Lab emeralds from MCo and Schubachs
[-]
  •
01-28-2014, 06:42 AM,
Lab emeralds from MCo and Schubachs
Hi ladies,

In my search for the perfect green gemstone to put into my anniversary ring, I came across some lab created emeralds now being sold by Moissaniteco and also the Radiance line of emeralds by Schubachs in cushion cut.

Here is a pic of the cushion and Asscher lab emeralds available to purchase from MoissaniteCo:

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

The colour is absolutely spot on for me and is exactly what colour I picture in my head when I lust after emeralds however you can see the patterning on the table right through the top of the gemstone....!

Here is the video that Beth sent me of the available Radiance lab created emeralds that Schubachs currently has in stock in the cushion cut.
I especially like the emerald to the right of the gem labelled '1' that seems to be slightly darker in tone than the other cushions there. These are priced really well too and if DH wasnt opposed to going the synthetic route for this ring, I probably would have bought one of these.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
01-28-2014, 07:10 AM,
RE: Lab emeralds from MCo and Schubachs
I prefer the ones from Schubach's. It is too bad your dh won't go for synthetic.

[-]
  •
01-28-2014, 07:56 AM,
Pretty!! I prefer the coloring and inclusions of the Schubie's ones too! You might be able to change your DH's mind about synthetics if he sees the stone in person. I bet he wouldn't even know the difference Smile

[-]
  •
01-28-2014, 10:53 AM,
@Becleeham - I also prefer the Radiance ones for the inclusions. My Avarra emerald that I sold (so dumb!) had two jewelers thinking it was a natural stone - one of whom was a gemologist.

[-]
  •
01-28-2014, 11:05 AM,
I don't like the windows in both of those MoCo stones. And I like inclusions in the emeralds. the color is pretty.

[-]
  •
01-28-2014, 11:15 AM,
Here's another cool advantage to synthetic. Not trying to convince you one way or the other because there is certainly something special about earth mined stones. BUT... With a lab stone you can buy two stones of identical proportions so that you have a back-up in case something happens to the first one. Particularly w/ an emerald, this is nice. I have an identical spare oval ruby "just in case" ED destroys the first. I'm sure you are less clumsy than I, but thought I'd mention this. Wink

[-]
  •
01-28-2014, 11:52 AM,
I'm all for synthetics in theory, but I just haven't seen any lab emeralds that really stir my soul. Natural emeralds are some of my very favorite gemstones, the glow from a subtle jardin is what makes each one feel like it has its own unique personality. (I named my emerald "Bubbles" for a tiny luminous inclusion it has, lol ahahaha.)

What size and shape green gemstone are you hoping to acquire for this ring? Have you considered other gemstones besides emerald? If you find that a lab emerald is going to be the perfect choice for your ring, I hope that you can convince your DH to hop on board! Do you mind sharing why he's so opposed to a synthetic emerald? My boyfriend used to be very much opposed to lab gems, but I eventually wore him down with a combo of reason, emotion, and visible sparkly examples.

[-]
  •
01-28-2014, 02:02 PM,
I like the darker Schubach stone best of all of them....

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
01-28-2014, 07:25 PM,
Hi ladies, so DH and I decided we would rather go the natural gemstone route for this ring and we chose a blue-green Afghan tourmaline gem which was precision cut by Jerry at Gemart Services. I did initially start the hunt for a natural emerald (as emeralds are my birthstone) but for the life of me I couldnt find a natural emerald in over 1 carat size with great colour and in my price range.
I am not against synthetics in general (my last ring was the rose gold Amora gem ring!) but for this anniversary ring, DH said he preferred a natural gem so thats why I chose the tourmaline.
The purpose of this post is more to share with you some synthetic emeralds I found during my search. I know that a few TFL ladies were really impressed with BTD's Avarra emeralds and thought people would be interested to see what MoissaniteCo had to offer seeing as they are sourcing their lab emeralds from the same company that BTD did for their Avarras.
I am sharing the video from Schubachs as I thought people might be interested in seeing more video of the cushion cut lab emeralds in the Radiance line that they have in stock. They are a bit too light in colour for me but they have a glow and come with inclusions so I think they look more like real Columbian emeralds.

[-]
  •
01-28-2014, 07:28 PM,
As per my other thread on what I am planning for this green tourmaline anniversary ring, this is what I'm planning:

Afghan tourmaline from Gemart Services:

Plus this MC2 flora yellow gold ring setting which I am having reproduced: