Metal Question.
[-]
  •
03-06-2013, 09:27 PM,
Metal Question.
I recently purchased a platinum ring and the hallmark looks like it says PT850. This isn't cool, is it?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-06-2013, 09:52 PM,
RE: Metal Question.
This is from a page I have bookmarked.

Platinum is commonly marked with 950 or 850. If a piece of jewelry contains at least 950 parts per thousand of pure platinum, it can be marked simply platinum. If an Item have at least 850 parts per thousand of pure platinum, it can be marked with the amount of pure platinum and the word platinum or an abbreviation (i.e.: 850 platinum, 850 Plat or 850 Pt.).

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
03-06-2013, 09:57 PM,
I always assumed the "standard" for platinum was 950. I never even thought to ask. Now seeing 850 has me feeling slightly let-down - like finding out a 14k gold ring was only 10k. Major name in jewelry, $5000+ purchase, PT850? Wth?

I'm really into my settings. I had no qualms putting a $200 morganite into a $2000+ JbEG. I get as much enjoyment from the setting as I get from the stones - maybe more! So if I am going to skimp on my project, I will cut corners on the stones (which are easily replaceable), not the ring itself.

I know the prices of precious metals are soaring but it seems like vendors are cutting all sorts of corners lately and it is getting harder and harder to get a nice, solid, heavy weight ring like in the past. I bought another piece of "designer" jewelry this year and that thing is TO DIE FOR B U T if I threw that ring in the air, it would float. Last week, I bought a plain rose gold band. It was listed as a Size 6, 3.14g. I requested a Size 9 so one was custom made for me. I weighed it and it comes in at 3g. How is a Size 6 3.14g and a Size 9 3g? Cutting corners again. I am starting to think I should ASK for these things that used to be automatic!

For this ring, I SPECIFICALLY inquired about the gram weight of the ring because I did not want to play the lightweight game this time. They said they didn't know and wouldn't know until it was made but that it was a nice heavy ring. It IS nice and heavy but they do so by downgrading the platinum! I'm a little aggravated.

Thanks, Mrs. K, btw!

[-]
  •
03-06-2013, 10:01 PM,
Can you return it?

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SPARKY's post:
  • Rusalka
03-06-2013, 10:19 PM,
(03-06-2013, 10:01 PM)MrsK Wrote: Can you return it?

I think so but it's custom. I wouldn't want to be a P.I.A. I'm an accountant so I realize the costs associated with making the same thing twice and being paid once. I'm just OFFICIALLY CALLING OUT the jewelry industry. The increase in the price of precious metals has ALREADY been passed on to the consumer. We are paying 3x what we used to pay for rings and they are STILL finding clever ways to save THEMSELVES money on manufacturing the product. It's not cool Confused

They were on BTD a few weeks ago talking about making some sort of Silver/Platinum mix that was still like over 90% silver but now comparable to gold prices. Of course it was much cheaper than 14k gold but still over 100% the price of the same item in s. silver. They made a comparison to the GOLD PRICE and showed how much one could SAVE by buying the "new" silver as opposed to 14k gold. When in fact, what they did was bump up the price of a SILVER ITEM! Damned thing was STILL silver with a pinch of platinum and adding the platinum at the current platinum price should increase the price in ACTUAL dollars $40-$60 tops!

Trickery and foolishness going on in the industry and I think I've purchased my last piece for a long time. I wanted some platinum earrings, a bracelet, a pendant and maybe a band to match because most of my stuff is in yellow or rose but I'm just going to buy some silver (before they jack the price of that) and call it a day.

[-]
  •
03-06-2013, 10:40 PM,
I have never seen 850, so I would be not happy with that either. I have seen 900 and that is alloyed with something else than the 950, and is apparently a bit different to work with. So maybe their was a benefit to this beside cost?? IDK, but maybe ask them why it is not 950.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 1 user Likes SPARKY's post:
  • Rusalka
03-06-2013, 10:47 PM,
I had another vendor make a lovely little item for me that came out quite beautifully but the shank is squared and I prefer a round shank. When I say squared, it wasn't like Euro or anything, it was a round shank but the edges/corners were squared instead of round - think pipe cut as opposed to comfort fit. The original price was a very reasonable $250. I asked this vendor if the shank could be rounded off and maybe a little heavier. They said sure but it would cost an ADDITIONAL $350 and that they needed to do a CAD. Seriously? How recent is this CAD phenomenon anyway? Hell if I'm going to pay for a CAD of a frigging circle. All that said, I'm officially going on Sparkle Break until further notice. I'll just make-do with what the jewelry I currently own and I'm headed directly back to shoes. They're much easier on the emotions.

[-]
  •
03-06-2013, 10:49 PM,
Bighug it can be very draining. That is why I do one thing a year generally. LOL

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
03-06-2013, 11:03 PM,
Awww...thanks, Jenn. I usually tie my major jewelry purchases to significant events (good or bad). If it's a good event, I think about it and have warm fuzzy feeling when I look at the piece (like my wedding ring or my class rings). If it's a bad event, like a breakup, I look at the piece and think of how much better it is to have it than ______! And morbid as it is, I also think well so-and-so family member will get this one when I die and I like for them to have a good value. Waaayyyy too exhausting for something that's supposed to be fun.

[-]
  •
03-06-2013, 11:23 PM,
I tend to forget how small jewelry really is and agonize over .1mm details. So I can't say that I tie it into other things in my life the way you do, but I spend so much time planning every small detail that I do get drained by it. And it IS supposed to be fun, lol. I still do rnjoy the process, but I think my favourite time is when I have finalized a design and am waiting for it to come. That "Christmas morning" feel is the high for me, as sick as that is, lol.

But, I do make things with the intention that my kids will have them one day, and that makes me really happy. Smile

I understand taking a break though. Smile Try Pinterest as a diversion. "Collecting" pins there is free, and very rewarding to create pin boards, lol. And I agree with shoes... buy some Tieks.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers