My AG cushion detailed review and pics
[-] The following 2 users Like minmorocco's post:
  • IceBling, Rusalka
07-12-2014, 07:54 PM,
My AG cushion detailed review and pics
I received my Amora Gem ring a little over two weeks ago. I've been wearing it everyday since, so I have had a lot of time to think about this review.
My Amora Gem is a 2.48 ct fancy light blue cushion. Si1. It is set in a BTD 2 row micropave setting.

re color: My blue AG faces up white-ish more than 90% of the time. In flurescent light it looks like a very faint aquamarine. In that lighting it does NOT look like a diamond to me. It looks like an aquamarine. That to me is a minus for the stone, not that it isn't beautiful...but it does make the stone look less expensive to the casual observer. Or at least to me. Because if I saw it on someone else I'd think it was an aquamarine.
In sunlight, diffused light, candlelight...pretty much every other lighting condition...to me the AG blue looks white.

re clarity: My Si1 is eyeclean. I have even used a magnifying glass (not a loupe) and still can't find anything. It makes me go hmmmmmm

re brilliance: The stone is crazy brilliant. Sometimes it seems like it glows in the dark. Sometimes it's so bright (in direct sunlight for example) that the stone seems to go white-out cloudy. I did manage to capture a pic and I'll post it.

re fire/scintillation: After all the videos I've seen (hundreds?) of AGs in motion, I was expecting the worst in this category. In fact, I wasn't sure what to expect. And here is where I was completely blown away. The stone sparkles like CRAZY. Especially in candlelight or spot lighting. It is GORGEOUS in my mom's bathroom and restaurant lighting. I lose track of what I'm saying when I catch a glimpse of it in these moments. I'm very satisfied in this regard.
HOWEVER, I cannot manage to photograph or video tape the fire! It's crazy but nothing works! I give up!

re complaints: To me, it seems to need to be cleaned often. Maybe it's the size?

re what jewelers said: I took my AG to two jewelers while shopping for a band. One was a mall chain jeweler and the other was a snooty jeweler. When I went I made sure that I looked the part. Gave my new Jimmy Choos a spin Wink etc. Anyway, they thought it was a diamond. They ooh'ed they ah'ed. They tried to sell me stuff Smile

So I bought my wedding band off Idonowidont.com . I plan to re-do the setting with a lower profile. The white gold is a little worn and needs re-dipping. But the 7 diamonds are VVS1 and VVS2 G/Hs .10ct each. And I got the ring for $550 so score!
I got the white gold 1mm spacer band on etsy for $89.

VIDEOS: Disclaimer I'm staying in my mom's house for vacation. Not my dirty mirror!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGJcVkGeyBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wLZwCmoCCs

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

This photo shows the "white out" effect and also the blue color in flurescent lighting. This is a look that I do not especially like. This is the stone being "ugly"

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-12-2014, 10:55 PM,
RE: My AG cushion detailed review and pics
I have an G colored cushion Ultra AG and it also goes into a "white out" state. However, I too experience that wonderful sparkly moment in the elevator or in dim lights which is just mind boggling. I agree the stone does require a lot of cleaning, but it is a lot less than my previous stone, an asha.

[-] The following 2 users Like minmorocco's post:
  • mmascall, SWK1960
07-13-2014, 09:13 AM,
(07-12-2014, 10:55 PM)HaloLuv Wrote: I have an G colored cushion Ultra AG and it also goes into a "white out" state. However, I too experience that wonderful sparkly moment in the elevator or in dim lights which is just mind boggling. I agree the stone does require a lot of cleaning, but it is a lot less than my previous stone, an asha.

My 1ct F princess natural diamond also has "ugly" lightings where she kind of goes "dead". I guess if you compare the two looks, I'd say the "white out" look is prettier. Also comparing AG to diamonds, if my melee diamonds and band are sparkling then AG is also sparkling just as much if not more. Apples to apples I'd say AG and diamond behave very similarly in various lighting conditions. And if I saw it on another's finger I would never guess AG is not a diamond, no matter what light I saw it in.

