Moissanite vs Diamond. Whats the difference?
[-] The following 1 user Likes hithere989's post:
  • moissaniteordiamond
01-05-2015, 08:02 AM,
Moissanite vs Diamond. Whats the difference?
Can you tell me whats the difference between moissanite and diamond?

Thanks.

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like Brit's post:
  • Bluespawkles, hithere989, mmascall, OoohShiny, SparkleFactor
01-05-2015, 09:40 AM,
RE: Moissanite vs Diamond. Whats the difference?
Well, the differences are many? Have you done any research yet? Most on this board could write you a novel long post with the answer from their perspective, including myself, but it is information that has been gone over to death. Please don't feel like we don't want to answer you, but believe it or not, it actually is a very long and involved answer for what may seem like a fairly simple question.

[-] The following 3 users Like Brit's post:
  • Bluespawkles, hithere989, OoohShiny
01-05-2015, 09:45 AM,
Here are a few links with the general information about Moissanite:

http://shopping.schubachstore.com/moissanite-education

http://www.moissanite.com/educate/what-is-moissanite

You can start here and then maybe you can come back with any more questions you have. Wink

[-] The following 4 users Like jenncent's post:
  • Bluespawkles, hithere989, moissaniteordiamond, SparkleFactor
01-05-2015, 02:56 PM,
In short... moissanite is a man made gem and generally, diamond is natural, created in nature. Moissanite has different physical properties than diamond, inclusing being less hard, but more sparkly. Diamond is the hardest gem available and about 3-4 times harder than moissy. Moissy is more comparable to sapphire in terms of hardness, so slightly more likely to chip or crack. Most people cannot tell the difference, but those of us here that have made this a bit of a hobby can tell by looking. 95% of the population would need a loupe. And the price... diamond is a lot more expensive than moissy, but as far as sims go, moissy is a lot more expensive than CZ and, imo, looks a lot more diamond like too.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
01-05-2015, 11:25 PM,
Hi all, thanks for the reply. I am new here. Btw, just make a few search. Seems that moissanite a lot cheaper than diamond.

[-]
  •
01-05-2015, 11:34 PM,
Well, diamond is mined. And youre right that moissanite is a lot more cheaper. So, if you are looking for something beautiful that looks so close to a diamond that nobody would ever know that it isn't one a moissanite is the way to go.

Do the search as well for further details.

[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • MrsK
01-06-2015, 07:49 AM,
(01-05-2015, 11:25 PM)hithere989 Wrote: Hi all, thanks for the reply. I am new here. Btw, just make a few search. Seems that moissanite a lot cheaper than diamond.

It is most definitely less expensive. I love moissanite for a variety of reasons, but mainly because I love sparkly things. You get just a little more sparkle with the moissanite. Smile

If you are comfortable telling us why you're looking (earrings? pendant? engagement ring?) we could probably answer a few more targeted questions for you. Many of us here have, or have had diamonds, moissanite and cz's so we can certainly go over pros and cons of each given the use for them.

I would pick moissanite over cz every day of the week. All things being equal I'd pick a diamond over a moissanite. That said they are VERY close in the cuts I like so while I'd pick a diamond if you said I could have anything I wanted, moissanite is a better choice for me.

My 1.25 carat equivalent moissanite was around $400 before it was set into anything. A diamond of it's color and clarity would be around $6,000 before setting it. That's a pretty hefty difference.

If you're buying for someone else though, things can get a bit more tricky.

Anyhow, welcome to the board, and feel free to keep asking questions. In threads like these I almost always end up learning something I didn't know!

[-] The following 2 users Like AdaBeta27's post:
  • OoohShiny, stardust
01-06-2015, 10:37 AM,
I own diamonds, some of which are modern H&As, Moissainites, and czs. If you know what to look for, you can tell which is which. But it does take some training and study to learn what to look for, and I'd say that it's much harder to tell which is which if it's jewelry that someone else is wearing. CZ has to be kept immaculately clean; if not, the performance drops off rapidly. Moissanite and diamond at MUCH better performers when dirty.

