Poll: Which setting for 7.5mm OEC?
LAD Elisabeth
BGD Tapered Tiffany Half Round
Other
[Show Results]

LAD "Elisabeth" or BGD Tapered Tiffany Half Round for 7.5mm OEC moissy?
[-]
  •
02-02-2015, 09:50 AM,
LAD "Elisabeth" or BGD Tapered Tiffany Half Round for 7.5mm OEC moissy?
Hi everyone! Been lurking for a while, but I thought I'd go ahead and post to ask for opinions. I recently became the owner of a gorgeous pre-loved 7.5mm OEC moissanite that was hand-picked by Beth at Schubach's. I bought it as a "test drive" to see what size OEC diamond I might want eventually, but I'm totally in love with the moissy now and am not sure I even want a diamond now! (Not to mention my husband might kill me if I come home with a 1.5+ carat diamond at this point, ha ha ha...)

So, all that being said, I'm not the biggest fan of the current setting (it's not terrible, but it's clearly not very high quality) and would like to have it re-set. I'm deciding between the Love Affair Diamonds "Elisabeth" in rose gold vs. the BGD Tapered Tiffany Half Round in white gold.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-el...solitaire/

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engage...ld-5540w18

On one hand, I'm thinking I might want to upgrade to an August Vintage Round or August Vintage Cushion at some point in the future, and if I got the Elisabeth, I wouldn't be limited to a round. On the other hand, the BGD tapered Tiffany is cheaper, and I've always wanted to try a 6-prong plain solitaire setting, since it's so classic.

I've been seriously thinking about this for weeks now. I think it's affecting my concentration at work, so I really need to buckle down and make a decision. Heeeellllpppp!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-02-2015, 10:29 AM,
RE: LAD "Elisabeth" or BGD Tapered Tiffany Half Round for 7.5mm OEC moissy?
Welcome!

I love both of those settings, but I think I prefer the LAD one a bit more than the BG.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
02-02-2015, 10:31 AM,
I think if you want to try a 6 prong plain solitaire you can do better on price than the price of the BGD new-- Eternity by Yoni makes a gorgeous tiffany 6 prong and it's $650 in white gold. He charges $75 to set an outside stone.

I also think that if you're thinking about upgrading, it's a lot easier to find the right diamond if you're not trying to match it to an existing setting. It's especially tricky with cushions.

[-]
  •
02-02-2015, 11:09 AM,
I prefer the Brian Gavin piece because I prefer plain shanks. Alternately when there are diamonds in the shank I prefer them to go around further than they do on the LAD ring.

Just out of curiosity, have you looked at Julia on the LAD site? It has a plain shank and either 6 or 8 prongs with a little bit of bling around the crown. It's the best of both worlds imo. I'm pretty biased since I have my own Julia coming on Friday, but just thought I'd throw it out there. Big Grin

[-]
  •
02-02-2015, 11:45 AM,
@ wntrwhte Thanks for the tips! Hmmm, if that's the case, then maybe I'll opt for a more inexpensive setting, since I'm not sure I want to pay for the Elisabeth at this time and then have to find a stone to fit into it later. I'll look into Eternity by Yoni -- I'd really like the shank to be tapered at the top.

@LaLa I've looked into some of the other settings. The Julia is beautiful, and the Harlow really caught my eye too! So hard to decide... I'll have to think about this some more.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

[-]
  •
02-02-2015, 11:52 AM,
Yoni will taper the shank for the same $650 price. He'll also do it in palladium for that price.

[-]
  •
02-02-2015, 11:59 AM,
The Harlow is gorgeous! I've never looked at that one before. I know it's super hard to choose. I would probably do something less expensive if you're not sure. You can always sell later on once you figure out exactly what you want.

[-]
  •
02-02-2015, 12:00 PM,
I may be an outlier, but ... I actually really love your current setting. Something about the double-prongs really makes the ring pop. Do you think it might be worth taking it to a good bench to see if it can be refinished?

If not, I definitely understand wanting a high-quality setting ... of the two you're considering I think I'd vote for the LAD setting, but maybe ask for double-prongs? Similarly cool look, plus it would give you versatility, and I think the antique style setting will really complements the old cut stones ....

[-]
  •
02-02-2015, 12:11 PM,
I like the current setting too. But then I like the BGD one... And I would keep the OEC in that setting and use it as a travel ring, or just a more simple ring for days I don't want side stones. I would get the diamond in the LAD ring if I still loved it when the time came around, and have 2 awesome rings!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-02-2015, 01:43 PM,
I can't see the profile of the current setting, but I like the setting its now. I like the Elizabeth for its four prongs, but prefer the Julia. On the bgd, I have a stuller solstice which looks very similar. I like it just fine, but again prefer four prongs and side stones. Also on the bgd, as does my solstice, the basket dips out a tad at the shank, so a band doesn't sit flush. If that would bug you, keep your options open.