Newbie needs some moissanite help!!
[-]
  •
08-10-2014, 04:11 PM,
Newbie needs some moissanite help!!
Hello everyone! New poster here and really need some help!!

I'm looking to have a right hand right made and am having some trouble fully committing to a moissanite stone after some things I have read.

I can't seem to find anyone who has the Amora moissanite, so I'm thinking of going with the Forever Brilliant (the Amora Gem is not available in Canada yet Sad booo). However, my concern is that I've read in many places that the FB stones are coated, and this coating scratches/wears off over time and that it is in no way permanent. Does anyone have any experience with this, or can tell me if this is true or not??

My other concern is the band I'm having the stone set in. The band is 18kt Rose Gold (I had asked if they could make it in 14kt, and they only work with 18kt). I've heard some people say that a Rose Gold setting will make the stone warmer looking, but also heard the exact opposite. Does anyone have experience with this as well? Or does anyone have photos of their moissanite in a rose gold setting?

My other alternative was to purchase a barely pink stone as the centre stone, but was informed by Beth at Schubach's that it is in fact a coating that can fade. Though they do re enhance them, it's only twice a year and being that I'm in Canada, that's a bit of a hassle for me! I would prefer to go with a clear stone (even though I absolutely adore the barely pinks from Schubach's!!), but I'm worried about how it will look in the setting. I understand Moissanite WILL show some warmth, and I understand it's not a diamond and has it's own characteristics. I absolutely love the sparkle they give, but I don't want something that's going to look yellow in my setting...

OH!! And the last thing! Is it worth it to get the H&A cut Forever Brilliant Moissanite? Or just stick with the regular FB Moissanite?

I appreciate all your advice and photos!! Smile

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
08-10-2014, 04:35 PM,
RE: Newbie needs some moissanite help!!
Welcome @Ashley37 !!!!!

Forever Brilliant stones are not coated in any way so no worries. Smile

No firsthand experience here, but many members have experienced rose gold adding unwanted tones to the moissy, but you can avoid this by doing a white gold basket/head and rose gold shank.

The H&A cut is an option if you like hearts and arrows! I prefer the regular RB myself, but it's definitely an individual thing.

[-]
  •
08-10-2014, 04:37 PM,
Oh yeah, a barely pink would be gorgeous in a rose gold setting! have you seen @jenncent 's oval? It's fab! You do have to take certain precautions with those coated stones, though, so if it will worry you (it does me) I'd stick with the uncoated clear stones. HTH! Smile

[-]
  •
08-10-2014, 04:41 PM,
Thank you for the welcome @EarthDiva !! I'm glad to hear that the FB stones are not coated, that definitely removes some of my concerns Smile

I'm hoping some other members might chime in with their Rose Gold/Moissanite experiences, as I would REALLY like the rose gold setting. White gold just does nothing for my skin tone, and I've never been too keen on yellow gold. The rose gold is just such a beautiful tone!

What are the differences between the H&A cut and the regular cut? I notice there is an 80$ difference in price on Moissanite Co's website.

[-]
  •
08-10-2014, 04:43 PM,
(08-10-2014, 04:37 PM)EarthDiva Wrote: Oh yeah, a barely pink would be gorgeous in a rose gold setting! have you seen @jenncent 's oval? It's fab! You do have to take certain precautions with those coated stones, though, so if it will worry you (it does me) I'd stick with the uncoated clear stones. HTH! Smile

I have seen her rings!! They are TO DIE FOR! I absolutely ADORE the barely pink colouring, but was told they do fade Sad I'm in Canada, so shipping back and forth to get it re enhanced when it needs it, is a bit of a pain. Does anyone know how quickly they tend to fade, and what type of precautions are needed to care for them? I'm very gentle with my jewellery and take very good care of any items I do have!

[-]
  •
08-10-2014, 04:51 PM,
(08-10-2014, 04:41 PM)Ashley37 Wrote: Thank you for the welcome @EarthDiva !! I'm glad to hear that the FB stones are not coated, that definitely removes some of my concerns Smile

I'm hoping some other members might chime in with their Rose Gold/Moissanite experiences, as I would REALLY like the rose gold setting. White gold just does nothing for my skin tone, and I've never been too keen on yellow gold. The rose gold is just such a beautiful tone!

What are the differences between the H&A cut and the regular cut? I notice there is an 80$ difference in price on Moissanite Co's website.

If you like the cut of the Amora Gem, you will probably like the H&A moissy. I have not seen either in person, only in videos/pics but there are very distinct arrows visible versus the moissanite RB where the facets are less defined/more sprinkled around. The non-H&A moissys that have been produced lately are gorgeous, IMO. I'd check out the videos or if push comes to shove you can order both and decide in person.

I think @MrsK @idahosubaru @jenncent have all had moissy set in rose gold. I am no help there, I'm afraid.

[-]
  •
08-10-2014, 04:56 PM,
I can't comment on the moissy in RG, but I just wanted to say hello & Welcome

[-]
  •
08-10-2014, 04:56 PM,
I have an OEC moissanite pendant and ring, both set in rose gold. The stones look significantly warmer in rose gold than they do unset, but I find them to be a creamy/buttery ivory color with no hint of the dreaded greenish tinge. I got an OEC FB moissanite for my e-ring project, and it is 2 or 3 color grades whiter than the unenchanced ones - noticeable, but not a game changer if you need a near-colorless stone.

If you like the modern cuts though, I wouldn't hesitate about popping an RB into a rose gold setting. Though going with white gold prongs/head/basket might still be advisable if you're color sensitive. I have old unenchanced RB studs and they are very white to me, though that is helped along by their white gold setting and small size (5mm) - bigger stones generally seem to hold more color. The newer rough looks whiter than ever and the new "regular" RB cut has also improved recently... it's close enough to the H&A that I wouldn't pay extra for the H&A unless I loved really obvious arrows... which I don't.

[-]
  •
08-10-2014, 05:02 PM,
(08-10-2014, 04:51 PM)EarthDiva Wrote:
(08-10-2014, 04:41 PM)Ashley37 Wrote: Thank you for the welcome @EarthDiva !! I'm glad to hear that the FB stones are not coated, that definitely removes some of my concerns Smile

If you like the cut of the Amora Gem, you will probably like the H&A moissy. I have not seen either in person, only in videos/pics but there are very distinct arrows visible versus the moissanite RB where the facets are less defined/more sprinkled around. The non-H&A moissys that have been produced lately are gorgeous, IMO. I'd check out the videos or if push comes to shove you can order both and decide in person.

I think @MrsK @idahosubaru @jenncent have all had moissy set in rose gold. I am no help there, I'm afraid.

I think I might just stick with the regular FB Moissanite. Though I very well might just order them both to compare in person! Thanks for your help Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes SparkleFactor's post:
  • Ashley37
08-10-2014, 05:02 PM,
Also, if you're considering a newer cut round brilliant moissy, I posted a photo-documentary thread a little while back when I got mine, if it helps you to see pics. It really is lovely and pretty white to me, but I am not color sensitive, and doesn't possess any of the funky tinges to my eyes. And here it is now set in platinum.