Lower Colored Diamonds
[-]
  •
10-21-2015, 08:52 AM,
Lower Colored Diamonds
OK I have a question for y'all.  One of the things I cannot stand about Classic and FB moissanite is the fact that it gets that dark gray/green cast at certain times in certain lights, but I do like it when it is creamy and warm.  Do real diamonds of lower colors ever get that gray/green cast too or do they just stay that creamy color?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
10-21-2015, 11:12 AM,
RE: Lower Colored Diamonds
I have a champagne colored diamond and it never has a moissanite-like grey/green cast to it. It looks creamy white sometimes, golden others and pyrite-like at it's darkest. I think that grey/green tinge is specific to moissanite crystals. I've worked with a lot of stones, lab and natural, and haven't seen another stone perform that way, so I think it is a quality unique to moissanite.

[-]
  •
10-21-2015, 12:53 PM,
(10-21-2015, 08:52 AM)Brit Wrote: OK I have a question for y'all.  One of the things I cannot stand about Classic and FB moissanite is the fact that it gets that dark gray/green cast at certain times in certain lights, but I do like it when it is creamy and warm.  Do real diamonds of lower colors ever get that gray/green cast too or do they just stay that creamy color?

I haven't seen a moissanite in person before, but I've owned to M color diamonds and an N. They don't get a green cast. Two of them would get darkish in the middle whenever I would get into my car, but that's the only time.

The tint would look more yellow or even very slightly brownish at times, but never green.

[-]
  •
10-21-2015, 05:58 PM,
Green is def just moissy, but grey could be seen in diamonds too.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
10-21-2015, 07:02 PM,
Depends on the color of the diamond, if it is lower color in the yellow range? then no
in the top light brown colors, no
but in the lower colors in the grey spectrum yes and can lean towards a bit of green or bluish. But not in the same way as moissanite.

If you like creamy and warm I'd stick to KLM in the yellow tint range

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
10-22-2015, 08:56 AM,
Thanks so much ladies!

[-]
  •
01-04-2016, 06:01 PM,
It depends on the cut and chemical structure of each individual diamond. Any diamond can have an undertone of yellow, gray, green, brown, pink. I own an M or maybe it's L (never had it graded) modern H&A diamond that was recut by Brian Gavin. In certain lights, it looks creamy pale ivory or palest yellow. In others, it sometimes has a very slight green or gray tone, a bit "sallow." But it doesn't have any of that "murkiness" of Moissanite.