Poll: What type of collector are you?
I know what I like. Many versions of the same piece.
I like everything to be very distinctive.
A mix of both-I'm guilty of having multiples of things I really love.
Stardust, this is a stupid question and you need a nap.
[Show Results]

Multiple pieces, different versions?
[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 12:32 PM,
Multiple pieces, different versions?
Okay, so it's been hinted at that I may not be the only crazy one here that tends to find what they like and stick with it. To the point of having multiple versions of the same piece. I'm trying to make some decisions now and I'm totally evenly split...but the odds are a bit on the high stakes end with this one.

I am someone who is very happy to buy 6 different 3 stone rings (and have.) Once I find what I like, I get more than one, and try variations on a theme. Ditto with earrings. And I've had about 8 different yellow gold solitaires. Toofunny

So tell me. Are you someone that likes to have many version/incarnations of the same thing? As in, the same ring with different size stones, or the same earrings in different colors?

Do you prefer to have distinctive pieces, and none that really look alike?

Do you sometimes lean toward multiples but try to be diverse?

Or am I just crazy and you have no idea what I'm talking about?

VOTE AND DISCUSS!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 12:45 PM,
RE: Multiple pieces, different sizes
This is a really good question! I'm the kind of person that orders the same dish at restaurants because I know I like it and why risk getting something I don't like? I'm boring like that.

On the flip side with jewelry...I'm in the phase of 'trying things out'. I can't say that I have a 'style' right now, but I know I like bezels and there is another bezel ring in my near future. That makes two bezel rings in my collection. I'd say I'm mixed! I lean towards having multiples of things I like but my jewelry is more diverse than similar.

[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 12:47 PM,
RE: Multiple pieces, different sizes
I lean towards multiples but try to make each one *juuuuust* different enough that I am not wearing two of the same thing. Each time I start a new project I find myself battling between wanting to do something completely unlike what I have versus sticking with my tried and true "formula" that I know I'll love. The reality is that if it's *too* different and outside of my norm I will not wear it but if it's too similar I will prefer one over the other and not wear the second. LOL, so for me it is a fine balance. It also depends on the item. Earrings, necklaces and watches I am less adventurous about.

I also do this with clothing...I buy multiples of the same or similar styles in various shades, because once I find what looks good/feels good I stick with it. Then when my style changes over the years I purge and start over again.

[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 12:55 PM,
RE: Multiple pieces, different versions?
(09-13-2014, 12:47 PM)EarthDiva Wrote: I also do this with clothing...I buy multiples of the same or similar styles in various shades, because once I find what looks good/feels good I stick with it. Then when my style changes over the years I purge and start over again.

YES! Plus when I find something awesome I want multiples on the off-chance that I'll ruin one or something.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Dancer's post:
  • KTrencha
09-13-2014, 01:45 PM,
I'm a minimalist so I like each piece of jewelry to fill that need, and definitely only one of them, so it has to be perfect.

[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 01:48 PM,
(09-13-2014, 01:45 PM)SparkleDancer Wrote: I'm a minimalist so I like each piece of jewelry to fill that need, and definitely only one of them, so it has to be perfect.

Ahhhh. That may hit the nail on the head. I crave perfection, and until I find it, I just keep trying. Once I see something that bothers me, I can't unsee it. Or unfeel it. Or whatever.

[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 02:51 PM,
I am a mix of both. I have two pair of 5mm OEC Schubach fleur earrings because I love them - one in white gold with white OECs and one in rose gold with BP OECs. I really want a pair of fleurs that are a dangle just below the earlobe with 6mm OECs. Someday. My other things are pretty one of a kind like my ACC Stephanie halo from Erica, my Stephanie eternity from Amcor, and my antique diamond and sapphire ring from DK. I love them all because I put so much into their design along with their makers.

[-] The following 1 user Likes EarthDiva's post:
  • Slick
09-13-2014, 03:01 PM,
(09-13-2014, 02:51 PM)idahosubaru Wrote: I am a mix of both. I have two pair of 5mm OEC Schubach fleur earrings because I love them - one in white gold with white OECs and one in rose gold with BP OECs. I really want a pair of fleurs that are a dangle just below the earlobe with 6mm OECs. Someday. My other things are pretty one of a kind like my ACC Stephanie halo from Erica, my Stephanie eternity from Amcor, and my antique diamond and sapphire ring from DK. I love them all because I put so much into their design along with their makers.

But you do have multiple pieces...named Stephanie. Crackup

[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 03:03 PM,
I think all of my things have similarities but I do not buy multiple versions of the exact same thing. I am quite set on my style though, but within that I think there are many things that I can love.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-13-2014, 03:04 PM,
HaHa! Yes I do. What an attention ho I am. It is all about me.... Crackup