May I Ask An Indelicate Question?
[-]
  •
05-05-2014, 01:00 PM,
May I Ask An Indelicate Question?
I've noticed on this board that a lot of you love diamonds in the K,L, M color range. In my day, no one would even entertain those colors. We had to have at least a G or H, preferably the whiter the better. What am I missing? Have tastes really changed or is it a price thing? Does getting a vintage stone justify the lower color grade? If you were buying a round brilliant, would you be satisfied with a K color? I don't mean to disparage anyone's taste. I just really don't understand and would love to know.

My diamond lady, whom I did business with for many years, could have gotten any stone. She sold on 47th Street in NYC. When her daughter got engaged, she found a 2 carat pear cut, G color, SI1 clarity. She thought it was the perfect stone for her daughter. That's what I'm used to when it comes to solitaires. I know a lot of you are young so please enlighten me. I would like to understand the change in mindset.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
05-05-2014, 01:04 PM,
RE: May I Ask An Indelicate Question?
Well cost has quite a bit to do with it for me but also finding a vintage stone in a D-G is very hard and VERY pricey. I like the warmer look in the vintage settings that I prefer. I love my new stone! I would much rather give on color than cut, clarity or wonkiness.

And I am not young. I must also add that I never thought when I was younger I would spend 10K on a diamond either. Things change.

[-]
  •
05-05-2014, 01:13 PM,
I think it's a bit of both. A lower color grade, yes, enables you to purchase larger stones but they're also gorgeous in their own right. Honestly, I think it's sad that the market remains as limited as it does for them (it was nearly impossible for us to even find our stone). Yeah, white is pretty. But so is cream. Or buttery. Or pale yellow. Or yellow yellow. And a lot of times, if the stone is ideally cut, an M or N diamond faces up MUCH whiter than it's color grade. Our friend picked up a 2ct K brilliant for a modern halo setting and you'd never guess it was a K - it's perfectly cut and almost blindingly white. We bought an S-T stone because I wanted a creamy/yellow color and had it set in a modern setting. Clarity and cut are still things that can negatively impact a stone's performance but color is more of a preference. An M brilliant isn't "worse" than a D brilliant - it's just a different color. Now I have an E stone as well because I wanted to fill the white gap in my life...one day maybe a proper fancy yellow, you know, for balance and what not. Wink

[-]
  •
05-05-2014, 01:54 PM,
I think that knowledge has grown overtime, which can attribute to changes in taste. I think the majority of people still prefer the whiter stones since that is what is the "norm", but there its a small and slowly growing percent that prefer and/or do not mind warmth!

I have a G/H colored diamond engagement ring, but if I were to do it all over again I would trade my 2 carat in for a warm old cut! Unfortunately, DH won't allow for a trade in since the stone has sentimental value to him!

If you personally love your stone, I think that is all that matters!!

[-]
  •
05-05-2014, 02:05 PM,
What JJB said. It's a growing market and I think the antique stone boom is helping to push the rest of the diamond market in that direction, because most antique stones have a little more body color. It's a slow thing that happens over time, but just like metal popularity shifted slowly over time from yellow to white, stone color preference can change from one generation to the next.

I work for a mall jeweler, and we're pretty much supposed to teach our employees that anything below a J is bad. I never thought much of that information one way or the other until I started educating myself more with forums like this one and PS. Now we're seeing more creamy colored stones in Hollywood and that will eventually trickle down. Smile

I personally like stones with some color. I learned for myself by experimenting with CZs. After wearing an Asha ring for a while it was just too white for me. I wear moissy now and adore the color. If I were to buy a diamond I would definitely go to the KLM range.

[-]
  •
05-05-2014, 02:11 PM,
I think there used to be a lot of social pressure to have a white stone, and I think just in general these days it's more about individuality and non-conformance.

[-]
  •
05-05-2014, 03:24 PM,
I agree with all that has been said. I think also that "cut is king" is more popular now, as well as eye clean stones. So people view colour as less important now, as compared to cut. I think before it if had a GIA cut grade of good or above, people were happy, but now that thinking is out the window. It is ideal or pass. Personally, I still prefer white stones. But would not bat an eye at someone else saying they chose a K or cape coloured stone if the stone was a fireball. I would think they found an amazing treasure.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
05-05-2014, 03:39 PM,
For me (and please note I don't have a big diamond!) If I were going over 2 carats, heck, even 1.5, I would like a antique stone with some warmth. The reason for this is that a) it seems fitting with the character of the stone, b) it lowers the price without sacrificing on cut and clarity, and the big one- c) it looks less like a CZ if it has a tint to it. (I think people assume a blazingly white large stone is a fake, to be honest.)

The exception for me is step cuts. I want them white and bright!

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
05-05-2014, 04:06 PM,
Due to the cut, vintage stones often face up much whiter than the stated color, therefore in my opinion there is a greater tolerance of the lower colors in these stones. I agree with OP's that sacrificing color for size, cut and clarity can be a good option.

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
05-05-2014, 04:14 PM,
Two words: Marketing and Money. Why did you pick the diamond that you did? Because somebody told you that the best diamonds were in that color range? Most B&M stores will still tell you the same thing. Why do we like lower colored diamonds? Because we know that cut is king and that by lowering the color of our stone we can maximize in another area such as weight. In short, we are more educated than the average population.