Lotus ring project thread (with CADs :) )
[-] The following 1 user Likes battah's post:
  • RSS
04-11-2013, 09:09 AM,
Lotus ring project thread (with CADs :) )
Ok I'm finally posting my project thread for the ring I've been talking about but not posting about Smile This is my first moissanite jewelry and I'm really excited. Beth at Schubach's hand-picked a gorgeous 8.5mm round brilliant FB stone for me, which I just sent back to her yesterday. It's gorrrgeous and I love it.

Gratuitous stone shot:
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Now, the setting. Initially I'd fallen in love with the scroll setting that wishingandhoping had adapted from Haven's scroll setting (I think this picture is of Ginger's):

Then I did a 180. I thought, if I have to do a custom order anyway, why not just design something? I used to do henna art years ago and have always loved the intricacy of those designs, and their meanings. So I started poking around, and came across some gorgeous lotus designs. The bottom portion of this one became my main inspiration:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9G...veyCT0r2fw

Finally, my sketch (I had to take a picture of it, since I couldn't figure out how to post a PDF):

It's essentially two lotuses, each one sitting on either side of the shank, and their petals wrap around the basket/stone and touch in the middle. The heart of each flower will be a rose gold circle with a tiny diamond in the middle (those circles marked there sitting on the shank), and the sort of onion-shaped designs going up and down where the petals meet in the front and back will also be rose gold. The rest of the ring is unplated white gold. And the rose gold details will be milgrained, along with possibly the basket. And it will have four sets of double-claw prongs.

Thoughts/advice/suggestions? I left the basket style up to Schubachs, and didn't give much re: the band, either. My wedding band is 3.5mm wide and I think 1.8mm high, so I'll need the band of the setting to look good with that.

Hopefully I'll have CADs soon and will share them Smile OK maybe this wasn't that picture-heavy!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
04-11-2013, 09:23 AM,
RE: Lotus ring project thread (pic heavy :) )
I can't wait to see the CADs! No advice though lol

[-]
  •
04-11-2013, 10:02 AM,
It's hard for me to visualize these things but it sounds very pretty. What Does the lotus flower symbolize?

[-]
  •
04-11-2013, 10:43 AM,
WOW!!! That is an amazing design. Do you have measurements of how big you want the petals? Is this going to be a big piece or dainty?

[-]
  •
04-11-2013, 11:13 AM,
(04-11-2013, 10:02 AM)MrsFloppy Wrote: It's hard for me to visualize these things but it sounds very pretty. What Does the lotus flower symbolize?

All kinds of good things! http://www.lotusflowermeaning.net/

Specifically to me it's the rebirth/triumph over circumstances aspect, since my family and I have been dealing with a lot of stuff over the past couple of years.

It's definitely hard to envision, LOL. Think of the flowers as wrapping around the base of the stone.

[-]
  •
04-11-2013, 11:14 AM,
(04-11-2013, 10:43 AM)Lorrissey Wrote: WOW!!! That is an amazing design. Do you have measurements of how big you want the petals? Is this going to be a big piece or dainty?

Thanks, Lorrissey! I definitely want it to be dainty. The drawing is enormous (LOL I'm not a very good artist on paper), but it'll be small and only a little bit bigger than the scrolling design on the first ring I posted. The tiny petals will hug the stone, and one petal will be pointed down on the shank on each side.

[-] The following 1 user Likes battah's post:
  • Lorrissey
04-11-2013, 12:45 PM,
It should probably look a little like this little lotus, one on each side on the shank, cupping the basket:

[-]
  •
04-11-2013, 01:03 PM,
I suck at visualizing, but this sounds amazing!

[-]
  •
04-11-2013, 01:12 PM,
Smile Just make sure we know the depth/height you want the shank, so it will be the same as you band. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
04-11-2013, 01:13 PM,
This is an amazing plan. I'm so happy you're doing your own thing with the lotus flower. I Heart anything with personal symbolism representing the milestones of life. Our stories make us who we are and they deserve to be commemorated.

Sharp mind, soft belly.