Lessons Learned - Confessions of a Jewelry Junkie
[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 02:16 PM,
Lessons Learned - Confessions of a Jewelry Junkie
I will go first. I need to cleanse my sparkle soul and confess, and hope by sharing lessons learned, it might help someone else.

I have WAY too many jewelry projects happening at one time ... all of the time. I really need to stop ... focus on one from start to finish, and really enjoy it before planning the next. That's probably my biggest jewelry junkie confession (real shocker, huh? Crackup). I now have a MASSIVE stone collection for which I need to sit down, organize it all into projects, prioritize them, and start planning to get these pieces made. Exciting h daunting at the same time.

I am also thinking about rearranging my ring box so that as something new is introduced, something moves to the "chopping block" section for possible rehoming. Let's face it ... I only have 10 fingers, and my name isn't Mrs. T. Big Grin.

Any other bling - related confessions or lessons learned in your jewelry experiences? Be it in designing a piece, planning a project, something you didn't factor in that bit you later, etc? If you had something to do over again ...

Popcorn

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • Rusalka
09-08-2014, 02:26 PM,
RE: Lessons Learned - Confessions of a Jewelry Junkie
I think I am an odd ball here, because I really do projects at a snail pace, and I have a hard time giving the final ok on things. I need to feel 150% sure that it is perfect, and I am incredibly pedantic, so getting to that point where the tenths of mm are in the right spot and at the right angles takes me ages. I tend to average one main project a year because of this. I just cannot focus my attention on more than one thing actively.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 02:32 PM,
I think the majority of sparklie gals have fall into the 'too many projects' trap time and time again! I know I am guilty of that and have learned to take on more enjoyment & patience with each project! I have found that taking my time really does let me appreciate a piece more and avoids making costly mistakes Wink

[-] The following 2 users Like Circe's post:
  • mmascall, Rusalka
09-08-2014, 02:39 PM,
I've learned that I love old cuts best.

I've learned that, no, really, much like with clothing, you CANNOT buy an eternity band in the hopes that you'll slim down into wearability. And that alterations are more trouble than they're worth.

I've learned that "almost right" is never good enough.

Hm ... I *should* learn the bit about only 10 fingers, but I'm still working on that. Someday!

[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 02:57 PM,
I hear you, SF!

Yep, I have sparkle-ADD and although I keep saying I will slow down, I have not. It is also hard for me to focus on one project at a time and I do not know why, except that I really like the creative process and enjoy juggling lots of things. I complain I am busy but then take on additional "stuff" IRL, too, so this is a pattern for me.

My schedule is about to get even busier, though, so once my OMC and my DD's ring are done I am committing to taking a TFL sabbatical. Sad LOL, famous last words because I love this hobby and love all of you, too. But really, I need to focus on enjoying the lovely pieces I own and stop making more "projects" for myself.

[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 03:02 PM,
(09-08-2014, 02:39 PM)Circe Wrote: I've learned that I love old cuts best.

I've learned that, no, really, much like with clothing, you CANNOT buy an eternity band in the hopes that you'll slim down into wearability. And that alterations are more trouble than they're worth.

I've learned that "almost right" is never good enough.
LOL! This could be me... Crackup

I'll add, I've learned not to rush. Take time to make sure the details are exactly the way you want, yes, "almost" is never close enough.

I've learned to follow my heart, even when a jeweler/bench discourages a perfectly feasible plan because it's not necessarily the current trend. Wink

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sparkly Blonde's post:
  • MrsK
09-08-2014, 03:14 PM,
This is the one instance where having OCD is beneficial! I can't even start a project because I'm so worried about it being perfect that it is easier to just no do it.

[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 04:59 PM,
(09-08-2014, 03:14 PM)Sparkly Blonde Wrote: This is the one instance where having OCD is beneficial! I can't even start a project because I'm so worried about it being perfect that it is easier to just no do it.

YES.

[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 09:16 PM,
My biggest problem is not in thinking of projects, but buying completed pieces. I am especially fond of diamond band rings (wide) and through the years I've gotten quite a few. When I found moissanite solitaires, that's when I started projects to set them. Now I'm officially done with moissanite because I have exactly what I want. I also buy gemstones and diamond semi-mounts to set them into. This is an expensive hobby.

[-]
  •
09-09-2014, 04:48 AM,
Fun thread! I have learned that my OCD will never be satisfied. Nothing will ever be completely right for long. I lately have concluded that variety is my spice for life.. Toofunny