Lots of questions!
[-]
  •
12-26-2013, 03:05 PM,
Lots of questions!
Hi everyone! Smile
I'm new to the forum, just signed up after snooping around on it all evening, lol. I've recently discovered moissonite and love it! But before actually getting one I have a million questions to which I have found no online answers yet, maybe you can help?

1) Is moissonite a good engagement/wedding ring stone? As in, can it be worn, every day all day, with little/no risk? Or does one have to think to remove it when showering/swimming/gardening/whatever? (I know a lot of jewelers recommend you remove diamond rings too, but I'm bound to lose it sooner or later if I do... I'm looking for a small stone in a low profile setting, if that helps in context.)

2) From what I've seen, the possible colors are: unenhanced, white, pink, green, blue, and I've heard mention of red...?
- What are your favorites?
- Is there no purple?
- Are there any videos comparing all these colors together? I'm especially interested in a comparison of white and very pale "barely pink", do you know where I could find one?
- What's the difference between enhanced and not? (checking: Forever Brilliant is the name of the enhancement?) I've read about coatings, is that something different? Does the coating come off with wear?
- Does the color of the stone affect the color of its fire?

3) What are the best resources? I'm particularly interested in a not-too-big trillion cut, but from what I found, that cut is hard to find, not overly common, so even harder to get in colors/enhancement...? Since moissonite is lab-grown, does anywhere offer "custom" stones, where you choose color/cut/etc ?

4) I love all the pics posted on the forum, I greatly enjoy then, but would love to see pics of unusual moissonites! such as trillion cuts, and green moissonites, for example

I have a million other questions but I think this is a good start Smile
Thanks in advance for your help!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-26-2013, 03:38 PM,
RE: Lots of questions!
Hi @keela! Welcome Smile

I think moissy is great as an everyday stone! There are risks of chipping, but as you said, there are with diamond too. If it is a smaller stone, low set, and bezeled maybe?, it reduces your chances of damage. And I would always suggest insurance.

My fav is barely pink. Red does not exist, that anyone has seen. Schubach's had a few purples, but very limited stock. I have not seen a video of them all together.

but pink and white together here

FBs are whiter, they are not coated. FB vs regular

green moissy

Trillions are not hard to get, any vendor should be able to order it for you.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-26-2013, 03:45 PM,
blue trillion

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
12-26-2013, 04:09 PM,
Hi Jenncent!
Thanks so much for the info and vids!

Question about the FB vs regular vid -- the regular seems to have more colorful sparkles, is that the case IRL or just an illusion from the vid?

And, HOLY COW I want that green!!! Where can I get it??
I thought the colored moissonites were in the pale-to-medium color range, I didn't know they could be so intense!
Does deep fuchsia pink also exist?
Oooooooh the possibilities this knowledge has just opened up... LoveLove

[-]
  •
12-26-2013, 04:09 PM,
and purple square brilliant

http://vimeo.com/album/2380544/video/65873814

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
12-26-2013, 08:12 PM,
Welcome! Glad you could join us.

I'll try to answer some of your questions too.

1) Is moissanite a good engagement/wedding ring stone? As in, can it be worn, every day all day, with little/no risk?

Yes, it is good for engagement rings and wedding sets. It harder on the Mohs Scale than sapphire, and we know sapphires are good for daily wear as well.

2) What are your favorites? What's the difference between enhanced and not? (checking: Forever Brilliant is the name of the enhancement?) I've read about coatings, is that something different? Does the coating come off with wear? Does the color of the stone affect the color of its fire?

My favorite shapes are OECs, then cushion, then round brilliant. C&C stopped doing the FB enhancement, because they have new whiter rough to cut. You can still purchase stones that have the original FB enhancement. The enhancement is not a coating, so there is no worry of it coming off. Color does not affect fire.

3) What are the best resources? Since moissanite is lab-grown, does anywhere offer "custom" stones, where you choose color/cut/etc?

I prefer buying my moissanite from Schubach's, because I know Beth will pick the stones for me. However, you can get moissanite from any jeweler that can order it for you. You cannot get custom stones.

[-]
  •
12-26-2013, 08:18 PM,
(12-26-2013, 04:09 PM)keela Wrote: Hi Jenncent!
Thanks so much for the info and vids!

Question about the FB vs regular vid -- the regular seems to have more colorful sparkles, is that the case IRL or just an illusion from the vid?

And, HOLY COW I want that green!!! Where can I get it??
I thought the colored moissonites were in the pale-to-medium color range, I didn't know they could be so intense!
Does deep fuchsia pink also exist?
Oooooooh the possibilities this knowledge has just opened up... LoveLove

Some people feel like unenhanced have more colourful sparkles. I can't say, but @stardust may be able to answer. Smile She has both.

Dark green is not coated, and we have some. Smile I am not sure who else does. There is no fuchsia pink, sadly.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsK's post:
  • stardust
12-26-2013, 08:20 PM,
Yeah, I've seen a few say that unehanced throws more rainbow sparkles and enhanced is more white. I've had both. Truthfully, I cannot tell the difference.

[-]
  •
12-26-2013, 10:40 PM,
I get the pastel colors in unenhanced-just not chunky like the OEC's. I definitely feel like unenhanced throw more color.

[-]
  •
12-26-2013, 11:01 PM,
I have had both enhanced and unenhanced rb and an unenhanced oec. My enhanced had more white light flashes and the unenhanced throws more color. I can see the difference. I love both :-)