[-] The following 1 user Likes IceBling's post:
  • Taeyers
07-13-2014, 09:52 AM,
Actually diamonds have that white out look too. But because it's a diamond, one won't think too much of it. I find a diamond whiting out quite lovely too. It's a different look than the sparkly look but lovely nonetheless. So an AG whiting out should be a pretty sight too and shouldn't give the game away. Thanks for your review. I am happy to know that you're generally satisfied with your gem. It increase my confidence to get one Smile Enjoy your new set Smile

[-]
  •
07-13-2014, 11:38 AM,
I just received my AG a few days ago. The white out is appearing in mine too. Under certain angles and lights, it turns milky white and looks hazy. The facets all seem to blur in together, instead of looking clear and crisp. It also takes on a slight plastic-like appearance. It is certainly less attractive and bothers me a little. But under spotlighting, daylight, and even low light, it is rather beautiful.

[-]
  •
07-13-2014, 12:38 PM,
(07-13-2014, 11:38 AM)wiigal Wrote: I just received my AG a few days ago. The white out is appearing in mine too. Under certain angles and lights, it turns milky white and looks hazy. The facets all seem to blur in together, instead of looking clear and crisp. It also takes on a slight plastic-like appearance. It is certainly less attractive and bothers me a little. But under spotlighting, daylight, and even low light, it is rather beautiful.

Since you asked for my advice *choke, sputter, cough*, I would def return it. Mine is being set right now, but when I had my grubby hands on it, it was clear, crisp & def not hazy. It wasn't milky white either, but mine is also a Fancy Lt. Blue like Min's.

[-]
  •
07-13-2014, 04:05 PM,
Thanks for the advice @SWK1960! Yeah, i am kinda undecided.

It does look beautiful in most lighting. Usually in very bright or low candle type of lighting, it is relatively clear and impressive.

But at certain angles (indirect daylight), it looks glassy from the profile, a bit like fire polished acrylic. In the same lighting, at a frontal view, it looks milky white and hazy. I just don't know if I got another dud, or that is just the raw material. It could also be the size of my stone (10mm). It is larger, so you can more clearly see how unclear or uncrisp the facets are.....if that makes sense.

But i will say that this is the second AG i have ordered. Weird that each stone is quite rather different. But my second stone is an improvement over the first one that I received.

@minmorocco Sorry to thread - jack!

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • mmascall
07-13-2014, 04:28 PM,
maybe try again then @wiigal 3rd times a charm???

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
07-13-2014, 04:37 PM,
(07-13-2014, 11:38 AM)wiigal Wrote: I just received my AG a few days ago. The white out is appearing in mine too. Under certain angles and lights, it turns milky white and looks hazy. The facets all seem to blur in together, instead of looking clear and crisp. It also takes on a slight plastic-like appearance. It is certainly less attractive and bothers me a little. But under spotlighting, daylight, and even low light, it is rather beautiful.

I had the same problem!! I had a fancy light blue round and a normal E color round AG Ultra, and I ended up returning both. They were both Internally Flawless so I'm sure it's the material itself.

I had a very clear 1 carat VS1 H colored diamond to compare with which made the visual difference even worse. I at first I thought it was just a quality of silicon carbide, but then I saw a beautiful FB round moissanite and it was definitely way better.

I can appreciate the moissanite for what it is and I don't expect it to look exactly like a diamond, but certainly the FB was much better than the AGs I had. To me, the AG was like a sparkly piece of hard plastic, albeit truly excellent cut.

EDIT: Do you own any moissanites (enhanced or unenhanced)? I am curious if you think the moissanites are also less plasticky than the AG... or if it's just me.

[-]
  •
07-13-2014, 05:01 PM,
That's it. I'm gonna order one of those h&a RB moissanite s and compare head to head. Or should I just get the new RB cut? Suggestions?