Mounting for OEC
[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 03:44 AM,
Mounting for OEC
Do I need to get a vintage mounting for an OEC moissanite? I think that since it's an older cut, it needs something vintage or estate to look proper. What mountings did you select for your OEC stones?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 04:10 AM,
RE: Mounting for OEC
@Barlan I am still waiting for my OEC Moissy ring from Amcor and I selected exact same ring (setting) as Idahoo Subaru got from them. Mine will be in yellow gold though and hers is in rose gold : http://www.thefacetlounge.com/Thread-Ros...anite-ring
My OEC will be 6.5 mm and hers in that particular setting is 6 mm. For bigger OECs like Sandeek's , Lala's and HS4S , I really love how they look in more classic settings like scroll setting from Schubah's or Incredible Solitaire from Amcor.
I also love the way OEC looks in EmeMac's Jules or Bella Halo . There are so many options really...I just think they look fantastic in all of them..
Some create amazing custom designs with OEC like JennCent 's Ella Bella or Idahoo's flower ring with 8 mm OEC... Those rings look breathtaking to me..

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 10:08 AM,
Where do I find the rings you speak of? Could you point me to them? As for the bezel set ring, it's a beauty but it's a more modern setting for a vintage stone. I thought the rings would have more of an estate look to them. Also, weren't the old stones set in white metals like white gold or platinum and not yellow or rose? I'm probably all wrong here but I am trying to create a vintage ring.

[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 10:33 AM,
I like vintage or antique inspired for the the OECs. Or real vintage or antique, lol. Mine, I made a setting with antique french cuts, lots of milgrain, and lots of engraving.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 10:35 AM,
as for metal colour, platinum was a very popular choice at the time. But if you look at Lang's you can see some pieces in warm metals as well. So, get what you love.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 10:37 AM,
@Barlan I was also going to suggest checking out the Moissanite performance thread. Not all rings there are with OEC, but there are some with big OEC's showing amazing fire, JennCent's and Idahoo's are there: http://www.thefacetlounge.com/Thread-Moi...erformance

Oscar Wilde
[-] The following 4 users Like Circe's post:
  • LaurieLee, mrsmay07, sparkletiger, stardust
12-31-2013, 10:43 AM,
Bezel settings are actually the oldest style out there. Like, ever: archeologists have yet to discover anything more fundamental than the bezel when it comes to jewelry design. They just fell out of favor with the advent of the Tiffany 6-prong setting, which worked so well with the new cuts of diamonds that were becoming available ... ironically, only to turn around 100 years later to co-opt the bezel with the incredibly stupidly named "bezet" line.

(Can you tell I feel strongly? They're like the Disney of the jewelry world! And don't even get me started on *them* and their tendency to steal common archetypes ... but I digress.)

Old stones wouldn't have been set in white gold or platinum until roughly the turn of the 20th century: they would either be set in yellow/rose gold, or yellow/rose gold topped with silver for the effect of a white background for them to fade into.

As for personal choices ... yeah, I like old-cut stones in old-style settings. I'm a little OCD that way. I got mine already set in a lovely vintage tapered step setting, and just reset it into a platinum octagonal setting that I found after trawling all the various auction sites for, like, a month until the right one popped up. But if you don't want to go that route, there are a lot of places making nice reproductions these days. My favorite is probably Hugo Kohl, who's using traditional die-stamping techniques. You don't get more period-accurate than that!

[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 11:06 AM,
Hugo Kohl is great, I agree! And Schubach's and Amcor both carry the line.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-] The following 1 user Likes sparkletiger's post:
  • LaurieLee
12-31-2013, 11:18 AM,
I just wanted to say how amazing and educational this forum is.
@Circe thank you so much for your post, I really learned A LOT today just from that one post.

Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 11:35 AM,
Very interesting @Circe
My grandmother had a bezel set diamond ring that's well
over 100 years old by now.. So I always knew they were popular years ago ...but reading your post was so informative...:-).. I love reading posts like yours that are educational..:-)..I hope you'll post a picture of your newly set ring in its octagonal setting .. You have such a beautiful jewelry collection ..:-)