Moissanite Polishing
[-]
  •
05-22-2014, 03:36 PM,
Moissanite Polishing
I just found out my moissanite stone has a crack on the cutlet. My jeweler suggested we send it to a diamond polisher. It should cost between $150-200. Does anyone know anything about this? Would it come out looking perfect? I'm thinking I should just replace the stone with a new one although it will cost quite a bit more. I have no idea how this happened but my jeweler said it's quite common with diamonds. It's an older stone, not enhanced. It's 10mm so it shows through the table of the stone. Would you re polish or replace it if it was your decision?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
05-22-2014, 03:41 PM,
RE: Moissanite Polishing
Moissanite has to be polished in a special way or it turns kinda brown. But since you really have nothing to lose, I would try the repolish just to see what happened.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
05-22-2014, 03:46 PM,
I probably would not waste the money repolishing it because you will be out the $150-$200 and then might have to buy a new stone anyway.

[-]
  •
05-22-2014, 03:50 PM,
But maybe it would turn a pretty champagne colour?!?!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
05-22-2014, 04:27 PM,
(05-22-2014, 03:46 PM)idahosubaru Wrote: I probably would not waste the money repolishing it because you will be out the $150-$200 and then might have to buy a new stone anyway.

I'm in this camp too.

[-]
  •
05-22-2014, 04:48 PM,
Thanks for your replies. I had no idea that polishing a moissanite turns it brown! You girls are a wealth of information and have made my decision so easy for me. Now I have to decide whether I want a FB or OEC. No, Jenn, I don't want a champagne stone. LOL

[-]
  •
05-22-2014, 06:13 PM,
LOL, well then new stone all the way. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
06-07-2014, 06:13 AM,
I'm now having my stone replaced and finally saw the chip on the cutlet. Is there any way to salvage the stone or is it a total loss? How about recutting it? If so, who does this type of work? I would just hate to throw it away. Is anyone familiar with this type of situation and what have you done? Was it successful?

[-]
  •
06-07-2014, 06:33 AM,
Can you see the chip when set? If it looks ok to the naked eye, I would just put it into a pendant and wear it. A small chip on the culet should not affect the integrity of the stone. I definitely wouldn't discard it. Or you can sell it at a discounted price disclosing the chip. Many buyers may not care and be happy to get a good deal.

It would cost about $250 to recut it and then you still have the polishing issue where it could turn brown. I would not bother with that.

[-]
  •
06-07-2014, 07:28 AM,
Unfortunately, the chip does show through the table right in the middle. I would never have replaced it if it couldn't be seen. It sounds to me, by what you are saying, that there's just no hope for it to be repaired in any way. I don't believe anyone would buy it with this obvious flaw. I wonder how Charles & Colvard cut and polish the stones and don't turn them brown. I will just have to take this as a loss.