Malaya Garnet Fabulousness
[-]
  •
09-06-2014, 10:32 PM,
Malaya Garnet Fabulousness
Not looking to do this piece for a little while yet, but wanted to plant the seeds of thought for input/feedback on this, especially @EarthDiva for her fabulous taste in "substantial" pieces. Big Grin

The tall crown and fabulous color of this garnet was irresistible. I want a bold, colorful piece, and at almost 4.5 cts and 11x9 mm, this gorgeous garnet is bang on! Banana

Seller's photo from original vendor
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Seller's photo from original vendor

Right now, here is my favorite setting style - cokitty's red spinel SK ring on PS Drool but I would probably go with a rose gold basket & prongs for the garnet, and the rest in white gold. I also think I would like the gallery different somehow, maybe without the diamonds and surprise red stone. Huh Lastly, I am thinking about white sapphire half moons because I don't want them to "over-bling" the center.

What do ya'll think? Popcorn

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-06-2014, 10:39 PM,
RE: Malaya Garnet Fabulousness
I love the color (and size, LOL...11x9 is awesome!). That setting is phenomenal, too, SF! Love the fluidity...the half moons and the whole bit! Perfect and classy!

[-]
  •
09-06-2014, 11:08 PM,
Thank you @EarthDiva. I am pretty excited about it. Smile

Any ideas/suggestions on HM size/ratio? I was looking at cokitty's thread, and came across this pic of the stones laid out, but she never mentioned the half moon sizes to gauge her ratio, which looks perfect IMO. They look just slightly longer than half the length of her stone. I don't know about finding white sapphire half moons, but if I went the moissy route, C&C has some that are 5.5 x 3.5 mm but I don't know those would be wide enough. Huh Her spinel is 9.75 x 7.95, so that might be close to what she has, which means I might need them a smidge bigger.

[-]
  •
09-06-2014, 11:08 PM,
Oh I love the idea, and I also love the size! Looks like a little piece of candy yum!

[-]
  •
09-06-2014, 11:10 PM,
Pretty stone. Good size too! I love the idea of rose gold basket or prongs and it would really make the color pop! Personally, I might prefer YG over rose though because the garnet seems to have some orangey-red and YG might complement better.

[-]
  •
09-06-2014, 11:12 PM,
(09-06-2014, 11:08 PM)SparkleDancer Wrote: Looks like a little piece of candy yum!

Then we shall call this one "Ring-Pop". Thank you! Big Grin

[-]
  •
09-06-2014, 11:14 PM,
@GraceA It is a "melon-y" color in most light settings, but shifts to a coppery color in some fluorescent lights. I don't think I could go wrong with either option really. I will play with it against both colors tomorrow and post pics. Wink

[-]
  •
09-07-2014, 04:30 AM,
I love the size and color!! Wowee

On other sites, I am aka JadoreDiamonds or ArtdecoLover71 but trying to keep it to one name now :-)

*loving all things diamond, old and new, with art deco flare!
[-]
  •
09-07-2014, 07:07 AM,
I played with cokitty's arrangement a bit in a drawing program and did some math based on her spinel's measurements, and it looks like she has approximately 5.5 x 3.2 mm half moons. Using her ratio and my stone's measurements, I might need approximately 6.5 x 3.5mm half moons to keep a similar ratio.

Here is the garnet with rose & yellow gold. The only time it goes copper is in fluorescent lights. The others are indoors in indirect natural and incandescent lights, and outdoors indirect light.

[-]
  •
09-07-2014, 07:41 AM,
I am really loving the color of that stone! I would love to find an EC garnet that color for my yellow gold old flower ring! Love how it go coppery. Now you are going to make me go hunting. *wink*