New Ginger Ring - need melee feedback please
[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 10:27 PM,
New Ginger Ring - need melee feedback please
So I will be going with the Adwar semi bezel in WG like pics below. But I need help deciding for certain on the champagne melee for the bubbles on the shank. In thinking about the inspiration, when I visualize a glass of champagne or ginger ale, I think the bubbles are all about the same size, but maybe slightly differing. So I would think a mix of 1.5 & 2 mm melee would be good sunken-set, as I don't want them to overpower the ring.

I am thinking a total of six 2 mm (three on each side) & eight 1.5 mm stones (four on each side); scattered a bit with the 2 mm at the top nearest the OMC, graduating down slightly then to the 1.5 mm. They only need to go halfway down the sides though, as anything else really wouldn't be seen and would only annoy my neighboring fingers.

The shank is about 4mm wide at the top, graduating down to about 2.5 mm at the base, if that helps.

Are my ideas about the melee okay, ya think? Too much? I don't think I want to go more, again so as not to draw too much attention from the center.

Pics of ring style to visualize it, though it will be my champagne OMC in the center, which measures about 7 x 6.3 mm:

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 10:39 PM,
RE: New Ginger Ring - need melee feedback please
Kinda like this, but reverse metal to WG & melee to champage.

Yea, I taught Picasso everything he knew! Crackup

[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 10:44 PM,
I love that ring!

I think scattered diamonds would be awesome, but I certainly would not put any more than your picture.

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 10:47 PM,
(07-21-2014, 10:44 PM)OoohShiny Wrote: I love that ring!

I think scattered diamonds would be awesome, but I certainly would not put any more than your picture.

Not even a wee little .5mm inside the bottom quad of 1 mm melee? Popcorn

Thank you. Bighug

ETA: what about on the sides of the semi bezel? Any .5s on those parts?

[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 11:26 PM,
@SparkleFactor, I also love this ring and if you would like to see some IRL pictures of this setting there is a Pricescope thread with the 2ct version in white metal. I assume you will be using the 1ct setting which is a fair amount smaller, but maybe the pics will help you visualize better what you are hoping to accomplish. Here is the link: http://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-...98393.html

I personally think you might need smaller melee sizes to get the scattered bubble look like your inspiration pic in the other thread. (Which I think is beautiful.) HTH

[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 11:52 PM,
Love this setting! Chic, classic, and important. I had (it was stolen) a 2.5 carat diamond in a very similar setting (was a gentleman's setting, actually) and adored it. With Ginger, I love the scattered melee idea but would not put any on the sides of the semi-bezel...much too busy. I think what you illustrated above would be perfect.

[-]
  •
07-22-2014, 12:19 AM,
(07-21-2014, 10:47 PM)SparkleFactor Wrote: Not even a wee little .5mm inside the bottom quad of 1 mm melee? Popcorn

Thank you. Bighug

ETA: what about on the sides of the semi bezel? Any .5s on those parts?

Tee hee. I would not. However this is YOUR ring! I think Ginger should be the star, and just a spattering of diamonds will be gorgeous.

Crackup

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
07-22-2014, 05:11 AM,
@yonder Oh thank you SOOO much for linking that thread! On the second page is another poster with the same ring in a satin finish. That so helps to visualize the end result. I think we are actually using the 1.5 ct version since Ginger is only 8 pts shy of that, and needs a little more room to accommodate her shapely old mine cut curves. LOL

I wondered it my melee choice might be a smidge too big given how narrow the shank is. Should I consider 1 & 1.5 mm instead, ya think? It's so hard to make these decisions not having the ring and melee in hand to see the difference.

@EarthDiva that is so horrible that your ring got stolen! Was it ever recovered?

@OoohShiny LOL thanks!

I really appreciate everyone's feedback & suggestions on this! Thank you so very much! Grouphug

[-]
  •
07-22-2014, 05:17 AM,
Oh, one last question - I was thinking of leaving the top part/edge of the semi bezel (that you see when looking face down) a high polished finish since it is right next to Ginger. Given the rest of the ring will be a satin finish, does that sound right/nice? That seems to be how I usually see them.

Here is a similar one from that PS thread:

[-]
  •
07-22-2014, 09:25 AM,
I would do the X layout twice... so 8 stones all together I think. As it is now, it looks like the top 3 are scattered and then the bottom for are lined up. Tp my eyes anyway. Or, I would go for a more whimsical approach, and try to get a more random look.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website