Poll: Which size cushion moissy for the center stone on a 4.25 finger?
5 mm
5.5 mm
6 mm
6.5 mm
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Looking for advice on center stone size...
[-]
  •
09-09-2013, 06:29 AM,
Looking for advice on center stone size...
I am currently putting together ideas for my engagement ring and I think I found the perfect setting! It's a very elaborate, detailed Gabriel and Co setting and I will be setting it with a cushion moissanite.
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

However, as the setting is QUITE substantial and my fingers are stupidly tiny at a 4.25, I'm stumped as to what size cushion to go with. This is what my 6X8mm aquamarine halo looks like on my fingers: YouTube Video

I feel as if I go as large as a 6.5 mm I will get all sorts of nasty comments from family members about it, so I'm leaning towards 5.5mm or even smaller. I was also thinking of waiting around for the Amora enhanced to show up again but I might just settle for a FB. I also know that cushions face up smaller but I'm not really sure how much of a difference that will make.

The jeweler I spoke to also said that they could bump the melee down a color grade to match the moissanite and could even have Gabriel and Co shrink the fleur de lis details on the side a bit.

Ladies, what would you do with this ring combo?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-09-2013, 06:47 AM,
RE: Looking for advice on center stone size...
I love that setting. It is beautiful. I voted for a 6mm because it is right in the middle of the 5.5 and 6.5. With your tiny fingers and the halo, I think it will give you nice finger coverage without looking too large. The 6mm is 1ctw, which I think is a nice size for most women.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
09-09-2013, 06:47 AM,
I think it is a beautiful setting and you have a fantastic taste. IMO you would be totally fine with 6mm cushion and in FB in that size it should still be pretty white. Your fingures are indeed small sized at 4.75, but some people rock even 8 mm stones with small sized finger and it doesn't look too much. 6mm is a nice size IMO, but you should go with what you will find most comfortable wearing.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
09-09-2013, 06:50 AM,
jenncent has a 6mm cushion cut diamond on a size 6 finger. I'm sure she will post a pic for you later.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
09-09-2013, 06:51 AM,
(09-09-2013, 06:47 AM)MrsK Wrote: The 6mm is 1ctw, which I think is a nice size for most women.

Is the jeweler you are working with local for you?
I thought 6mm is 0.75 ct and 6.5 mm is 1ct (I have 6.5 mm RB FB). But I might be wrong as it is different sizes with Moissanite. In any case, 6mm seems optimal choice to me too.

Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
09-09-2013, 06:55 AM,
Sparkletiger, those weights are true for RBs. Cushion cuts are a little different. A 6mm cushion is 1.1ct.

http://www.moissanite.com/shop/gemstones...006-1030ct

[-]
  •
09-09-2013, 07:04 AM,
(09-09-2013, 06:55 AM)MrsK Wrote: Sparkletiger, those weights are true for RBs. Cushion cuts are a little different. A 6mm cushion is 1.1ct.

Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining, I only have RB. Live and learn I say!

Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
09-09-2013, 11:16 AM,
I vote for 6mm too. Because the halo to stone ratio will look really different if you do a much smaller center stone. The setting will have the same size halo for every stone size, this is assuming you are going with the G&Co setting, and I think the ratio is lovely as it is.

And cushions face up smaller is you are comparing ct to ct. But when comparing mm to mm, cushions will face up larger.

here is my 6mm cushion on my size 6 finger. Not the best pics...

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-09-2013, 11:36 AM,
I wear a 4.5 size and I also voted for 6.5 before I read you might be uncomfortable with that size. If I could change my vote I would also choose 6mm it's a good size and with the halo will look a little bigger even. Your setting is beautiful!

Customer Service Consultant
www.ashadiamonds.com
www.moissaniteco.com
[-]
  •
09-09-2013, 01:24 PM,
Your aquamarine ring and chosen e-ring setting are both beautiful!

I also voted 6mm. This will be comparable to a 6.5mm (1 carat) round, visually speaking. I have a 7.5mm round and a 7.5mm cushion, and the cushion is for sure noticeably larger.

Try not to put too much stock in carat weights. It's good to know carat comparisons for general decision making, but ultimately a lot of weight rests in the height, which gets covered up once set. What really matters is how much surface area a stone has. That's what will make it look and feel big / small / just right.

I agree with what jenn said, that a smaller center would create a less balanced stone-to-setting ratio. The halo and shank are rather substantial on this setting and a small center could get a little lost.

Sharp mind, soft belly.