If you are talking stones around the 6.5mm (1ct diamond equivalent or less), I think it's much easier to pass off Moissanite as diamond. The newer Moissanites are already whiter than the old stuff from the 2000s, which had a reputation for being greenish. Silicon carbide is greenish to begin with, but the newer processes and heat treatments have whitened them up into the I/J range, easily, and the new Amora Gem is achieving the G-D colorless diamond range. So, manufacturers are solving the color problem that used to be a dead giveaway.

Emphasizing: The issues below, become MORE apparent the larger of a stone you are considering! Stay 6-6.5mm or less, and they will be less obvious.

Color: Larger stones concentrate the color more. True of diamond, Moiss, or cz. A J/K stone of 8mm looks mire tinted than a J/K stone 6mm, face up when mounted, just because the larger stone has more mass.

Cutting style for the round brilliant Moiss is another giveaway. If you are not getting a new H&A Moissanite or OEC Moissanite, the faceting will be "splintery." The first Moissainte stones were cut to diamond proportions but didn't perform well so the faceting and proportions had to be changed to get the most out of Moissanite and it's different refractive properties. Until recent innovations like Amora Gem and the OEC Moissanites, the Moissanite RB was cut with a large table, shallow crown angle, and splintery facets. There is no hearts and arrows pattern in the "generic" Moiss RB. The splintery faceting looks a tad similar to Solasfera RB diamonds, perhaps, buit not like H&A. "Bi-refractive" means there is a visual doubling of the apparent facets, giving the facets a blurry or multiple look, which a diamond does not have.

Fire and personality: Moiss doesn't behave exactly like diamond. The Amora Gem is the one that's hit is closest of the modern RB cutting styles for Moiss. (The cut style has been evolving since the first stones were introduced. There is no "standard" but I gave you the general features, above.) Moissanite (unless it's an OEC or H&A cut) gives off a lot of pin fire. There is NO diamond that looks like that. To me, that pin fire phenomenon is the dead giveaway! I see it in my stones in sunlight, and in lighting like Home Depot, Staples, etc, where those bright fluorescent lights are up high. In office fluorescent, my Moiss stones all show more brilliance than fire and that pinfire doesn't show. Still, a 6.5mm standard Moiss RB passes much more easily than a 8mm Moiss does, if you want it to look like diamond.

"Murkiness": That's my word for it. It's the "dark" that I see in my Moissainte stones outdoors in sunlight. They are fiery, but like diamond, the body color goes "dark: in sun light. Except, that greenish character of silicon carbide shows. I'm not sure whether the newer white-ish stones (std Moiss, not enhancd or Amora Gem) still do that. But I imagine that if the stone is I/J diamond equivalent, that there is going to be a Moissanite character to the body tint that is different from diamond I/J color, just because Moissanite is chemically a different crystal structure.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!
^ Diamond center stones only in bottom left 2; other centers are all Moissanites.

^ Moiss pinfire plus "murkiness." Note there's a lot of teal and purple in there. Diamond just doesn't do that!

(don't know how to attach pics here, hope those show up, only took 4 tries)

Setting: I have Moiss in vintage-style pave' settings and halos. I think they pass better for diamonds in those more elaborate settings, because there is more going on there and the Moissanite tells don't stand out. Moiss in a solitaire offers no distractions so it's easier to see the tells.

[-] The following 4 users Like AdaBeta27's post:
  • Bluespawkles, MrsK, OoohShiny, stardust
01-06-2015, 10:56 AM,
Both 8mm solitiares. The YG one is the newer stone bought 2007 0r 2008. It still has the body tint probalby K diamond, but different faceting. More chunky. But that "murky" / dark look is present in both stones.

Here is a 7.5mm and a 6.5mm showing the brilliance without fire look. So don't think Moissanite looks "murky" all the time. These two are J/K diamond color and were bought in 2005-2006 and are definitely conventional tinted moiss. But well-cut ones that are good performers.

If you get OEC Moissanite, it will look like an antique diamond and observers will not be sure whether it's diamond or not. The chunky facets don't say "moiss) and the old diamonds are mostly J/K color or yellower, and they are more erratic in cut and proportions than modern RBs.
Likewise, the new H&A moiss and Amora Gems will look closer to diamond.

[-]
  •
01-06-2015, 01:11 PM,
^^^^^^ great post!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries