that is the first thing you notice I would send it back.

I have noticed that some cuts have a tendency to look more plasticy than others. *I* felt the FBs looked more plasticy to me-especially in certain lighting situations.

I have never seen an amora so I can't comment on that. I would say try it in different kinds of light, but if you consistently see that plastic look, send it back.

[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 08:05 PM,
(09-13-2014, 07:47 PM)jenncent Wrote: no.. it should not look pastic like. Moissy does then to have that look from the side sometimes, in my experience, but if that is the first thing you notice I would send it back.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Another thing that threw me off was how the stone stored. It came folded up in two layers of black paper (looks like the carbon papers in checkbooks except these don't smudge) and placed inside a two sided plastic pouch (Again, exactly like those check book holders but smaller). On the side was an unevenly cut laminated piece of paper with the North American Gemological Laboratory report.

If this was the first time I have heard of Betterthandiamond, I seriously would have thought it was some Chinese made knockoff just by the presentation alone....

[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 08:09 PM,
That is often how gems come. Even diamonds, so that should not really come into it imo. But you need to like what you see when you look at the stone. I would try a regular moissy or an FB from a company that hand picks them like Schubach's.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 08:19 PM,
(09-13-2014, 08:09 PM)jenncent Wrote: That is often how gems come. Even diamonds, so that should not really come into it imo. But you need to like what you see when you look at the stone. I would try a regular moissy or an FB from a company that hand picks them like Schubach's.

Thanks, I will pass along the message to him. Can you tell me how the regular moissy or FB will look different? I know he did a ton of research on his ( he is a scientist by trade) and choose Amora Moissanite due to the clarity ratings and that their enhancement process is "better" than FB. He is totally at a loss now.

[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 08:27 PM,
Well, "better" is purely subjective. The Amora often look hazy to me in pics in a way that the FB and unenhanced do not. And the clarity of all moissanite from these vendors is the same. BTD does not have better clarity than anyone else, except JTV. JTV often gets seconds.

But it is a different enhancement, so the outcome is different.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 08:36 PM,
(09-13-2014, 08:27 PM)jenncent Wrote: Well, "better" is purely subjective. The Amora often look hazy to me in pics in a way that the FB and unenhanced do not. And the clarity of all moissanite from these vendors is the same. BTD does not have better clarity than anyone else, except JTV. JTV often gets seconds.

But it is a different enhancement, so the outcome is different.

+1

[-] The following 2 users Like stardust's post:
  • KTrencha, OoohShiny
09-13-2014, 08:49 PM,
And, I will add, that having a bunch of experience with different vendors I feel more comfortable having someone that I can talk to, and tell them what's important to me so they can hand pick my stone. I've had Schubach's do that a few times now and have NEVER been disappointed.

[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 09:18 PM,
@girlincalifornia I have owned Amora enhanced and Forever Brilliant. I prefer the FB over Amora.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.