Newbie pearl question
[-]
  •
11-21-2013, 04:16 PM,
Newbie pearl question
When looking at pearls on pearls of joy, I noticed that some of them say
"This strand is available unstrung for your own custom creations or with a white or yellow gold clasp"
Is this standard with pearls? Just buying them unstrung? Does it damage the pearls to just be worn strung next to each other? Would they rub on each other and get dull at the sides?
If you order with a clasp, do they knot it between pearls? I'd ask just pearls of joy but I was wondering also about pearls in general. Do you normally knot them yourself, or have the vendor knot them, or take them to a jeweler? Dizzy

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-21-2013, 05:09 PM,
RE: Newbie pearl question
I think it depends on what you want. Some people might want something in particular (eg certain type of thread like what Jenncent recently had done) so they would get them strung by someone else. If you just want "a strand", it's probably easiest to get POJ to string them for you.

[-]
  •
11-21-2013, 05:12 PM,
Unstrung means that it is just a strand of pearls (not finished necklace), like this:
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!
I prefer buying just strands of pearls because I enjoy DIY projects but if you buy finished product (with or without clasp) it will be knotted.

[-]
  •
11-21-2013, 05:55 PM,
@JuBe Interesting. I don't think I know enough to have preferences about that kind of thing, lol. Thanks for the info.
@Munster Cat
Those are beautiful! Thanks for the illustration. Pearls do have to be knotted, right? It keeps them from rubbing on each other?
Sigh, such a pearl noob but this pearl forum has made me crazy for them.

[-]
  •
11-21-2013, 06:13 PM,
(11-21-2013, 05:55 PM)Bluespawkles Wrote: Pearls do have to be knotted, right? It keeps them from rubbing on each other?

Yes, and also for security. You will not lose pearls if necklace accidentally breaks.

[-]
  •
11-21-2013, 06:15 PM,
(11-21-2013, 06:13 PM)Munster Cat Wrote:
(11-21-2013, 05:55 PM)Bluespawkles Wrote: Pearls do have to be knotted, right? It keeps them from rubbing on each other?

Yes, and also for security. You will not lose pearls if necklace accidentally breaks.

Ooh good point!

[-]
  •
11-21-2013, 07:47 PM,
Yes, those unstrung strands are not wearable at all. You do not just attach a clasp to that. They would have to be properly stung, knotted, with a clasp. Whether you do all of that yourself, or whether you ask POJ or another vendor to do it for you.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pearlescence.co.uk's post:
  • Bluespawkles
11-22-2013, 03:18 AM,
Hanks are bundles of temporary strands, usually bound together with plastic. They are not a set number but the seller puts strands into a hank as that is how he prefers to sell them, by hank. The hanks will be of varying quality within a quality rating (so all AAA but still some better than others). you buy the hank for one price, but if you want to select then the price per selected strand will be more than the price of the hank divided by the number of temporary strands in it.
Temporary strands are not intended for wear. They are to keep a selected amount of full drilled pearls in order and under control.
Pearls are usually knotted (though very small ones may not be and Japanese necklaces are often only knotted at the start and finish). The knotting is indeed to
1 keep the pearls separated though some rubbing won't hurt them particularly
2 to minimise the chance of loss of pearls when a necklace etc breaks - you can lose only one or two. (Which is why Agatha Christie's Murder is Announced is so irritating)
3 the knots act as a hinge so that the necklace moves better
4 the knots stop the pearls dropping down the string towards the centre, making the centre rigid and showing the silk at the clasp.
Typically we vendors will make up one or two examples of items when we have plenty of a type of pearl and hold the rest as temp strands. It also means, as here, that Kevin, like me, does not buy in ready made stock from China. He can custom make if you want longer, shorter, a rope or bracelet with those particular pearls.

[-]
  •
11-22-2013, 11:28 AM,
Thanks that is awesome info! I think I get it now.

[-]
  •
11-22-2013, 12:42 PM,
(11-22-2013, 03:18 AM)Pearlescence.co.uk Wrote: Which is why Agatha Christie's Murder is Announced is so irritating

Lol, that bugged me too :-)