Marquise diamond ring project
[-]
  •
10-29-2015, 05:54 AM,
Marquise diamond ring project
So I bought this 0.83ct marquise diamond from MyDiamondZone on Ebay - I couldnt resist! I got it for a splendid price (Ilya said if it was any other shape with those specs that it would be a lot more expensive. I guess marquise diamonds are still really unpopular. Lucky for me!!)

It is only 0.83ct, but being the shape it is (9.05mm X 5.13mm), I think it will look more substantial than a 1ct of any other shape. So I'm happy with that.

Here are some pics of the diamond:

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Here is a video of the diamond:

And here is my inspiration ring:

At this stage, I am thinking of going with a solitaire (the marquise shape is going to be unique enough) or possibly with diamonds in the shank. I do love haloed marquise rings but I dont feel like I could pull it off when the diamond is already 9mm X 5mm (and I'm used to wearing a 5.5mm round!!)
Do you ladies want to share other inspiration pics of marquise erings with me before I leap into the design phase?? Would love to see any marquise rings you have stored away in a favourites folder

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
10-29-2015, 12:55 PM,
RE: Marquise diamond ring project
Congrats on getting it for a great price. It looks beautifully cut and a very nice looking stone.

[-]
  •
10-29-2015, 08:31 PM,
That really does pack a punch!  I love a marquise.  :LoveLove Can we see a profile shot?  Will you wear a band with it?

[-]
  •
10-29-2015, 09:45 PM,
It's beautiful @Bling It On  Heart Have you thought about an E/W setting?  With a dainty little halo?  For some reason I am obsessed with that style, lol.

[-]
  •
10-30-2015, 02:28 AM,
She is a beauty! Glad you snapped it up, can't wait to see how you end up setting it!

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
10-30-2015, 04:37 AM,
@wiigal - I haven't seen it yet, but I am assured by Ilya from MyDiamondZone that it is a wonderful diamond with excellent cut (and he is pretty honest about diamonds he has in stock in my opinion). And the price was so good (bought it for a song) that I'm really glad that marquise diamonds are so unpopular! Very exciting
@stardust - that is not my marquise solitaire in the pics above, but my inspiration ring. I havent finalised the design for my ring yet, but it is most likely to be set N/S with no halo (I can't pull off a halo marquise at this size)
@EarthDiva - EW marquise settings are amazing.... seen so many that I have lusted over. Like these amazing rings:

Unfortunately, DH thinks EW marquise settings are odd looking so I am probably going to go with traditional NS setting. Of course, I have the usual dilemmas: yellow gold vs white gold? diamond melee in shank or plain shank? what type of prongs to go on marquise tips?

[-]
  •
10-30-2015, 12:07 PM,
EW settings reminds me if Portia De Rossi's engagement ring from Ellen. I think that ring is a beauty.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=portia+de+...UxgujyM%3A

[-]
  •
10-30-2015, 07:39 PM,
I like N/S best, I think the E/W looks like an eye, lol. But I would also prob go white metal. Yellow and a marquise *could* look more dated. And for the prongs, I would go with claws. Smile Super pretty diamond!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
10-31-2015, 05:23 AM,
@jenncent - thats what my DH said! It looks like an eye. I think EW is great for finger coverage especially with a marquise, but i want a more traditional look with this one.

I'm going with claw prongs and triple claw prongs covering the marquise end tips. I think that will look nicer than the bulkier v-shaped tips that you usually see on marquise rings. Going with a pave shank but no halo, I think a halo on a 9mmX5mm is too big for me. 

Triple prongs like this:

Still undecided on yellow gold versus white gold. I think diamonds look better set in white gold (just my personal opinion) but i love how yellow gold looks on my skin. Gah the decisions!

[-]
  •
11-05-2015, 06:22 AM,
So here are the designs for my ring. Nice and simple but a bit of bling in the shank and some milgrain!

Not sure about the triple claw prongs on tips though, does there seem to be too much space between the triple claw prongs on tips? Any other suggestions you ladies have for tweaking these designs? I'd love to hear what you think!!