My garnet came! (Pics)
[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 08:37 PM,
My garnet came! (Pics)
My garnet came tonight. Only 5 days! Not bad. It's hard to get good pics at night, but here's what I have. More tomorrow!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

It's a very pretty berry color. A little less purple than I expected, but pretty. It's extremely clear, almost like colored glass. I worried about it being too dark but it's not. It shows more flashes of light in person than in these photos. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks when it's set but that probably won't be for a while.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 08:55 PM,
RE: My garnet came! (Pics)
very suitable for a badass ring!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 09:26 PM,
I think it's beautiful!

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 09:32 PM,
It looks deep and brownish in these photos. And that makes me want to eat it. I find deep earth tones to be yummy delicious and I want to make them mine from the inside. Is that a little psycho? Hurh

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 09:45 PM,
Gorgeous! Do you know what you are go to do with it yet?

No, I didn't lose my mind. It got scared and ran away.
[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 10:31 PM,
(11-07-2012, 08:55 PM)jenncent Wrote: very suitable for a badass ring!

: D Thanks! It's funny, I'm usually not a fan of "cold," geometric cuts like this, but it's the right personality for this ring.

[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 10:33 PM,
(11-07-2012, 09:45 PM)live-love-laugh+sparkle Wrote: Gorgeous! Do you know what you are go to do with it yet?

Yes! Rose gold, claw prong setting with 2mm moissanites on the band. Like this mockup:

[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 10:34 PM,
Tongue  RE: My garnet came! (Pics)
(11-07-2012, 09:32 PM)Hadley Wrote: It looks deep and brownish in these photos. And that makes me want to eat it. I find deep earth tones to be yummy delicious and I want to make them mine from the inside. Is that a little psycho? Hurh

A little psycho ... but hey as long as you don't actually do it! Haha.

(Sorry for the triple post, I couldn't figure out how to reply to everyone in one post.)

[-]
  •
11-08-2012, 02:45 AM,
Looks like pyrope or almandine garnet because of the brown but I could be wrong. It's pretty, how is the cutting? Have you seen it in different lights? Does it black out? Is it mostly dark but flashes lighter colors?

If you want it more purply, keep looking, they are out there Smile Here's another two suggestions for you (I would have suggested it in your first thread but I somehow missed it!!

Rhodolite garnets can be absolutely beautiful - I have one myself I bought from Litnon, and it's a beautiful stone that is well cut and doesn't black out, plus it's not brown.(which some people like, nothing wrong with that, just doesn't seem like it's what you're looking for). They aren't expensive either.

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=8244

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=8764

Hope that helps Smile

btw, love the setting you will put it in Smile

[-]
  •
11-08-2012, 08:29 AM,
(11-08-2012, 02:45 AM)BMV Wrote: Looks like pyrope or almandine garnet because of the brown but I could be wrong. It's pretty, how is the cutting? Have you seen it in different lights? Does it black out? Is it mostly dark but flashes lighter colors?

Here's a couple more pictures from this morning, although it's sooo hard to capture how it really looks!

(please excuse my nails!)

It's definitely not as dark as it looks in the photos. I actually like darker garnets, and I'd say it's maybe riiiight above the sweet point of darkness. (As in, a little lighter than I'd ideally want, but still within the realm.) But, the lightest part of it is also the middle, so I'm wondering if it will change once it's set. The light middle part will have something solid underneath it, whereas the darker edges will probably lighten up a bit with more light all around them.

It was listed as a rhodolite garnet. In person I don't really see brown. Sometimes it looks like wine -> black, sometimes it looks like berry -> deeeeeep red, almost black. I don't know, though!

The ones you posted are pretty, but it looks like they are too light/colorful (and too small!) for me. I'll keep my eye out, but I do like this stone.