Metal color comparison shots
[-] The following 2 users Like battah's post:
  • Bethany, Munster Cat
06-02-2013, 11:32 AM,
Metal color comparison shots
I thought it might be helpful if I posted, and if anyone else did too, comparison shots of different metals. I always used to think all white gold was created equal and I liked it, and all yellow gold was the same and I didn't care for it, but now I'm finding that different alloys look different and I'm loving the in-between colors. I recently got an 18k unplated white gold wedding band, and the color just made me ahhhhh. It's just perfect, and I think it's going to look divine for a giant moissy solitaire some day.

So, the bands I have here, starting with the engraved band for reference:
- 14k rhodium-plated white gold (the rhodium might be wearing off a little, but not much - I had it redone about 18 months ago but the place that did it always does a great job)
- 18k unplated white gold band - I just love that soft yellow color. It glows!
- 14k yellow gold-filled band
- 14k rose gold-filled band
- sterling silver band (my alexandrite ring)

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

I'm not sure if the pictures capture it well, esp because my YG band is really narrow, but the unplated white gold band is whiter than the YG, but yellower than the plated WG. It's such a gorgeous, buttery color. I wish I could get the rhodium to wear off of my engraved band faster Wink

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
06-02-2013, 11:35 AM,
RE: Metal color comparison shots
The 18k unplated white gold is so luscious! Thanks for posting Smile

Pearl pressure is a terrible thing...for my wallet.
[-]
  •
06-02-2013, 11:39 AM,
Oh man, the unplated white gold....yummmm

Laugh More ~ Gripe Less ~ Ignore Critics ~ Order Dessert ~ Say Yes ~ Love Life
[-]
  •
06-02-2013, 11:41 AM,
Isn't it beautiful?? I really regret getting all my rings replated when I last did it. When they were new, the rhodium wore off really fast and they all started to yellow, then I went to the jeweler in town that I love to get them redone, and their rhodium will NOT come off. I don't know what they put in it LOL. I want it to wear off faster.

I also got an ultrasonic cleaner a while ago instead of using one of those chemical jars to clean my jewelry, so I wonder if that helps the plating stay longer.

[-]
  •
06-02-2013, 12:03 PM,
Love the stack

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • MicheleZ
06-02-2013, 12:12 PM,
You can get the plating removed. It is essentially the same process that puts it on I think.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
06-02-2013, 12:15 PM,
I might ask about that next time I'm at the jeweler's. I know it won't be as warm as the 18k, but I do remember it being noticeably warm before I got it replated last night.

I just don't want to leave my band with them for several days Sad I doubt they can do it while I wait.

[-]
  •
06-02-2013, 12:18 PM,
Can the rhodium plated band be un-plated by dipping it in some sort of stripper or sandblasting or something? With all of the restoration work jewelers do, it seems they must have some chemical or tool that would remove the plating without eating into the base gold.

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
06-02-2013, 12:24 PM,
(06-02-2013, 11:32 AM)battah Wrote: I'm not sure if the pictures capture it well, esp because my YG band is really narrow, but the unplated white gold band is whiter than the YG, but yellower than the plated WG. It's such a gorgeous, buttery color. I wish I could get the rhodium to wear off of my engraved band faster Wink

Just bring it to a jeweler and they will polish it off, in a minute and may not charge you for it. Or you can rub it off with a sunshine cloth yourself when you are bored or watching TV, LOL.

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
06-02-2013, 12:57 PM,
HeartHeart

"Don't worry, be happy!"