Meet Ginger ...
[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 06:44 PM,
Meet Ginger ...
I got my OMC back today from Amcor. I LOVE almost everything about this ring: the weight, the modern design, the profile, the way the center sits up exposed to all kinds of light and sparkling like mad and throwing flashes of light. I am NOT sure, however, that I love the polished finish on it. The reason being, the baguettes and OMC get kind of lost in the extremely high shine/polish of the metal. I wanted the OMC and it's color to stand out a bit more, but I feel like it blends too much with the 14k unplated polished gold.

I did see the pics before it was sent to me. This is a "me" thing; not anything that I am dissatisfied with Amcor about. Alb executed my wishes perfectly to a T. I couldn't have seen this result until I saw it in person for myself. I did share my thoughts with @poppyseed today already, and we discussed sending it back and having the metal "buffed" to a matte finish maybe (like maybe the lower level gold strips on each side of the bags?), but I really want to open this up to more opinions or ideas first. Another alternative is: I could easily set my sapphire in this ring (and I think that would look lovely also; it's almost the same size), and start over on something else if I decide it's not the right home for Ginger..

Please look through the pics and provide your thoughts or ideas. Popcorn also, if you have ideas on metal finishes that I should consider, please post pics if you have them.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 06:45 PM,
RE: Meet Ginger ...
so pretty!!! I like the polish, but satin would be cool too!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 07:10 PM,
I think this is satin finished unplated white gold; it looks a little warm to me ... Maybe too warm. Can satin finished gold be rhodium plated to look a little more white? Huh

[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 07:12 PM,
I like the warm!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 07:16 PM,
I think a satin finish would look cool, too, but I'm a sucker for satin finishes. Smile I think unplated white, being warmer, is going to blend more with Ginger's warmth regardless of finish, so if you want more contrast you could rhodium plate. I can also see your sapphire looking fab in this setting, though! Maybe reset Ginger in platinum for more contrast?

[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 07:17 PM,
I do too, but with the champagne OMC ... It might not let the OMC stand out as much, wouldn't you think? Or maybe being a matte finish will let the sparkle stand out more, even with the warmth of the matte metal. Huh

I just don't know! Cry

[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 07:22 PM,
I actully find a satin finish to be really rich looking. I think it will be just as distracting as a high polish in reality. The way to go may to be just wear it and let the metal get some love on it. It was scratch and patina and start to look a little more dull with wear.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 07:31 PM,
So I could rhodium plate a matte finish? For some reason I thought it might add a shine to the metal, but I guess it doesn't do that?

[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 07:58 PM,
Here is one on JbG that is satin finished, but in 18k. Might this plated? If so, I think that might be the way to go.

[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 08:01 PM,
The stone is gorgeous! About the finish, I'm not going to be much help, but I agree with Jenn. Maybe wear it and let it get a little wear and tear and then the setting won't be so new and shiny looking. Then decide if you like it better. But that said, I like matte finish too! Decisions decisions...