Moissanite cutting
[-]
  •
08-04-2014, 04:34 PM,
Moissanite cutting
So right now, C&C produces the rough, and they are also the only ones that can cut it? Until the patent runs out?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
08-05-2014, 03:04 AM,
RE: Moissanite cutting
I think it's more that they don't release the rough, and thus cutters don't have a supply to learn on: I recall someone sending a RB moissanite for a recut, and it turning brown on the wheel for reasons no one could quite articulate. This is all dimly remembered, though ... will hope a cutter or direct customer chimes in!

[-]
  •
08-05-2014, 06:22 AM,
The way I understand it is that C&C doesn't have any part in the "growing" of the rough, they just cut it and sells it. Their patent cover the cutting of silicon carbide into a faceted gemstone and then selling those gemstones. The rough they have came from a company called Cree who actually primarily grows silicon carbide for use in LED's and for abrasives, not for the jewelry industry. Also from what I understand C&C has not been going back to Cree for more and more rough all this time, they bought a bulk amount at one time and have not purchased more since. But that conflicts with the theory that they newer stones are whiter due to them being cut from new rough. So on that part I am still a bit hazy and finding information on what is happening currently between the companies is understandably harder. I did some looking into all this, because I was really curious, and Cree is not the only company growing silicon carbide, there a lots of other and even older companies in the industry that have the abilities to grow it for use in the jewelry industry as well as the current industries that use it. The whole Amora Gem thing got me interested in just how lucrative this silicon carbide gemstone thing could be after the patent is lifted and it is a free for all. From the outside and from a TOTAL lay persons view it looks like there can be a considerable amount of competition come August 2015.

[-]
  •
08-05-2014, 01:24 PM,
Wow. very interesting. But sounds like there will be a learning curve for any other companies wanting to get their feet wet.

[-]
  •
08-05-2014, 01:29 PM,
It could be there is some truth in what you heard about a bulk purchase, @Brit . Maybe they recently ran out and made another bulk purchase. I think it makes sense to bulk purchase if you arent producing it,for consistancy. But if you get a yucky batch....But if you are producing it yourself,I would think it gives more control on quality, and you then grade it.

[-]
  •
08-05-2014, 07:20 PM,
@Brit Thanks for doing the research. Let us know if you find out anything else on this. I agree, I think there will be a lot more competition once the patent is lifted. But it may take new competitors a few years to get the cutting right, and start to market the products. I really wonder how this will affect the future pricing of the Amora Gem and Moissanites. Usually more supply means lower prices. Less says he will be raising prices in September. Hmmm....

[-]
  •
08-06-2014, 07:13 AM,
oops

[-]
  •
08-06-2014, 07:24 AM,
@gatorgrl The science is there and I am sure anyone remotely interested in this is working on that end. @wiigal I did most of this checking right before the AG was released so it is possible C&C went back to Cree knowing that the AG was coing out to give them a run for their money. I really don't think it will take very long to see other nice stones though. It is very easy to put a stone into a gemscope and and find out its exact dimensions, angles, etc... so you can cut a match. Less it smart in that since he ended up going through the patent issues with C&C and how they protected them in the end, he knows that the way to protect his work would be to make sure he got patents on his H&A cut and AG's form of silicone carbide. No one can produce another H&A AG but BTD. Now whether he tried tying up any other forms of SiC or cuts, I don't know. But I do know it will be an exciting and frustrating year as the choices will be plentiful but hard to make. Knowing us sparkle sisters and our addiction we will want them all as soon as we hear about them, if not to keep, but at least to see for ourselves.

[-]
  •
08-06-2014, 12:26 PM,
@Brit Isn't Less a lawyer himself? I think i read that before, but am not 100% sure I remember correctly. But he may not be an intellectual property lawyer. I think what he is trying to patent is the micro-faceted girdle, probably the H&A cut in those specific proportions, and the AG's specific chemical structure for use as a gemstone. I don't think the USPTO would allow another patent for all the other forms of Silicon carbide when the patent for that just expired. Less claims that the AG's structure is the most sparkly, best brilliance, etc of all SiC structures. It may be true, or it may not be true. But I don't think other SiC structures will be that different. Moissanite is also very sparkly, has good brilliance, etc. So, i think you are right. There will be some other great options coming soon.

[-]
  •
08-06-2014, 04:35 PM,
Might veer slightly off topic but interesting read below if anyone has 10mins to kill...

http://www.investorvillage.com/mbthread....&showall=1

It mentions the bulk buy that @Brit spoke about, the future of C&C with Cree post patent expiration, some opinions on Randy and the future of moissanite in general. I found it an interesting read and tend to agree with some of the points made about the "failures" of moissanite as a result of poor marketing by a CEO who doesn't believe in his own product IMO. Most people haven't even heard of it. :Boo: Hope im allowed express this type of opinion on here?

Anyway interesting article worth a read Chairspin

"Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure"