NYC 14k subway token - because you asked :)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slick's post:
  • LaurieLee
02-20-2014, 09:13 AM,
NYC 14k subway token - because you asked :)
Back story...my dear mom who passed had this 14k NYC subway token sitting in her jewelry box for years and years.

Fast forward to now..DD is leaving the Empire State for Phoenix and as a NYC gal, she is sad to leave the NYC city area behind, but excited to have her dream job.

I took the token to a local jeweler who added the loop and bale to make this a necklace as parting gift for my DD. I am so excited to gift this heirloom piece as my DD was the favorite and first grandchild and they were very close. I have been hoarding my mom's jewelry until the nieces and DD get older, or until I can part with them, whichever comes first.

I thought it was appropriate as She always has a token (ticket) home!

Hope she loves it as much as I'm going to love giving it to her. Thank you all for caring. This seriously brings the tears on as I lost mom and now my only daughter is leaving Cry
Here's some photos.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes sparkletiger's post:
  • Slick
02-20-2014, 09:30 AM,
RE: NYC 14k subway token - because you asked :)
Oh, @Sandeek Your DD is on her way, such an emotional time for both of you. Bighug What a great gift for your DD, so meaningful and beautiful at the same time!

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-] The following 1 user Likes PimpMyRing's post:
  • Slick
02-20-2014, 09:31 AM,
What a nice idea! I'm sure your daughter will love this heirloom and thought behind it. Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes JooJooBee4's post:
  • Slick
02-20-2014, 09:56 AM,
This is such a sweet and sentimental piece! I love it!!!!

[-] The following 1 user Likes EarthDiva's post:
  • Slick
02-20-2014, 10:06 AM,
I am tearing up all over again reading this. It's so beautiful - both the pendant and the sentiment behind it!

[-] The following 1 user Likes magpie's post:
  • Slick
02-20-2014, 10:17 AM,
Awwww! This makes me so happy to see. Heart The sentiment and story behind it is heartwarming, and it makes for a beautiful piece of jewelry. If I was in your daughter's shoes, I'd cry upon receiving it and never want to take it off.

[-] The following 1 user Likes HS4S's post:
  • Slick
02-20-2014, 10:28 AM,
I love it and totally teared up reading this. Having my oldest leave for Europe on an exchange program soon has me super sentimental /emotional. This is a beautiful gift and she is going to love it! You are so amazing :-)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Slick's post:
  • LaurieLee
02-20-2014, 10:33 AM,
Thank you all. What a wonderful reception it is having here! Makes me feel so much better. Now it's got some competition to be honest.
For dd's college graduation we fell in love with and bought her (and me and a niece too) the tiffany infinity double strand necklace that she never takes off. The infinity knot has a tremendous significance to us as well. My mom's favorite t-shirt was from MOMA (museum of modern art) and she wore it often. This black t-shirt has the infinity knot design stitched in white thread! After we bought the necklaces and were cleaning out Nana's closet we found that shirt we had forgotten about in our grief. We both gasped and realized then what had pulled our heartstrings for the necklaces was the knot that my mom had on her favorite shirt. Heart I believe in signs Rolleyes

Now this was before the infinity knot rage we see now. So this token will have some tough competition for neck time, but I think she'll love that it was her Nana's.

[-]
  •
02-20-2014, 10:36 AM,
I am also a big believer in signs, and absolutely love what you have done. It is gorgeous and I cannot wait to hear how she loves it. Make sure you get us pictures of her wearing it!

[-]
  •
02-20-2014, 11:23 AM,
I love it! I think she will too. Thank you for sharing this with us.