My sparkle journey...
[-] The following 2 users Like Lorrissey's post:
  • Olivejuice, Rusalka
10-26-2012, 05:51 PM,
My sparkle journey...
Per request...

Here is my sparkle journey.

I started out with my mom's 1ct Princess Cut diamond ring:
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com! Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Of course I still have this ring as it's a "family heirloom". and when I first got it, I LOVED it! But as time went on, I realized several things:
-no band would sit flush, which I hated. had to wear my band on my right hand and was constantly asked when the wedding date was, etc. etc.
-fell in love with antique cuts and the princess cut is a baby. princess cuts came out in like the 60s or something.
-really disliked how high this is set. Constantly knocking the ring into things and losing side stones AND it was quite uncomfortable -- trying to put my hands in my pocket was a major source of scrapes and cutting and bruising.

And then I thought I lost the ring. (found the ring a week later between the mattresses) I was devastated. But as I was already on the hunt for another set, I pulled the trigger on a custom set.

Please note, this is not my photo. The set is listed for sale on DB and I'm using a photo off DB as I no longer have any photos of this set.

I LOVED this set. It was everything I wanted -- modern bezel, low set, flush set matching band, YG, one-of-a-kind, vegan cruelty-free moissanite.

But the moissanite is an older stone and was quite tinted. The stone was just straight up green and gross and I hated it. It looked amazing in direct sunlight, but most of the time it was yucky AND I didn't really like the "glittery" sparkle of moissy or the cut of the stone.. It just looked fake.

So I sold it and embarked on a new search.

I got this ring:

But I realized it was better as a RHR than a true e-ring type. So while I love this ring to death, I kept searching.

I really wanted something classic and simple, so I went for this one:

It was gorgeous and this was the first kinda big stone I had. 8mm Asha RB. It seemed HUGE, but felt good. However, I'm just not a fan of RBs and it seemed .... I don't know... too predictable. Everyone has an RB simple solitaire. I didn't like that. I wanted something with more oomph.

So then I got this ring:

7mm Asha OMC. But if I thought the princess cut was too high, then this was worse. EXTREMELY high set and I realized that there was no way I was going to do well with all that melee. I know I'd lose stones left and right. I had a champagne diamond ring in a similar setting and was at the jewelers every 4 months replacing stones, so I kept looking.

And then I got Azra:

I thought it was perfect at first. Simple, sleek, elegant, low-set solitaire with the extra oomph being the krupps cut (9x7mm). But it felt kinda uppity. I can't really explain it any better. So I continued searching.

So then I got Jules:

Jules was great.... until.... I started feeling like the Sapphire was a little bland without some contrast stones. and also, I didn't feel like the Sapphire was e-ring enough for me. However, I love the setting. It's very comfortable and low-set, but I will say I'm not a fan of the thick bezel. Definitely would prefer a thin, milgrained one with no pave.

So then I had tons of ideas for the next ring:
I got some unenhanced OECs for a RG JbEG Astin:

I got a 10mm unenhanced OEC for a replica of this ring:

Then I traded the 10mm unenhanced for a 9mm Amora (which I was going to put in Jules):
That photo also shows the "Test" oval ring I got because I knew I might be able to buy the next ring I got:

and while I adored the setting, I didn't feel like it was enough. Felt a little too bland. and of course, you guys know I didn't like the warmth of the stone.

and well, I've always been a fan of the Bella Halo, but always thought it was too fancy for me and somehow a bezel setting would be better, but the more I looked at it, the more I knew it was me...

I also really loved the RG one, so I never considered the PT one they were selling. But since this was going to be an everyday forever piece, I really did want PT, so I went for it. and now I'm walking on air:

Sorry this was a novel, but MoreSparkles wanted to see my journey.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
10-26-2012, 05:59 PM,
RE: My sparkle journey...
Yaaaayyyy, thank you for sharing your sparkle journey! I loved some rings along the way, and I love, love, love your grand finale! Smile

[-]
  •
10-26-2012, 06:03 PM,
so happy that you finally found the one lori!!!

[-]
  •
10-26-2012, 06:31 PM,
I will say that I regret selling Azra. It was gorgeous. I'm hoping the fatty ECs I have coming will help fill the Azra void.

[-]
  •
10-26-2012, 06:36 PM,
Azra and the RB solitaire setting are my other favorites (maybe with an OEC instead of the RB though Banana ). I'm actually in love with solitaires and am waiting for mine from Schoobies!

Your chubby emerald will be great!

[-]
  •
10-26-2012, 06:52 PM,
I love the look of solitaires with stacks or with a fat eternity band.

I'm going to look long and hard for some fun different bands to pair with Bella. It'll be fun going to a jewelry store to try some on and see what they say. I've only ever taken the oval moissy into a store and they all loved the setting and the set, but kinda scoffed at the stone.

[-]
  •
10-26-2012, 06:54 PM,
I absolutely loved (and can absolutely relate to) this post. I too, have a similar journey with many rings bought and sold as I tried to suss out my "style."

I love that you found yours!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Hadley's post:
  • Olivejuice
10-26-2012, 07:04 PM,
I need a nap now. Smile I hope that this one is "it" for you long term. Hooray!!

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
10-26-2012, 07:45 PM,
I loved reading about your journey!

[-]
  •
11-01-2012, 04:47 PM,
I know I've been "hiding out" but I love the new ring lorri! Perfect!!